PDA

View Full Version : EGI relay buzzing - car won't start

man its nam
04-26-2006, 02:27 AM
I have a 92 with a blacktop, got home and when i took the key out of the ignition i noticed that the ebrake light stayed on and i hear a loud buzzing sound. I open the hood and locate the EGI relay buzzing like crazy. It buzzed until it killed the battery and now the car won't start. I searched but other posts don't really show any solutions. Any help is appreciated.

NIK90s13
04-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Charge the battery, if the eig relay is still ''buzzing'' it may be bad, try another one, If it isnt another electrical problem causing it to ''buzz'', but it is a good place to start.
I had a 280z years back and the starter relay went out by coming on , it kicked on the starter and my car cralled across the street wile it was turning over, needless to say that was when I stoped parking in gear. That was in 1990.

g6civcx
04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
EGI relay = ECU relay. It should really say ECCS relay, but apparently Nissan was too lazy to change the labels on their relay boxes.

What I would do is check your battery. Then check all your ECU wiring. Maybe you have bad grounds or maybe the relay itself is bad. Also check your ECU to see if it's bad if you can't figure out why it won't start. NOTE: DO NOT SWAP A KNOWN GOOD INTO YOUR CAR. Swap your ECU into a car that's running well. You don't want to blow your friend's ECU :)

man its nam
04-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah we charged the battery and it started buzzing again. Tried to start but it wouldn't start. I'll check the grounds and the relay, and i'll remember to swap mine into his lol. Thanks for the advice.

g6civcx
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
If I remember correctly the SR doesn't use a separate ECU relay; the relay is built into the ECU itself. But don't quote me yet on that. I will do some homework and get back with you.

Maeda
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Fuel injector wires are grounding out.

crazyikimasho
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I would have thought its your alternator, personally. When mine was going out the battery would get weak and the relay would do the same thing.

But since you said you charged the battery that sounds kind of odd if its still doing it. Jon is probably right, its more than likely a bad ground somewhere.

mjjstang
04-26-2006, 09:00 PM
g6civcx, im not doubting you here because from what I understand is your a nissan tech, and all of your posts are extremely informative so I have a questin, I thought that the egi relay was just fuel pump relay, I have my fans hooked to that relay. although they dont turn off after the pump primes and then stops so i guess im wrong.

g6civcx
04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
EGI Relay = ECCS Relay (ECU relay)
EGI Pump Relay = Fuel Pump Relay

Don't go by what the relay box tells you. EGI is really old technology used on the S12. I really don't know why they didn't change the label.

Go by this diagram from the FSM. You can clearly see the ECCS and fuel pump relay.

http://g6civcx.angryhosting.com/S13/Tech/SilviaFog/SilviaFog2.jpg

I believe you are correct. If you hooked it up to the fuel pump relay, your fan would go on and off with the fuel pump. I wouldn't hook it up to the ECCS relay because you don't want any extra current going through that circuit. The ECU is the most sensitive component in the whole car.

It would be better if you wired your own circuit and hook up the fan there.

man its nam
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
we're gonna check everything friday so if you have any suggestions please let me know. thanks everyone!

man its nam
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM
If I remember correctly the SR doesn't use a separate ECU relay; the relay is built into the ECU itself. But don't quote me yet on that. I will do some homework and get back with you.

hey did you ever find out if it's built in?

240nub
05-24-2006, 06:04 PM
i have the EXACT same problem, did you ever find the problem? or can anyone offer some help? thanks.