PDA

View Full Version : Speedo doesnt work anymore

Ricks15
04-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Last night my speedometor was working fine while i was at a canyon spot and after a couple of runs i parked the car and when I was leaving the needle did work anymore only the rpm's work:confused:

xka24detx
04-22-2006, 04:46 PM
try looking under the car and see if the speedsensor (vss) wires got disconnected or ripped out? mine got ripped right out of the sensor somehow

Ricks15
04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
I know this sounds dumb but how does that sensor look like, or can anyone give me a heads up on what area under the car I should look at to find this part.

mRclARK1
04-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Right hand side of the car, down near where the engine and tranny meet right behind your starter; there is a little 2 wire plug I think. See if that got unplugged (happend to me); if not just follow the wires back to the sensor near the end of the tranny; and see if that's the problem.

g6civcx
04-22-2006, 07:24 PM
My guess is that your speedometer broke. It's very common on the S13 to have this problem. The only fix is to replace with a known good. Maybe the easiest way is to find a gauge cluster with similar mileage and swap it over.

As an FYI, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) goes from the gearbox to the speedometer/odometer combination. Check that this sensor is inserted correctly, and that no wires are damaged.

If swapping with a known-good doesn't fix it, check your VSS wiring, and swap the VSS if necessary.

Go to zeroyon.com and download the FSM for your year. Look in the EC and MT section for the VSS location and description.