PDA

View Full Version : KAAZ 2-way just installed... Lots of noise?

RedlineGoods.com
04-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Hi,

I just installed and finished breaking in the 2-way LSD from KAAZ. It's making a HELL of a lot of noise though, but that's not what bothers me, the thing that does is that sometimes you can feel the thuds through the seat of your pants, it feels like the whole car is shaking just a bit... It's hard to explain, it kind of sounds like the subframe hitting the chassis if you have wheelhop...

is that normal? I even called KAAZ and they said it is, but honestly, some of those noises are f***ing scary.

I know I have just a bit too much play in the U-joints on the transaxles and it sounds like the moment the inside wheel skips because the outside one forces it to it releases the tension on the transaxles and that's what's making the noise... Does this make sense?

Did you LSD scare you when you just put it in in terms of the noise and shakes it generates?

Obviously it's not visible at higher speeds, smaller turn radiuses or looser surfaces, so I guess it's OK and it's some tension-provoked noise, but it really surprises me with the scale of it.

Your thoughts?
Maciek

youngmanvr4
04-20-2006, 07:28 AM
I have the same thing. It really sucks. I wish there was a fix but I haven't seen any yet. It might just be the way it is :(

Btw, thanks for the e-brake and shift boot. I'm super happy with them.

matt87
04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
It bothered me a bunch when I first had to deal with it but you figure out ways to get around it. As long as there is no torque or engine braking they both will not lock. So, for example, at stop signs and lights, if it is dry out and i cant slip the inside wheel easily so it doesnt hop/jerk, i will gas straight then let off enough to disengadge my tomei while turning in as late as possible then get back on the gas.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-20-2006, 09:09 AM
It shouldn't be shaking a lot, maybe your subframe bushings are worn.
But yeah, the noise and clunking is normal. I love it! The funny looks you get from people in parking lots and stuff. They look at you like your car is about to break.

!Zar!
04-20-2006, 09:31 AM
That noise you hear is just the diff clunking. It's normal.

It should go down a little after you drive on it for a while.

Either that or you just don't notice it as much.

OT- I'm going to use this thread when someone attempts to claims a 2way lsd is more streetable than a weld locd...

Ritz S14
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Add Ford's friction modifier.. if you can get a hold of some. It reduces the noise. A new clutch lsd will be loud the first few hundred miles.

RedlineGoods.com
04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
OT- I'm going to use this thread when someone attempts to claims a 2way lsd is more streetable than a weld locd...

yeah, if it doesn't get much better with accumulating some miles, I'd have to say I should have welded it completely and saved myself a grand... It sounds just as bad now (it's only got 20 miles on it though).

I'd have to do more testing though especially on wet surfaces. I mean it DOES allow for some slip, so it should allow you to exit hood-first from corners at higher speeds than a welded diff... :)

RedlineGoods.com
04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Add Ford's friction modifier.. if you can get a hold of some. It reduces the noise. A new clutch lsd will be loud the first few hundred miles.

Well, I did break it in like I said, I just wonder how much quiet will it be later on, I expect it to get much better... Or else I don't think I'm going to be happy I don't care about the noise but the shakes do rattle my cage.

Then again I should maybe drift the car more than drive it, I'm sure I'd be smiling' then. :)

n2motorsports
04-20-2006, 10:40 AM
it's normal, my unit likes to clunk alot especially when backing out of parking spaces

driftfactory
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
You could always adjust the LSD for less lock. The KAAZ units come set at 100%. If it is really bothering you, you could pop the unit open and flip the outer set of plates around. This would set the unit at 80% lock and you may find that more to your liking.

s13coupedrfter
04-20-2006, 01:35 PM
As the manufacture points out, you need to do the break-in procedure with kaaz fluid then replace with kaaz fluid. I've had my kaaz 2 way for about a year and very little noise if any at all. I did the break-in about 15 min more than the recomended time. I felt like I was going to vomit but I was just protecting my investment. I always use kaaz fluid and after a year the diff locks instantly! The only thing I can say about your rattling diff is that you answered your own question, look at the subframe bushings and driveshaft condition. Of course thats considering you did the proper break-in. Just my 2 cents:bigok:

thejapino
04-20-2006, 06:05 PM
i remember that break-in procedure. i had to do that with my gt-s with no power steering!

gqxvietboy
04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Once you break in your unit you need to replace the fluids again.

I have a ATS Deftforce and I broke it in(roughly 30mins). It was super noisey after the break-in process. But I drove around the next day for a couple mins taking corners. At low speed turns when I give it gas it'll hop and I can feel jerking from the unit, tires dragging, etc. I replace the fluids again (remaining ATS fluid) with lsd additive and its a lot quieter now and it does less of that jerking on small radius turns. Only complaints come from my wife haha!

Otherwise have fun!

The bad ATS fluid = $97 for a Can - 4 liters.
The good awesome lsd!

I think Kaaz fluid is $50 for a can

gqxvietboy
04-20-2006, 07:03 PM
oh and it never makes any noises when I dont have it in gear or if I push my clutch in when turning. =D

GripR
04-20-2006, 07:10 PM
i love my kaaz, if it doesn't clunk i get scared...

KAZILLA
04-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Just drive in a figure '8' motion at about 10-20 mph for 20min. Like everyone says, after break in then USE kaaz oil. During installing, you use
GL-5 / 85W-90 gear oil (whatever brand you could find). Next, flush the carrier of whatever gear oil autozone or auto stores offer. Then, you use the kaaz oil that came with lsd unit after you drained/flushed the carrier. After 3,000-5,000 miles (depending how you drive) you replace it again with Kaaz oil. Same as you would with your engine. --> Kaaz help link <-- (http://www.kaazusa.com/techHelp/tech_Help.htm) Good luck dorifto monster!!

supportTHEezln
04-21-2006, 03:00 AM
You drive a drift car, noises are good =\

Seriously, my Tomei unit is probably the least annoying noisey thing on the car. It's more the suspension/seating/chassis stiffness that gets on me. Oh, that and cement freeways.

breakindrifts
04-21-2006, 03:26 AM
That noise you hear is just the diff clunking. It's normal.

It should go down a little after you drive on it for a while.

Either that or you just don't notice it as much.

+1 For street driven welded!:bigok:

RedlineGoods.com
04-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Just drive in a figure '8' motion at about 10-20 mph for 20min. Like everyone says, after break in then USE kaaz oil. During installing, you use
GL-5 / 85W-90 gear oil (whatever brand you could find). Next, flush the carrier of whatever gear oil autozone or auto stores offer. Then, you use the kaaz oil that came with lsd unit after you drained/flushed the carrier. After 3,000-5,000 miles (depending how you drive) you replace it again with Kaaz oil. Same as you would with your engine. --> Kaaz help link <-- (http://www.kaazusa.com/techHelp/tech_Help.htm) Good luck dorifto monster!!

Guys, had you read my post, it says clearly I DID break it in. I DID change the oil to Kaaz after break-in. So it's not that. I just hope it's going to get better in time as KAAZ told me over the phone.