PDA

View Full Version : ok, well know i am really confused

smithers584
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM
ok guys i just read about every post ever about upgrading to 300zx tt brakes. Here is what i want to know. It seems to be that people say if i upgrade the fronts w/ stock rears, i will have a bias problem. What happens if i do all four corners w/ lines and the tt m/c? do i still have a bias problem? It seems to me that i wouldnt because that is the setup in the 300zx and i dont think nissan would make a setup with a bias problem. please inform me if i am wrong. also, what if i did it with all four corners upgraded and left the m/c stock. i shouldnt have a bias problem then right, just other problems like soft pedal and would that cause them to lock up easier? sorry, just got the calipers and dont want to spend any more money if the upgrade if b/s.

NemeGuero
04-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't know for sure 'cuz I did Q45s, but I did all 4 and I love it.
I agree with your reasoning about the bias dissappearing.

And yes, the MC only decreases the amount of force on the pedal needed to clamp the breaks.

I'm using the stock MC and I can't complain.

smithers584
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
i would think that the bias is created when mismatching the front calipers (300zx) with the rear (240sx). but as i see it, 300zx tt front and rear were matched together previously to have a good, balanced bias, so even with the stock m/c they should still work great, and idealy with a 300zx m/c, you would have no worries. i dont think bias really disapears, i think it just needs to be balanced because unless you have the same front and rear, then you will always have a bias to the front which is usually larger.

NemeGuero
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Right, I agree with you.

smithers584
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
ok thanks, i would hate to spend money on something that didnt work right. anyone else?

aznpoopy
04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
well... not really.

it just so happens that z32 front and rear with a z32 m/c is close to the stock bias on a 240sx. it's not exact, however. the m/c is set up for the 300zx. different cars will have a different ideal bias.

there was a VERY lengthy discussion on this way back in the day. i believe sykik chimp was the one that kicked it off.

but as it turns out, iirc 300zx 30mm fronts and stock s14 rears are the stock set up on silvia K's in japan. they use a 15/16 master cylinder. so a 15/16 master cylinder, 30mm front and stock rear is actually a good set up, if the information is true.

i think thats the setup option zero is running.

smithers584
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
yeah i read through that whole 5 page theory of people saying that it doesnt work, its hard to find exactly what the real facts are though. i know you are saying the bias would be differrent, but if i had z32 on all fours with the z32 m/c, should that create the same exact bias of a z32, only in a 240. the bias cant change by taking the braking system out of one car and putting it in another can it? if so, how? who is option zero? what are the factors the influence the bias?

DJPimpFlex
04-19-2006, 07:54 PM
ok the stock bias on a 240sx and the stock bias on a Z32 are different. I'm not sure how different, but the cars are designed different, making them have bias diffferent. BTW all stock cars have brake bias "problems". Stock bias is way to far forward for any real race car. It is safer that way, but its not optimal. To have proper bias you need a dual master cylinder set up or some sort of proportioning valve to adjust this. Stock rears and z32 fronts with a 15/16 set up is good. I run 26mm's up front with stock rears and 15/16 and its acceptable. Pedal feel is good and NO fade ever. I had a 17/16 MC and it was to stiff and I couldnt modulate is very well. You need to search some more cause there have been a fabilion threads on this.

smithers584
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
ok thanks for the help. and believe me i searched, and found a fabillion threads, but every person chimmed in with a different opinion and no one ever agreed on anything. i just wanted to see if the topic has been cleared up some. thanks.

sncs14
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=96083&highlight=correct+brake+setup

all s14 and z32 brake info found in FSM's. hope it helps