PDA

View Full Version : Am I going nuts? Engine fan nuts not loosening

Pergatory
04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to consult the forum before I resort to any drastic measures, since I've never run into anything like this before.

I'm trying to get the fan off my SR20DET so I can change the belts. There's 4 nuts holding the fan coupling to the pulley. First one came off just as you'd expect. The remaining 3 simply don't come off. I can loosen/tighten them eternally and there is some resistance but they are not moving up/down the thread of the bolt. The bolt is not spinning with the nut or anything, yet the nuts are still not moving. What the hell is going on? Anybody familiar with this and wanna give me a clue? I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that I've just never run into before...

Thanks in advance.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Sounds like they are stripped. Can you see any damage?

krustindumm
04-17-2006, 11:28 PM
stripped studs, cut 'em off.

Irukandji
04-17-2006, 11:32 PM
PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench

Let it sit, go at it again but with a bigger lever arm.

wangan_cruiser
04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
get a vise grip or a plier and twist it outward...i just had the same problem but not in the same location...i had a stripped studs on my wheels

VitaminT
04-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Yeah I have run across a few cases where the water pump nuts wouldn't come off due to stripped studs. Sometimes if they are loose you can put a screw driver behind the nut and put outward pressure on it and they will catch a thread and come off. If not, cut them off and get new studs.

downshift_sideways
04-18-2006, 12:56 AM
get a vise grip or a plier and twist it outward...i just had the same problem but not in the same location...i had a stripped studs on my wheels

that why we pulled over that day b4 the mountain run?