PDA

View Full Version : Infinity 4x6 front speaker install on s13

youngmanvr4
04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
This thread is a easy how to install new speakers...more less Infinity 6412cfp's, But could help for anyother speaker install.

I had ordered some 6.5 conversion plates for the front but they didn't get here in time before I flew out of Tx to pick up my car in Cali (flew donw to tx for work and now back in Cali for 2 days then leaving for Tx again...this time with my car ;)). It's about 1,800 miles from Modesto, Cali to Houston, Tx. A Premere head unit and stock speaker just dont mix...I found that out on the 1,700 mile drive from Kansas to Cali when I drove the car out. So before I made this trip I knew I had to replace the speaker. But like I said, I had 6.5 conversion plates ordered but they didn't make it in time. I would have made my own but I didn't thing I'd have the time nor all the tools to do it right here. So here is what I'm did/going to do. I meant to Best Buy and looked at speaker. They had 3 different 4x6's. A $50 Pioneer 2 way, a $88 3 way Pioneer and what I got $99 Infinity 2 way. I really like them becuase they split the tweeter and the woofer, giving you alot more bass then a "all in one" system can give.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OV0s6Da6YDx/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&I=1086412CFP&search=infinity+speakers

I only got the pair for the front becuase I knew really want the 6.5 in the front. So when I get back the Tx I'll move these to the back and get the 6.5's for the front. But even with only the fronts in it sounds 100% times better than stock. I'm now able to turn up the bass and hear it!

Door panel removel
1. Open the door and at the front you should see a black thing, pop it open and take the screw out.
2. If you have manual windows pull on the lever a little and get a flat screw driver or what ever works best for you and you should see a gold ring looking thing. It can be tricky but using the tool of choose take the ring/clip off. Then you got that off just pull the lever off. Power windows I'm not sure about since I dont have them, I'm sure its easier.
3. Next is the door handle/pocket thing (what you use to close the door from inside). Look down into it and you should see a little black plate you can remove. Get yout flat head and take it off. Then take the screw off under it. Then get your flat head again and take that hole thing out. You wont break it so just keep on it til you get it out.
4.This is the one I couldn'y figure out at first. Door lock and latch lever. Take your flat head and priy it from the back, then I dont know any other way to expain it other than "roll" it out. I doubt your break that too.
5. The fun part. At the bottom of the door panel there should be a hole that you can put your hand up into. Just pull hard on that and work the panel off. Again you will not break anything so pull hard.
(6). On the passenger side only. There is a handle bar. At the top there is a screw, remove it than twist the bar back and lift it up. *Note* do this before you try to remove the door panel.

Now remove the speaker. If you need a walk through on that than you are most likely still try to get the door panel off.

By-passing factory amp
If the grill on the door panel says "Active" then you have a amp behind the speaker that you'll want to remove. Mine didn't have then but its easy to do. First take the speaker trim off. Mounted to that from behind should be the amp. Take the screws off the back to get to the wires in the back. Unplug the connector, then remove the speaker from the speaker tirm/mount. You can trash everything but the mount. On the harness you should see 5 wires. You'll need to of them. Should you'll use should be:

Drivers side
Green w/ white +
Green w/ yellow -

And passenger side
Brown +
Brown w/ white -

Simply cut those wires, strip them, then put them to the + and - on the back of your speakers. Easily done, thats all you have to do to by-pass the factory amp. This will now enable you to use the power off your HD to power the speakers. My HD is a 4x50 watt. That means 4 speakers/channels at 50watts each. Before the factory limit the wattage to a wimpy 5 watts. Thats why you remove them.

Special fitment for 6412cfp's
Now for the special part. This is for the Infinity 6412 cfp's. If your planning on just dropping them in...its going to take just alittle more than that. Nothing you cant handle. You'll need to go to a hardware store and pick up some #10 5/8 or 3/4 long screws. You'll need 8 of them. Reason for this is the plate on the speakers is 1/2 thick and the screws you that were for the factory speaker are 1/2 also. So the screw isn't long enough. Then you need to do a little trimming on the mounting plate (white one on the car...not the one on your new speakers). On the drivers side there is a 1/2 inch where where the speaker plate hits the mounting plate making so it wont go flush. What you need to do is align everything up and find that spot then take out your handy Dremel drill with a 3/8 inch sander on it and trim it down til the speaker fits. I would do this before you connect the wires to the speaker. Thats all you have to do. If you dont have a Dermel drill and get one, if you dont have the money then find your own way ;)

Now just finish installing the speakers and from there on out everything goes together just like you took it off. This is all easier than it looks of sound. This is a long write up becuase I wanted to really explain everything and all the details to help you understand everthing. Sorry I dont have pic. I'll take some before I put the 6.5's on. I hope this helps someone out there, Nate

druthafoo
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Good post. I think I'm going to do a massive car audio faqs and how to's this summer for 240's.

youngmanvr4
04-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Thats cool. If you want to use this as a link or use some of this thread for that you can.

defiantmofo
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
if you have active speakers up front, are the rears still powered by the same amps? Different amps? Any amps at all?

druthafoo
04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
different amps I think, as far as I know, my damn car didn't come with those, lol

youngmanvr4
04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
For the two rears there is one amp to power both speakers. From what I understand its under one of the two amps. Not sure which one.

druthafoo
04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
^oh yea I remember now, theres two for the fronts and one for the rear

g6civcx
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the post. Everything should be plug-and-play if you order from Crutchfield.

youngmanvr4
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Your welcome sir.

Also, I might add the connector on the back of the factory speaker is not the same as the Infinity ones.

g6civcx
10-11-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm bumping this post to remind myself to post pictures later on this weekend. I ordered the 6.5" adapter plates from Ebay and they fit perfectly.

I was able to install 6.5" Sony Xplode in place of the stock 4x6. I also tried the Pioneer 4x6 but they sounded like crap and didn't fit right.

Please don't neg rep me for bumping an old thread :)