PDA

View Full Version : smell gasoline inside my car...

AllenRPS13
04-12-2006, 02:21 AM
recently i always smell gasoline during I am driving my car... does anyone know what's wrong with my car?

!Zar!
04-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Check all of your fuel lines. Chances are high you have a crack in one.

Either from the rear lines out of your fuel pump, or the lines right by your fuel filter.

Slippin'eight-nine
04-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Also check your fuel injector seals,o-rings and the actual injector body. I had the same problem and I used to be high as a kite by the time I got to work...replaced the seals and it was all-g..although the #3 injector itself was still a little moist.

sncs14
04-12-2006, 07:07 AM
no matter where it is coming from it's important to find the root of the smell. i had a friend that was smelling gas while he was driving his car around. he kept dismissing it as nothing, then one day that bitch burned to the ground. take that shit seriously and find where the smell is coming from.

aznpoopy
04-12-2006, 07:41 AM
+1 for injector seals.

if you smell gas but your car isn't stuttering or bogging, its probably leaking around the injector.

slider2828
04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Not necessarily. If you smell gas more after you have filled up rather than when you are close to empty, then it is your gas tank o-ring. The o-ring is located in the rear of the trunk right under your fuel pump. You can RTV it with permatex black RTV. Best thing to use.... Never smelt gas again

SiI40sx
04-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Not necessarily. If you smell gas more after you have filled up rather than when you are close to empty, then it is your gas tank o-ring. The o-ring is located in the rear of the trunk right under your fuel pump. You can RTV it with permatex black RTV. Best thing to use.... Never smelt gas again

+1 on the O-Ring, if that shit is off place then the smell of gas will leak through your gas tank (where the fuel pump is located) The O-Ring usually gets out of place when people replace their fuel pumps (ahem ahem.... like me) since the O-Ring is a little larger than the actual O-Opening, I just cut off a piece of the ring and taped it up, after that no gas smell

slow_sr20
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
check fuel lines and fuel sender seal-had leaking lines on my s13.....also when i installed my walbro the seal for the sender had swelled noticeably. check the dealer for that though-the sender seal was the only thing i had bought from them that was in stock (it only costs a couple bucks) the guy at the parts counter said they use the same sender seal for alot of their cars......

mjjstang
04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
in my mustang I found that the gas tank was leaking, and what happened is most of the gas just got trapped between the tank and the plastic cover on the tank, wehre it would smell bad but evaporate before it actually leaked, then i got a bigger hole and it started leaking, thats how i found it, but that is on the mustang, i dont know if 240s have that plastic cover under the tank, just a thought though.

smithers584
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
check the line the goes out of the fuel rail towards the aft of the motor, i have a problem with the stock clamp sealing around there and i usually get a little leak. just drive it until it smells and get out pop the hood and start wiping your finger around every hose and fuel fitting (you might want to put out your cigarette first!)haha j/k. i just recently watched my buddy crawl under his explorer to change his fuel filter with a lit cig. haha too many fumes.

SochBAT
04-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Also check your charcoal canister, and make sure its plumbed.

drift freaq
04-13-2006, 12:28 AM
common problem on S13's is the fuel return line on your sending unit at your Gas tank literally turns into a swelled gooey mess. I had it happen to me on my beater daily. Had to change it out in the parking lot of a pep boys in West Los Angeles because it was pissing gas all over the place. Another place it happened on another s13 I had was just below the fuel filter in the engine compartment again it was pissing gas when I caught it. Basically if your smelling gas then its pissing it somewhere. Stop and track it down immediatly. These are the kind of things that have caused fires in our cars, mostly the engine compartment leaks.
None the less fix it and fix it now.

Frenzy13
04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Something that happened on mine was the egr line that plugged into the exhaust mani had come loose was leaking exhaust out before the cat. Just got under there and tightened down and the problem was solved. No more gas smell

DRIFTER-M
04-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Probably the o-rings. Usually they get messed up in older engines. The gas smell will happen if they have an imperfection. Check for white smoke and a strong gas smell out of of your exhaust(you already have 1 of those 2). Those are just some signs, other stuff may tell you too.
Honestly, you will need to find the source to find out though, all of the responses people have said could be the problem. Later.

DRIFTER-M
04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
:eek3: sorry, accidentally double posted, mods please delete this...

i8yourfwd
04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
common problem on S13's is the fuel return line on your sending unit at your Gas tank literally turns into a swelled gooey mess. I had it happen to me on my beater daily. Had to change it out in the parking lot of a pep boys in West Los Angeles because it was pissing gas all over the place. Another place it happened on another s13 I had was just below the fuel filter in the engine compartment again it was pissing gas when I caught it. Basically if your smelling gas then its pissing it somewhere. Stop and track it down immediatly. These are the kind of things that have caused fires in our cars, mostly the engine compartment leaks.
None the less fix it and fix it now.
I'd check those spots reccomended...

I've had 2 fuel leaks, both were the mentioned spots.