PDA

View Full Version : Strange timing pull? SR...

Gavster
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey guys...im hoping maybe you all can help me troubleshoot a little problem on my car. I have an s13 sr blacktop swapped into my s14. It has the usual bolt ons and a gt28r, etc etc. Anyways....while im at WOT, say starting from 2k rpm, everything goes fine and then when i reach 5k rpm, it feels as though it starts hesitating a bit...likt e a slight timing pull. While this is happening, the water temp guage dives down to nearly zero...WTF? This last to 6-6.5k or so...between shifts or if you let off, the water temp gauge recovers...any ideas on what the hesitation is and why the water temp gauge does this? Thanks guys...you rawk! heres a pic for views :)
http://speedlabperformance.com/gramlights/IMG_1466.jpg

slider2828
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Did you change your water pump before? Any problems with your cooling system? Get a leak down test to make sure everything is ok, then check your timing. The way your guessing isn't going to help, because its very weird what you are discribing.

Gavster
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
It definately is a weird problem...My cooling system runs just fine...the water pump is def. new (i didnt replace it, prev. owner). My base timing seems fine, but ill check it again. Maybe im having some sort of electrical issue? Any more ideas?

slider2828
04-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I doubt that it would happen only at 6k rpm though you know what I mean? That is just weird... but I would make sure it ain't mechanical, cause those things can be costly if left alone. Just do a leak down test, it will tell you a LOT. Good Luck

Tex Willer
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Maybe you have a problem with your alternator...Check the current at higher rev`s.
Also check the the ground connection to your engine/battery.

Gavster
04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
I also was thinking maybe its the alternator...I might see if a buddy will let me try his alternator out just for shits n grins....keep the ideas coming...i really appreciate the help!

VitaminT
04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
check your battery terminals for corrosion. Use a volt meter to check the battery without the car running for 12+ volts and with the car running for like 14v. It definately sounds like a electrical issue to me. I had a strange issue with one of my ignition wires under the dash and the car would "break up" when under load about the rpms you are talking about but would be fine otherwise. Something is up with your electrical system and pulling voltage to at least your temp gauge and probably everything else too. I wish I knew what exactly to tell you to look for but these are usually unique issues.