PDA

View Full Version : So like... I have a cross-threaded spark plug

EchoOfSilence
04-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Fucking great.

i take out my #2 to check it, looks fine, i put her back in. I then realize that the plug's at an angle and I've already tightened it. I just stare at it, hoping that just wishing it away will correct my mistake.

I'm not sure if it's always been like that, or if I had just done it now, or whatever. It doesn't matter.

Basically I can either get a new head, helicoil 'save a thread' (for spark plugs), or fuck it and get a dohc (this is on a sohc).

suggestions?

S14DB
04-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Helicoil or DOHC depending how much money you got to blow.

2tone240
04-04-2006, 04:52 AM
check if you can torque it to correct specs. if it can be torqued down, it should hold up just fine. if you can't torque it to spec try the helicoil.

EchoOfSilence
04-04-2006, 11:09 AM
yeah...
i can't torque it all the way, as the plug may break. since it's at an angle, the whole plug doesn't go all the way in; there's still some thread to go.

however, the engine still fires up and if i disconnect the plug wire it'll bog, which means it's still functioning. AND I just put 340 miles on her yesterday (Spring Break was over so i went to school)

Anyway, I have enough for a dohc, but we'll see what happens. I have to pay for books first and shit like that.

Irukandji
04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I know this is a common mistake on the SVT Lightnings since the plugs are so hard to reach, so they make kits where you bore out the sparkplug threads to a bigger size, and put a little "sleeve" over the sparkplug itself and screw everything in. I don't know if they have these "kits" for a lot of cars, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure out with parts from the hardware store.

EchoOfSilence
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
that's sorta like helicoil, it's just that the one they make specifically for spark plugs doesn't require drilling.

slider2828
04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Go to kragen or napa and then have spark plug rethreader kits made for these reasons. Cause people do it all the time. If it is at an angle, don't torque it any more. Consult the napa peoples, they have a little more knowledge about this stuff.....