PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coating turbo manifold.. Inside and outside?

MELLO*SOS
04-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I want to have my HKS cast bottom-mount manifold for my RB ceramic coated. What are your opinions on having both the inside and outside coated vs just doing the outside?

Some people have said that doing the inside isn't suggested or common because the ceramic could "flake" or otherwise come off and go into the turbine. I've never heard of this, but a few different people have mentioned it.

Others I speak with say that it's common to do both the inside and the outside. I think this would offer twice the thermal barrier as just doing the outside. This would result in the exhaust gas retaining more energy and the engine bay being cooler. I also plan on having the turbine housing coated, but again I'm unsure if I should just have the outside done or inside + outside.

Please share your thoughts, opinions and experiences with ceramic coating (cast) turbo manifolds and/or turbine housings.

nismojason
04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
can't help but would also like to hear what people have to say about this.

Jason

mjjstang
04-03-2006, 06:25 PM
damint i cant believe i dont remember what i did, i think that i only had the outside done but maybe i did get the inside coated as well, at any rate there was a discussion about the physics of having the inside coated, where it will allow the hotter gasses to pass through the exhaust which means quicker turbo spool or something. Im sure someone has more info on this.

originalsin
04-03-2006, 06:32 PM
id say do inside and out, i mean say the stuff does flake off, i rly dont see it hurting the turbo, its not like its metal, its going to be chips like paint coming off, which will prolly get busted apart by the turbine and blown out the exhuast...

g6civcx
04-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Give http://www.swaintech.com/ a shot.

PoorMans180SX
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
swaintech is sweet. As long as you have a reputable company coating your manifold, it shouldn't flake off. Inside and out for sure, hotter exhaust=faster turbo spool. I plan on having my exhaust ports ceramic coated as well. When I get the money that is :(....

koukidough
04-04-2006, 03:33 AM
i wouldnt do it, just the outer part is fine.

S14DB
04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Urban legend. People think of the old painted headers that flake off. Ceramic coating is like Powder Coating. It does not flake off.

The inside should be coated to keep heat from transferring into the metal and slowing the exhaust charge. The outer coating is for appearance, environmental protection and further heat protection.

sxse240
04-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Some of the coating shops won't give you an option and will only coat both surfaces.

MELLO*SOS
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Thank you guys for the response! Looks like I'll be doing both inside and out of the exh manifold and the turbine housing.

Somehow Swain Tech slipped past me before, thanks for the link. Here's one in return: www.performancecoatings.com - suggested to me by the (N/A baja truck) race team across the street here.

S14DB
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
If it is used. Make sure to hot tank it before coating.