PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Screws..

ENTHUSIAST
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Anyone know of a way to unscrew or remove some allen wrench type screws? The screws that attach my steering wheel to the hub have been stripped by the previous owner. So now I cant switch out the steering wheel.. Anyone got any ideas?

gotta240
03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
damn... thats tuff.

maybe lube the hell outa them... then take the next size up wrench, and pound it in the screw with a hammer? I dont know..thats tuff.

Or, drill them out, then buy a new hub?

PF_Doom
03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Cut a slit in the screw and stick a flathead screwdriver in there to twist it out. Lemme get back to you on what I used to cut the screw.. "digs through tool box"

NIK90s13
03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
A hand drill with a small cutting bald( circular) will cut the slots for the screw driver idea. If that does'nt work you can drill a small hole and use''easyouts'' the take hold of the hole and reverse out the screw, or drill off the screw head, and when you get the wheel off, hope you have enough left to get a small pair of vice grips on to get the studs out. Good luck

Irukandji
03-30-2006, 06:27 PM
JB weld a nail to the screws and turn it until it comes out.

TheWolf
03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
before I'd break out easy outs... and then break their hard carbon ass off in your steering wheel. I'd just take a left handed drill bit to it... slow speed moderate pressure. Should work fine.

vinhnumber
04-16-2006, 12:21 PM
drill the screw with a power drill and make the screw obliterate! :rawk:

s14slide
04-16-2006, 12:57 PM
if you don't care about the steering wheel, use a phillips head screwdriver and pound it into the screw to to make it turn. Don't take it out and grab the screwdriver with a vice grip, apply plenty of pressure and turn. If that keeps on stripping it some more, use an old screwdriver and grind down the tip along the flat edge to make an angle. Knock it around the edge of the screw, and kinda chisle the screw around to unwind it. The are proven techniques I use on aircraft floor panel, that have much more thread engagement and see more shear stress than any steering wheel. This is all if you don't care about the wheel though, because these techniques (especially the latter) will break metal. Lastly, if you can't get these to work, do as said earlier and drill out the head of the screw. Drill bit same size as the shaft of the screw and drill straight down the head. Then you can turn them out with a vise grip. Hope this helps.

Nizzan4u2nv
04-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with the drilling method. As long as you have a good drill and sharp bits, youre good to go.