PDA

View Full Version : uh oh...

frosti108
03-29-2006, 02:41 AM
me and my friend just finished up his car. we put the whole rear differential and axles from a 93 infiniti j30 into his 1990 240. but we ran into a problem. after swapping the old 240 pumpkin cover onto the j30 one and putting it in the car, we started torqueing down all the bolts according to a guide on 240sx.org

well for the bolts holding the differential cover to the crossmember, it said 70-80 ft lbs. but on the guide, they had 2 big bolts holding on the pumpkin and we have 4 small ones. so not thinking, we started torqing those 4 to 75. and what do you know, it starts to feel like its not getting tight anymore, but looser. we stripped one of the goddamn bolts

so anyway we said fuck it and cleaned up and went out to test her out... and damn its nice. with a fresh batch of royal purple in an lsd from an automatic old lady car, that shit is SMOOVE! plus now his car does donuts

but what i really want to know is what are the torque specs for those 4 bolts holding the differential to the crossmember. theyre obviously different from the 240's with only 2 bolts...

itll hold for a while but basically he'll has to get a new diff cover sooner or later

NIK90s13
03-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Well you got 17 people look at your thread, and no response, so I'm throwing this in, try to find a F.S.M. on line to get the specs, look for the infinity FSM. Good luck. I'm at work, so I really do'nt have time to look

ryangreg
03-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Tourqe specs for something like that man? Dont even worry about it, your not dealing with cams, or a lower end or anything like that so just snug it up and forget about it.

gotta240
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
actually you should make it more than "snug"... Im actually surprised 70lbs stripped it..

HootAuto
03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I just hope you know you will have to tap that hole out now....no offense but you have 1 post, not sure how much you know....either way, what gotta240 said, just tighten it down and forget it, torque specs on a cover?? Dealerships don't torque that kind of stuff to specs, so I wouldn't worry about it....

Good luck!

frosti108
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
i know you wouldnt think to use a torque wrench for something like that, but when i saw the torque specs on the guide i was reading, i figured it cant hurt. so anyways yea were still not totally sure if its stripped or if its just being totally wacky... but really, i dont know anybody that really wants to buy an 80 diff cover because they were careless....

and yea this is my 1st post here. but i dont think swapping a whole rear end is something a noob would do....

anyway last night i searched around for a bunch of 240 forums so that if i ever need anything ill always have a few choices...
this one seems like a real nice one.

frosti108
03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
I just hope you know you will have to tap that hole out now....no offense but you have 1 post, not sure how much you know....either way, what gotta240 said, just tighten it down and forget it, torque specs on a cover?? Dealerships don't torque that kind of stuff to specs, so I wouldn't worry about it....

Good luck!

wait WHAT? there is no hole to be stripped... if you knew what i was talking about you would know that the differential cover has threaded lugs on it to stick through the crossmember. then you put nuts on the lugs and tighten them. we think we stripped one of the lugs. wtf are you talking about lol

HootAuto
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
My bad, thought you were talking about the bolt actually holding the cover to the diff.....it's 2:30 am eastern time, can't say I'm at 100% capacity right now

frosti108
03-30-2006, 01:38 AM
haha no sweat... id just appreciate if someone could point me to where i can get the torque specs for those nuts...

frosti108
03-30-2006, 01:48 AM
nevermind. this just in from another 240 forum...

the top 2 are supposed to be torqued to 32-41 ft lbs, and the bottom 2 only to 29-36 ft lbs :smash:

so for those who would have just tightened them hard as shit, let this be a lesson before you go stripping shit like i just did... :werd:

Andrew Bohan
03-30-2006, 02:02 AM
good job. you should be able to get the stud out with a stud remover. under $25 from sears.

infinitexsound
03-30-2006, 02:38 AM
yeah drill thru the bolt then reverse extract........ then if u can find a big enough helicoil drill and tap.... done deal...