PDA

View Full Version : maxima brake conversion

kumanchu
05-27-2002, 12:53 PM
i heard from somewhere (do'nt remember) that jdm 200sx's/silvias used the rotors/calipers from the maxima. they aren't as big as the z32's but they are bigger than the stock 240 ones. from what i recall they don't cause the "mushy" pedal feeling that the z32's cause unless you replace the master cylinder with a z32 one.

i think i heard this from someone who was selling jdm calipers/rotors.

camppain
05-27-2002, 01:19 PM
ive never heard it for silvia/200sx's

but its done for se-r's sentra's and se-r 200sx's

tnord
05-27-2002, 11:51 PM
is it the same bolt pattern? if so, the only thing you would have to worry about would be caliper clearance right?

Jeff240sx
05-28-2002, 12:03 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kumanchu @ May 27 2002,3:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">from what i recall they don't cause the "mushy" pedal feeling that the z32's cause unless you replace the master cylinder with a z32 one.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Wow. &nbsp;Watch out for the person who told you this, cuz they might blow. &nbsp;That person was full of shit.
1) Just me, but I have not heard that, nor seen it done. &nbsp;And PDM, who I think was the first people and AFAIK, the only people with a z32 brake swap kit, DO NOT include a master cylinder in the kit.
2) How the hell would that work, as all z32 cars have ABS. &nbsp;I'm not a brake guy, so I'm just asking... how?
Finally....
3) I have z32 brakes. &nbsp;They feel like they stop a truck. &nbsp;The pedal is not mushy at all. &nbsp;It is really tight. &nbsp;Ask rampid360, he's driven my car. &nbsp;People pick their teeth out of my steering wheel all the time because they "tap" the pedal.
So... I am just argueing that. &nbsp;
Also, it was only $100 more to switch from 240sx stuff to z32 stuff. &nbsp;And that was the price of steel braided lines from PDM. &nbsp;How much more are the maxima brakes, for the rotors, lines, and calipers?
-Jeff

adey
05-28-2002, 05:31 AM
I actually think it's good to have some brake pedal play, or an amount of "mushiness" if you may... I can't imagine not being able to modulate the brakes smoothly and without having the car jerk when I eventually swap over to Z32 brakes...

sorry I realize I didn't add much to the original topic, I'm just wodering if everyone w/ the Z32 brake swap has bite marks in their steering wheels. i.e. do all of you Z32 brake swappers have a very unforgiving brake pedal?

rampid360
05-28-2002, 08:57 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jeff240sx @ May 28 2002,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3) I have z32 brakes. They feel like they stop a truck. The pedal is not mushy at all. It is really tight. Ask rampid360, he's driven my car. People pick their teeth out of my steering wheel all the time because they "tap" the pedal.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
What else is there to say? No mushy feeling there...only need to push the peddle like 1/2 inch to stop. &nbsp;It persuaded me to make this a near future mod. &nbsp; Its like smashing into a brick wall when you tap the brakes, plus he's got brakes all day long...never seen them fade in the least.