PDA

View Full Version : new intake setup

Lost_DriFter
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
so ive been doin some thinkin and thought if i relocate my battery to the trunk and setup a coldair intake where the batter was....does anyone have this setup? if so do u have pictures? how much of an imporvement do you think this would be?

Dopefish
03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
so ive been doin some thinkin and thought if i relocate my battery to the trunk and setup a coldair intake where the batter was....does anyone have this setup? if so do u have pictures? how much of an imporvement do you think this would be?

It's been done, by S12, S13 and S14 owners... I thought of doing it but I dont want to deal with the battery relocation. :/ It makes sense and honestly dont know why Nissan didnt do it in the first place but I dont think the gains will be significantly more than a regular CAI.

I dont have any images readily available but s12-club.org has some in their forum and I know I've seen a few here before. If I get a chance and run across them I'll post them up.

~Kris

breakindrifts
03-10-2006, 11:24 AM
It's been done a million times. Instead of dealing with the bullshit of trunk relocation you can just move the battery to the driver side where the stock airbox is.

Neejay
03-10-2006, 11:27 AM
It's been done a million times. Instead of dealing with the bullshit of trunk relocation you can just move the battery to the driver side where the stock airbox is.
You'd have to have a small battery, because mine sure as hell wouldn't fit over there. Then buying a smaller battery would be spending MORE money than needed.

Also wouldn't this add significan weight on the driver's side too?

Lost_DriFter
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
You'd have to have a small battery, because mine sure as hell wouldn't fit over there. Then buying a smaller battery would be spending MORE money than needed.

Also wouldn't this add significan weight on the driver's side too?

not so much for me due to the fact i dont have an a/c unit

breakindrifts : my original plan was to relocate the battery anyways...ive been planning on that when i got the car.... but the driver side will be very empty if i do it haha...

dopefish : thnx pics would be appricitated alot

breakindrifts
03-10-2006, 12:04 PM
I dont think it would add significant weight. Sure it might not be as effiecient as relocating to the trunk, but if you track your car a lot of times tech people want an external battery kill switch, and they want a proper box to make sure its really secure. You will end up spending around the same money buying a box and everything, unless you fab something up for cheap.

BlackS14
03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Here's a pic of mine.....you can get an idea of what it looks like. Not the best angle, but it's an Injen intake cut at a certain point and then simply flipped around.

http://www.brevardmotorsports.org/gallery/albums/userpics/cfc05/cfc2005-0004.jpg

-Bill

orion::S14
03-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Here's a pic of my old setup:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/new_intake.jpg

Custom made from 3" mandrel.

Noticed an improvement over my Injen setup...and my battery was already in the trunk, so room was ample.

- Brian

mjjstang
03-11-2006, 09:54 AM
seems like a lotta work for an extra 2 hp

infinitexsound
03-11-2006, 11:42 AM
or even modifying and worries of corner balancing..... why don t u guys just put the battery in the back of the right rear seat...:eek2:

03-11-2006, 06:35 PM

3-4rwhp.

And if the battery was already relocated for weight distribution...

...and the Injen I had on the car was sold for $100...

..and the new one cost me $20 worth of pipe and an hour of cutting/welding/painting...

...than it's well worth it. Pocket $80 and make ~4 more rwhp.

I can't complain.

:coold: - Brian

Cashizslick
03-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I dont think it would add significant weight. Sure it might not be as effiecient as relocating to the trunk, but if you track your car a lot of times tech people want an external battery kill switch, and they want a proper box to make sure its really secure. You will end up spending around the same money buying a box and everything, unless you fab something up for cheap.

Yeah thats why i never bothered with the trunk relocation. Even drag strips around here want the trunk switch - no way im putting a trunk switch on my daily driver.

One thing to mention - a shotty job at a trunk relocation can cost you your car . . . . .

slideways2004
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah thats why i never bothered with the trunk relocation. Even drag strips around here want the trunk switch - no way im putting a trunk switch on my daily driver.

One thing to mention - a shotty job at a trunk relocation can cost you your car . . . . .

how so? electrical fire?

Lost_DriFter
03-12-2006, 09:26 AM
theres really nothin in the trunck that the battery would n blow up or anything especially the fact that its goin to be enclosed in a box so that battery aint goin anywhere sa for wiring im good with hiding them n **** i did a relocation on my bois mustang had no problems so i know what im doin

BigVinnie
03-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Here's a pic of my old setup:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/new_intake.jpg

Custom made from 3" mandrel.

Noticed an improvement over my Injen setup...and my battery was already in the trunk, so room was ample.

- Brian

Brian,
Since the overall length of the intake was decreased, did throttle responce and high end power increase as well? Also assuming that the intake charge stays colder also, since it isn't on top of the radiator..

03-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Throttle response...hard to say. It was pretty crisp before.

And the power was all +4000rpm. Looked the same as the Injen dyno chart on my website...only 3-4 more HP more.

- Brian

jmauld
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
or even modifying and worries of corner balancing..... why don t u guys just put the battery in the back of the right rear seat...:eek2:

Safety regulations. Which are based off of two very good reasons. If the battery is in the compartment with you, and it comes loose during an impact, there is a significant chance of injury. Batteries vent gas, and it's not uncommon for one to explode. My wife has had it happen in her Sentra. It's not a pretty site when they do that.

BlackS14
03-13-2006, 10:08 AM

I'm with Brian.....my battery was already relocated and how is simply cutting an existing intake, flipping it around and doing a smidge of re-wiring "a lotta work"? Specially when I spent NO extra cash and prolly got the same gains Brian did on his set-up. Seems pretty worth it to me.

And hell....I did the shorter intake mod for the most part in looking to clean the engine bay up a bit.....so any extra hp gains (if any), were simply a bonus in my instance:)

-Bill

projectRDM
03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Brain and Bill both copied me, so they suck and I hate them.

But seriously, I did it for the same reasons, battery was already gone and I wanted a cleaner setup, plus colder air that was not coming from the exhaust side of the car. Any OE type setup will feel warm to the touch after a short drive because it's drawing heated air in right off the exhaust manifold.

03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Russ is right...I can't claim to be the first, I copied his setup...

Here's a pic from WAY back in the day (NOPI 2001, maybe???):

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/temp/russ_intake.jpg

- Brian

projectRDM
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's old. Ya, 2001, I got it finished the day before the 2001 National Convention.

s14xman
03-14-2006, 02:59 AM
just wondering how you guys got the MAF wiring out of the thing that runs over the front of the valve cover. I attempted it once but it looks like it may be sealed up along with the other wiring? Any pics of the wiring or any other wiring info would be great. thanx

Lost_DriFter
03-14-2006, 07:55 AM
thanx everyone for ur help (those of u that did help) ad thnx for the pix they helped alot though i have a sohc haha... imm gunna try and get started on this

orion::s14 - did u cut that open or was it already like that, also if u cut it how did u go about doing it cause i was thinkin of running a tube down and cut a whole in my bumper that the tube will go into