PDA

View Full Version : SR wont start, really need help!!!!!!!!

AntiVtec
03-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I got everything hooked up finally, went to start the car and it cranks but it dosnt even atempt to start. I checked spark, timing and fuel and everything is fine. Im completely lost right now and i have no idea where to start checking for problems! Any help or tips to help me out will be appreciated. Thanks

NIK90s13
03-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Is it a new motor? Has it been rebuilt? Does it have compression?
You sure it is getting fule?Just guessing. Start with simplest and easy. MAF, TPS hooked up? If it's been rebuild are you sure the timing chain (cams)on right?

AntiVtec
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Its a redtop SR with 38,000 miles on it. According to the importer it came out of a running vehicle. The compression ill check tomorrow but when i manually turned the crank it felt pretty good. The tps, maf are hooked up, and the fuel is ok. So now its a guessing game! But thanks for trying to help i really appreciate it.

AntiVtec
03-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Compression is 150-160 across the board. I poured fuel into each cylinder and it fired right up then shut down when the fuel ran out. I dont know where to look next? If i dont start it today im screwed for the next two weeks! Thanks again

bardabe
03-05-2006, 09:10 AM
then there you go. if you poured fuel and it started and then shut off when it was out. maby u have your fuel lines hooked up backwatds.

-Juanton

Nizzan4u2nv
03-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Yea, its easy to have the fuel lines hooked up backwards on an sr. Do you hear your fuel pump priming?

AntiVtec
03-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Got it running!:naughtyd: It turns out the FPR was bad, it was clogged with something or the diaphragm was stuck. Took one off another SR and it fired right up. The only problem now is it idles at about 1700rpm and wont go down even after its up to temp. Im thinking vaccum leak or the idle control is sticking? Any ideas? Thanks for your help guys its nice to know theres still good people on some forums.:bowdown:

NIK90s13
03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Glad to hear it's running!!!! Check to see if the throtel cable is to tight first, Check for vacume leaks. Keep us posted.

AntiVtec
03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks, the throttle cable is fine, as soon as i have some free time ill check for vaccum leaks. Man it felt good to get that thing running, makes it all worth the while!

bardabe
03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I bet it makes it worth while. ha ha glad to hear it you got it running. right now it seems that .my MAF is bad so mine wo't start. or if it start it starts up then Dies back down he he I need a MAF

-Juanton

AntiVtec
03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I bet it makes it worth while. ha ha glad to hear it you got it running. right now it seems that .my MAF is bad so mine wo't start. or if it start it starts up then Dies back down he he I need a MAF

-Juanton
Thanks guys, I have a new problem though. When i start the car is idles at about 1500rpm like a cold motor is supposed to do. However when it warms up it rises to 1700rpm and stays there! When i rev it a bit it takes a few seconds too long to settle, staying at about 1900rpm, but finally goes back to 1700 and remains there again? Any ideas? i need the SR gurus to save the day!:bowrofl: Thanks again

Nizzan4u2nv
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
You already adjust the tps and idle?

AntiVtec
03-10-2006, 07:58 AM
I did play with the idle control scew, but the tps im not sure how to adjust? Any tips? Some one else told me the idle control valves might be stuck, do you think spraying some carb cleaner down the idle control hose will help unstick them? Thanks for your help

andrewmp6
03-10-2006, 08:02 PM
see its always somthing small and dumb that gets you