PDA

View Full Version : wiring: heads up display control unit?

tastyratz
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
ok so im looking at diagrams from the fsm talking about the heads up display control unit. Is that something built into the cluster or the projector? Im trying to figure out how to wire the hud to work with an analog projector. When im done I will post pictures and a walkthrough for the rest but I gotta get it working for now. Ive searched but theres very limited information on something like this

ledzeppelin240
03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Analog will not work with a digital signal from what I know. Could you explain more? THe HUD Control Unit is in the cluster.

tastyratz
03-03-2006, 12:05 PM
actually HUD and analog both feed off the VSS oscilations for determining display. Ive heard of people doing it before by splicing the harnesses together. It looks entirely possible from wiring diagrams too.

tastyratz
03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
is the hud control unit removable? Is there anyone out there who could use a multimeter between the 8 pin plug on the hud and the 12 pin plug for the control unit to determine continuity and figure out which pin corresponds where? Im checking the wiring diagrams and that is the only thing that seems incomplete in the fsm mainly. That and I'm trying to trace back the wires for the "illumination control circuit" as well (I wont know if thats relevant or not until I get the pinout)

projectRDM
03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Splice the harnesses together, stick the analog display unit behind the cluster, and mount the cluster.

SochBAT
03-03-2006, 07:27 PM
While reading thru, i got lost.

Are you actually talking about the Heads Up Display, ie, the projector that would normally rest in your dash, projecting your speed onto the car windshield, or are you talking about the actual digital cluster?

If you wanted to use the HUD and the analog cluster, you'd have some splice work ahead of you. And finding a FSM with HUD information seems like quite the challenge.

tastyratz
03-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Yea, I want to mate the projector that is on the dash that puts it on the windshield to my analog cluster. I definitely have some splice work, and my FSM actually has the hud information including pinout but thats only the plug that goes into the "control unit" I can take care of wiring up to that point but I wanna know which wire goes where for the smaller harness on the projector itself. That one to the control just has lines.... no color information, pin numbers, anything.

ledzeppelin240
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Ahhh...I was also lost then. Just break down everything into seperate circuits and it makes it easier. From what I was reading I thought you were doing something with an anolog HUD or something...

Mikey444
03-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok if i want the Whole Hud kit but my cluster is Analog. Can't i just wire the Hud system up without any complications?

VitaminT
03-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Ok maybe I can shed some light...probably not but I will try.

If you have the same fsm I have on page EL-42 you see the box labeled "Head-up display control unit". On the right of it you see a 12pin plug with numbers and out next to it are wire colors and such. Then on the other side of the label you see an 8 pin plug with no numbers or colors. The digital cluster harness that plugs up in the dash has 3 plugs on it just like the analog one but with the digital cluster harness 2 go to the main cluster and one goes to the back of the lcd part of the digi cluster (has a hump in the back of the cluster where is plugs). Next to this is where the actual hud projector plugs in. Also on that same diagram it has a box around both the Head-up display control unit and the head-up display on-off switch and that box is labeled Digital combination meter. So with all that said based on that fsm page it is safe to say that the head-up display control unit and on-off switch is all located in the digi lcd part of the cluster.

More to come, just don't want to loose my typing.

VitaminT
03-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Anyway I guess that was about all to say. Looks like you will have to have the digi combination meter that resides inside the digi cluster. All the rest should be pretty easy based on the colors/diagram for the 12 pin plug on the hud control unit located on EL-42. The entire digi cluster and hud projector completely run off of the two plugs your analog cluster harness is plugged into back up in the dash so you should be able to get all of your wires from there.

Items you will have to have:
analog cluster
analog cluster harness
digital combination meter
HUD projector
time and some wire

I can't imagine the project taking more than a few hours if you have everything. It looks like you only have to run 5 wires all of which are right at the back of your analog cluster. One thing to note is that on EL-43 it looks like it shows just the 5 wires you need for the HUD vs. the 11 you need for the HUD and LCD cluster read out.

Hope all this helps.

Oh also for those that just want the info looks like the wires are Green (power from left 2nd from bottom 10a fuse), Yellow/Green (pin 36 on DE ecu), Yellow Black (Vehicle speed sensor), Yellow Blue (Vehicle speed sensor).

VitaminT
03-25-2006, 01:23 AM
One last thing is keep in mind all this information is simply from the fsm and from a picture of a digital cluster I used to have. I am very confident that it will work but because I have never tried it I cannot guarantee it will. Thanks and have a good night.