PDA

View Full Version : Idling Problem

ZOOM_ZOOM240
03-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I am having a problem with my Idling. My car will run fine and when I start it up it idles perfect. The problem happens when I am driving and come to a stop, I will start idling below 300 rpm for about 5 seconds then it will jump back up to 700-800 rpm. Othertimes this happens the car will just die. This problem doesnt happen all the time though. Just this last weekend the car ran perfect with no problem but a couple days later this problem came back. What could cause the car to idle great sometimes then idle either really rough or die other times?

KA-Turbo?
03-02-2006, 08:30 AM
not sure but you might want to check your 02 sensor, and fuel sensor

aznpoopy
03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
iacv, idle air control valve

do a search for that, you'll find info on how to fix it.

ZOOM_ZOOM240
03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I was wondering on how would I go about getting to the IAC? I tried getting to it today but it is just too tight of a fit.

NemeGuero
03-03-2006, 01:16 AM
On the intake tube right in front of the throttle body, there is a big hose about the diameter of a nickel going underneath the top runners of the manifold... pull off the hose where it meets the metal tube(on the intake mani.)

Start the car, and spray a shit load of carb/intake cleaner in there.

Drink a beer and pat yourself on the back.

ZOOM_ZOOM240
03-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks, I tried that yesterday and the car still idles like shit when I stop. Could there be anything else that could be malfunctioning. It also seemed like this problem started right after I replaced the knock sensor.

I dont know I am at a loss.

sushimonster
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
i had the same problem with my KA before didnt get to fix the problem thou since i got a sr swap... mine happens when the weather is cold or when its raining... i dont thinks its the IACV since the car idles perfectly at park... i definitely think its a sensor

aznpoopy
03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
i had the same problem with my KA before didnt get to fix the problem thou since i got a sr swap... mine happens when the weather is cold or when its raining... i dont thinks its the IACV since the car idles perfectly at park... i definitely think its a sensor

that sounds more like a grounding problem to me.

Thanks, I tried that yesterday and the car still idles like shit when I stop. Could there be anything else that could be malfunctioning. It also seemed like this problem started right after I replaced the knock sensor.

sure you did it right? you want to have the car running, and then pull off the hose that he specified (the bigger one of the two, iirc) and then spray a full can into it. the car will most likely sputter or try to die as you do this, so it helps to have a buddy in the car keep the car alive with the throttle. otherwise you can do it with your hand on the throttle pulley thingy.

other possibilities... you forgot to plug something in after doing the knock sensor.

or maybe you have a vac leak. with another can of carb/intake cleaner, spray it around the entire intake tract, and around the manifold. if you have a leak, it should suck in the cleaner and make the engine sputter. pin point the leak this way and fix it.

NemeGuero
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
If none of that shit fixes it...

Check your ignition base timing, clean plugs, make sure injectors are "clicking".. and make sure your gaskets are healthy.