PDA

View Full Version : Need Help ASAP!! 1989 240sx Coupe

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
ok, I just bought my first Nissan and I got a 1989 240sx and dont really know much about it since I came from the Volkswagon community. Anyways I got the car and the guy told me it had a bad water pump and it needed replaced, so I had him take me to the local AutoZone to buy the part and we did with his friends discount. Well I got the part and very carefully drove the car to my buddies house not to far from the place I purchased the car... I got it to his house and we proceeded to swap the old water pump with the new one, well we got it all done and everything put back together and I left his house on my way home for the night. It was not leaking Anti-freeze anymore but about a mile from his house the gauge started to sky rocket so I pulled it over and sat for about 20 minutes until it was completely cold. Then I headed home and actually made it after stopping a couple more time and letting the motor cool down. As of right now I went and bought a new thermastat for the vehicle and am kind of in the middle of putting it back in, I work long hours almost every day so its hard to get the time to put it in, but I have Wednesday and Thursday off this week and have high hopes to get the thing in and running. I guess I should get to the point, is there anything im passing over when it comes to why the car would be over heating? Its not leaking anti-freeze at all. But when I would stop after putting the water pump on it would sound like a steady kind of pouring of liquid, I believe it was coming from the over flow container. Any ideas?

Thanks Drew

btw: it is the sohc engine not the dohc

EchoOfSilence
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
There's quite a few things that may be wrong.
1) could be the thermostat or lack thereof
2) could be a faulty/dying waterpump
3) could be the clutch fan (try turning it by hand. if it's siezed, it's bad)
4) could be the temp sensor
5) could actually be the temp guage itself. 240's have shitty 3-step temp sensors that love to fail.

Anyone got more to add?

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
so should I buy a aftermarket temp gauge, I mean it is over heating according to the gauge and just seeing the gauge do that scares the shit outta me lol... umm the clutch fan where exactly is that located?

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
ah also I forgot the Fuel gauge is also not working it is stuck at half full.... any thing I could do to get it working?

aznpoopy
02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
did you guys bleed the system after you installed the waterpump?

the clutch fan is that ginormous mechanical fan that spins in front of the motor. we call it a clutch fan because its mounted to a little clutch thingy that locks and unlocks based on how hot it gets. it never spins exactly at engine speed. if it does, we say it is 'seized' and it generally makes a ginormous whooshing noise whenever you are driving.

that would not cause overheating though. if anything, it should cause underheating.

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
no I didnt, umm how would I go about doing that? sorry for the lack of knowledge I am new to the Nissan world as of about 2 days ago... and 650 dollars ago! lol

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 09:50 PM
oh no it spins just fine, thank you for clearing up what you ment by clutch fan I believe it is ok... I actually almost was completely done putting the front of the motor back together after the thermostat install but lost two of the little nuts that hold the fan on, any idea on what size they are so that I can go and purchase some tommarow on my lunch break and hopefully get the car back together tommarow night so I can have all day wednesday to work on the body of the car and the interior, I bought all Polk MOMO series speakers for the car for all the spots that the car has and also bought 2 12's to put in the trunk along with a Kenwood flip out touch screen for the Head Unit, im a car audio installer btw!

breakindrifts
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Bet you just have air in the cooling system. There is a bleeder screw near the intake manifold. Should have a tag with some jap writing beside it, bleed the system throughly and it should solve your problem.

Bullmic221
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
ok and to bleed it I do exactly what? do I start the car or what? im not sure what I am supposed to do I know pull the thing out and then what?

finesses240
02-28-2006, 12:27 AM
yeah another 240 lovin' car audio installer.

infinitexsound
02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
easiet way.... is when the car is cold..... start it up, pop the cap off.... squeeze the bottom radiator hose... to work the bubbles out... then as the thermostat pops.... make sure u cleared the hose of air... and as the water start to boil over and become warm... dont wait for it to be super shot but as it rises, just put the cap back on...right... not crooked.. and wait for the fan to kick on... so u know everything is workin accordingly and watch the temp gauge...

Flybert
02-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Best way to bleed coolant is to jack the front end of the car up really high. Take off the radiator cap. Start the motor and fill up the radiator. I have a funnel that fits tightly against the whole on the inside and I fill the funnel up beyond overflowing so I can see any bubbles that come out. As the thermostat opens you'll get more flow and bubbles. Squeeze the radiator hoses to push air out of the system. After you get no more bubbles, put the cap back on and you are done. Works 100% of the time on KA and SR. No need to mess with that little bleeder screw.

aznpoopy
02-28-2006, 08:51 AM
am i the only one who thinks using the bleeder screw is better? :P

drift freaq
02-28-2006, 11:51 AM
am i the only one who thinks using the bleeder screw is better? :P
No , I would tend to agree with you on using the bleeder screw. Its there for a reason.

Bullmic221
02-28-2006, 07:37 PM
hmm thanks guys i will try that taking the cap off and trying to get all the air out of the system hopefully this works and im able to drive it!

RedtopTech
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
bleeder screws are located at the highest point of the coolant system because thats where the air gathers

Bullmic221
02-28-2006, 09:43 PM
so if i just open the bleeder screw and run the car until it warms up it should bleed all the air out?

infinitexsound
02-28-2006, 10:52 PM
u can do either or process.. i like mines and flyberts way just because u know everything is in workin order......