PDA

View Full Version : problem w/ silvia triple projector

91ka-t
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
im missing the three prong connectors for low beams. any suggestions for a solution

heres a pic of what im missing

http://www.tamparacing.com/photopost/data/500/missing_2.JPG

Shawn_of_the_Dead
02-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Are you sure that black/green plug doesn't go on there? That's how they are on mine.

91ka-t
02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
theres nothing to plug in to. its complete missing.

91ka-t
02-26-2006, 10:01 PM
u see where i circled the pic. those three prongs r not there.

Shawn_of_the_Dead
02-26-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=101180

there are pics of the back of mine on there.

I thought the pieces circled in orange would plug in there.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5504/missing25lb.jpg

It looks like the plug on the bottom light is completely missing, is that right? If so, I might have an additional headlight harness that would work.

91ka-t
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM
those arent my projectors it was a random pic to show whats missing, which is what the connector plugs into. basically the male end of the plug

g6civcx
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Okay, that's no problem. I'll tell you how to fix it.

Your stock headlight harness has 3 prongs: low beam (+), high beam (+), and ground. The Silvia harness is supposed to route the low beam (+) and ground to the outside bulbs for low beam, and high beam (+) and ground to the inner bulbs. Both bulbs share the ground wire.

Since you're missing the plug, all you have to do is run those 2 wires to the bulb. When looking at the back of the harness, there are 3 terminals on the low beam bulb. Only 2 terminals are actually used. These run parralel to each other. The odd one is not used. It's just empty.

Go to the auto parts store and get standard insulated spade terminals (males and females as appropriate) and 12-gauge wires. About 2 feet should be sufficient.

Then crimp the wires to the appropriate spade terminal and into the low beam (+) of the stock wire harness. It should be either Green with stripe or Red with stripe. I'm not sure right now but one is low beam and one is high beam. Pink (with stripe) is your ground. You don't have to use the ground on the harness. You can just tie it to the chassis somewhere.

So crimp one wire for low beam power and run that to the outside bulb. Crimp and connect the other prong to ground via the harness or a bolt on the radiator support. It doesn't matter which wire plugs into which prong since it's direct current. Current will run through the bulb either way. As long as your ground is good it should be okay.

Do the same for the high beam. I can't remember which wire is which, but if your low beams go on instead of high and vice versa, just switch the (+) wires. Not a big deal.

Just be extremely sure that you have good grounds.

Slip&Sliden 240
02-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Twist the cover off, remove the rubber boot. Once you have completed those two steps copy and paste what I have typed in quotes into your next reply. "I fixed the problem, they didnt have bulbs in them."

g6civcx
02-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Duh, no bulbs. Look in the FAQ for bulb sizes.

curbhuggerrps13
02-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Duh, no bulbs. Look in the FAQ for bulb sizes.
man u are aways on late like me...u work graveyard too?

91ka-t
02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
i know there is no bulb. b/c theres nothing to hold the bulb in. thats my main problem keeping the bulb in place

man2199
02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Your missing the metal housing the H1 bulb sits in. I think your best bet is to use a different bulb that has the three prongs on the back of it. I think a H7 bulb has the 3 prongs, but don't quote me on that.

91ka-t
02-27-2006, 06:17 PM
can anyone vouch for the h7 bulb?

91ka-t
02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
ok h7 bulb does not work. can i just tape the bulb in place for a temporary fix
b/c im using hi beams now

91ka-t
03-01-2006, 01:43 PM
does any know if the metal housing is easy to find or obtain?

Shawn_of_the_Dead
03-02-2006, 02:01 PM
you could probably get a set from another car that has projectors. I would try to get some j30 headlights or something similar and yank out the projectors with housing and everything. Just bake them and take em completely apart. I dont what bulbs the j30 uses...some maybe a different car, but you get the idea. Junkyard yo.

Sonic Motor
03-02-2006, 07:51 PM
here, coming from a guy who have like 10 sets of these puppies...

H1 for low beam,
H3 for high
H3c for fog.

The low beam is a 2 unit combo.
Its a H1(1 prong) that plugs into an adaptor(2 prong i think).

Your wiring is OK.

You have the wrong bulb(prolly H4) or adaptor.

As for the 3 prong female end where you plug your harness, I dont see it.

If you are still confused, feel free to ask me.

Sheazy0219, you are crazy LOL

Slip&Sliden 240
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
here, coming from a guy who have like 10 sets of these puppies...

H1 for low beam,
H3 for high
H3c for fog.

The low beam is a 2 unit combo.
Its a H1(1 prong) that plugs into an adaptor(2 prong i think).

Your wiring is OK.

You have the wrong bulb(prolly H4) or adaptor.

As for the 3 prong female end where you plug your harness, I dont see it.

If you are still confused, feel free to ask me.

Sheazy0219, you are crazy LOL

We came to the conclusion he knows there is no bulb. That is not his problem now. His problem is that he dosent have the metal housing with the clip that holds the bulb in.

BlackSilEighty
03-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Contact clutchkickdrifter. His AIM is apexiN1jgtc. He has 2 extra projectors he'd part out for you. The high beems sockets will work in the low beam slots.

91ka-t
03-04-2006, 02:09 PM
i have the housing just not the part that holds the bulb in. anyway i just screwed the bulb into the housing and grounded to a different point.
thanks anyway.

BlackSilEighty
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Be careful. Those bulbs get reeeeally hot. I did the same thing on mine when I was missing the clip. It melted the plastic on the housing and started smoking really bad. The wires burnt up and almost caught on fire too. I was using 12 gauge? wire.

BlackSilEighty
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Not to mention the bulb would flicker on and off due to it having a bad connection for doing it that way.