PDA

View Full Version : noise... coming from

Tricky1980
05-23-2002, 10:05 PM
ok, when im under light braking.. like under 10mph prolly closer to 5 or so.. just real light brakes.. i THOUGHT i heard a noise from front driver side.. but the guy over here at this brake shop told me it was REAR passenger side caliper just bouncing around.. but when i checked the caliper to doesnt wiggle at all with the rim and everything put together.. if it was that loose wouldnt it move with everything on? anyway he said 220 for parts and install.. im thinking this is quite a lot for JUST A CALIPER any ideas where to get a part and you think that i could do it myself? is it that difficult to change just a caliper on the rear? thx plz help me out

BlackFox
05-23-2002, 11:23 PM
it shouldn't be too hard to change a caliper, you just have to know how to bleed brakes, you can probably get a caliper at the dealer, i don't know how much, or check local parts stores. you baiscally need to release handbrake, take wheel off, drain brakes, take caliper off as well as brake line, take pads out too and put new one in. can be done in a few hours if you have parts.

I wouldn't worry about noises though unless it's a worn brake pad squeek, other than that, if you can stop without pulling to one side or the other i wouldn't worry about it.... unless you see some thing broken

p.s. mine doesn't wiggle either, 95 240sx se

S13 Passion
05-24-2002, 01:28 PM
i got almost the same problem... my mechanic told me the noise from my car was coming from the rear passenger side, but it turned out to be in the front passenger side.... he said my calipers were fine except the bushings were f*cked.  but he said i either need a new caliper or bushings which allow the calipers to clamp on the rotor.

Broadwayblues
05-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Brakes are really easy on our cars. If you are a little scared, just get a Haynes manual. You should have one anyway!!!