PDA

View Full Version : S14 SR ... boost not kicking in? - HELP!

jdm_s14_zenki
02-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Guys, i have an s14 sr in a s14 chassis. i had an idle problem, it was jumpy and i would bog out sometimes. First i tried adjusting my ide by disconnectings the TPS and messing with the idle controller..that didnt work, my idle would jump from 1200 to like 900 back and forth. When i connect the TPS, the idle settles to like 800-900 but when its night (colder air) the idle dips down real low...600 or so, but thoughout my daily driving, day or night, my idle jumps around still.

So i changed my fuel filter (300zx) my fuel lines (i used a slightly larger diameter 7mm instead of 6mm cus autozone didnt have any)

I changed my boost and vacuum lines (i was using 1/4 before and im now using 7/32)

I didnt use any hose clamps on vacuum or boost line (from the manual boost controller to intercooler)

the lines fit nice and snug and i dont think i have any leaks on the new hoses.

I have a oil catch tank recirc. back into the intake, i have a manual boost controller, stock intercooler and piping, stock mafs...

Now heres the problem im having now. The idle is still a little jumpy but much better..it does rev to about 1200 at times then sometimes it sits at 900 or so but it doesnt jump too much, it kinda just revs to 1200..

When im driving, i can hear the turbo spooling but when i give it more throttle, it just feels like the boost isnt kicking in at all, and i cant hear my turbo as much. i also get a slight ticking noise sometimes and it sounds like its comming from my injector side.

Right before i changed all the hoses, i didnt have the boost problem. i was boosting 14psi and i dont have a boost guage (i had the car tuned with afc and they set the boost for me.)

oh, and i have a blitz bov and its kinda old but seems to be working fine.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

jdm_s14_zenki
02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
no suggestions anyone?

Slidin240Wayz
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Possible boost leak somewhere.
Swap BOV's with someone who has a good working one.
Check your timing.
Buy and install a boost gauge.
Check the voltage at the TPS (.5)

Carlos

jdm_s14_zenki
02-25-2006, 01:08 PM
UPDATE:
Today i sprayed cleaner into the idle controller valve and throttle body and tried to reset the idle. when i unplugged the TPS the revs would continuously settle at 1200 rpm then shoot down to 1000 then go back up. i tried to make it settle at 1200 the best i could with the idle valve, i plugged the TPS back in and started the car.

now it idles and feels like it runs better but im still not getting the power like i used to and the engine shakes around a little sometimes..i just changed the sparkplugs and gapped em, installed an oil catch tank..
voltage is good,no boost leaks, the timing was good when i dyno tuned the afc at rnd dyno like 2 months ago.

im thinking my settings on the afc are wrong since i probably fixed some vacuum leaks when i changed the hoses. do i need to retune the afc to compensate for changing vacuum lines?? or any other suggestions?

jdm_s14_zenki
02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
okay, my problems still not fixed yet...ive checked again for vacuum or boost leaks..

I bought a blitz boost guage.

My Vacuum is at 1bar (very slight movement of the needle)
Boost is hitting 0.5 bar at full boost??

I had my MBC set to 1 bar before i started having this problem..

What else could it be? any help?

Nizzan4u2nv
02-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Did you pressure test the system for leaks? There might be leaks you cant see visually, like crack in the ic or cuts in vac lines. Whats your base timing at?

Use this for reference.
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=89947

If it holds pressure all the way to 1bar, you can be sure of no vac leaks.

Also, try running no safc or boost controller(det ecu and stock boost) see how it runs like that. Ive seen a lot of weird things with safc's not set up properly.

Ess14
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
sounds like your boost controller isn't controlling...
Your boost guage will read ~ .5 bar at stock boost.

Unplug the boost controller, should still be .5 bar.
If you re-connected the boost controller make sure everything is connected with the boost valve and such.
Keep us updated