PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone have changed Rack and Pinion BUSHING?

dog3gtr
02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
My S14's rack and pinion bushings are gone...

So i've ordered them from Nissan..

There are two bushings for it.

So, has anyone have done it b4?

Is it hard to change? i'm getting scared..

If you've done in b4, u have any tips?

Hope it's like changing sway bar bushings..

red240
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I did on my s13 but I had the engine out=no problem, not sure about with it in
Shouldn't be to bad.

Dousan_PG
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM
super easy to do
i hvae ES ones in now

but i have some rad YANACK solid ones going in when i pull the motor next month :)

1Via!
02-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I have ES rack bushings as well. I replaced them with the engine in the car with old, low, stock engine mounts. It sucked. Ass. All in all it took me about an hour, give or take 15 minutes. Its fairly easy to do, just don't do it with the engine in the car, or be prepared to have a friend to lend a helping hand.

These bushings tighten up steering and help turn in a bit, especially noticable at higher speeds.

dog3gtr
02-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Are you guys saying I should lift the engine up?

That doesn't sound easy..

Also, where can I get Energy Suspension steering rack bushings?

I can't find it in some of websites that I usually go..

1Via!
02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
i think splparts.com has them and a shitload of other places. Google "energy suspension."

you could use a jack with a block of wood under the oilpan to help give you some clearance. Its not that hard, just takes a while to get the top collar on the steering column input side down to a point where you can thread the bolt on correctly. I believe i used some c-clamps for this.

sdtouge
02-21-2006, 11:10 AM
super easy to do
i hvae ES ones in now

but i have some rad YANACK solid ones going in when i pull the motor next month :)

details on these solid ones?

aznpoopy
02-21-2006, 11:38 AM
you could use a jack with a block of wood under the oilpan to help give you some clearance.

doing it that way is a good way to develop an oil pan leak. (ask me how i know)

if you're going to use a jack to raise the engine, jack it from the tranny bellhousing area.

Shawn_of_the_Dead
02-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I second that. Never jack from under your oil pan....even a dent can cause a major decrease in oil pressure.

I will need to do this soon too. I was looking at getting the ones from spl. I think I need a new rack too...mine is leaking and steering wheel shakes at certain speeds.

SirWarrior
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
i got the bushings and will be doing it later this year (when its warm) along with rest of my suspension.

DJPimpFlex
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
you dont need to lift the engine. Just unbolt the rack from the crossmember and the steering shaft. You dont even really need to unbolt the steering shaft, but it makes it easier. Took me and citizen about 30min.

projectRDM
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
18 minutes from start to finish. It's stupid easy to do.

And if you can't find ES bushings, maybe you should try www.energysuspension.com. I bet they have some. Just note that they're made for the S13 rack and the round one is too thin to secure the S14 rack. You'll either need a Nismo unit or a piece of garden hose, split open and laid around it to secure it.

Dousan_PG
02-22-2006, 12:30 AM
details on these solid ones?

they arent rubber
they are aluminum?

solid. no flex at all. no play.

straight from jland.

FRpilot
02-22-2006, 12:45 AM
the energy suspension bushings i got are insanely hard to install. i gave up. i think you have to cut/trim them when installing.

1Via!
02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
the energy suspension bushings i got are insanely hard to install. i gave up. i think you have to cut/trim them when installing.
No cutting is required... Keep at it and use some C-clamps or vise grips to help getting the top collars down over the bushings. Thats where I ran into trouble.

sdtouge
02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
they arent rubber
they are aluminum?

solid. no flex at all. no play.

straight from jland.

ya i ment where can i get some? that seems sick. im trying to have the only bushings on my car the sway bar d ones. lol. how much wrere they?