PDA

View Full Version : nothing inside works!!! electrical advice needed!!!

sw20>>s14
02-21-2006, 12:30 AM
so, i havent driven my car in about two weeks total and it always had a tendency to drain the battery...after the first week of sitting, i pulled my car from my space across the street, into my driveway; about 25 feet...no jump needed...idled for about one minute and shut it off...

since then, i havent turned it over for about another week...finally today, i wanted to get an alignment so i jumped it...started fine, but nothing inside the car worked! meaning the whole cluster, interior dome light, moonroof, map lights, radio, windows...everything, except for the hvac didnt work...i also noticed that after being jumped, it idled as if it was warmed up (low idle indicated by sound; the tach was out)...it hasnt been started in over a week, the idle should have been a lot higher or at least in open loop...

my car keeps on dying, thats the alternator, but what is causing nothing inside to work properly? i checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine...the only thing i can think of is that when i was jumping it, i wasnt paying attention and reversed the + and - on the source (my camry)...would reverse polarity mess anything up on my car? sorry, but i suck at electrical diagnostics...any help would be greatly appreciated... :bigok:

daryl337
02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
reversing polarities is always bad... but you said that your fuses were fine? Check for a short in the wiring... or maybe there is a fuse you forgot to check. :D Also, try ecu. :D

Maeda
02-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Relays son.

Inside the car means it's either a fuse or a relay, or else you did something reallllly bad and have to go smelling wires.

Jumping the car does a number on your fuses. Some might not break but be weak and not conducting well.

Theres another scenario.
If you aren't driving the car around you aint charging that battery for SHIT.
Idling doesn't count.

Throttle until you're at 2000 RPMs.
Hold for 10 minutes.

Interior electronics crap out at about 9v.

Weak battery
No REAL charging taking place
= bing bing low voltage.

You win!

NEXT time you jump the car, drive it for a good half hour and then when you park it...
Take off the negative!

sw20>>s14
03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
i realize that you have to drive in order to charge...i may want to add that i didnt crank it while it had swapped terminals...i just saw a spark and took it off...

now, i talked to a few nissan techs and they said it definitely wasnt the relays...they suggested that it may be the "link fuse" on the positive terminal...but i cant seem to i.d. what they were describing...does anyone have experience testing or replacing this "link fuse"...

i have no problem driving w/o the ammenities of interior options for a while, but i definitely do not want to mess the odometer reading...is the odometer electrical or mechanical? because if it still ticks, ill drive it...im assuming its electrical due to the sensors...just checking...

my car still isnt operating up to par and the moral of the story is: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO JUMP A CAR WHILE VERBALLY FENDING OFF AN ERRATIC MOTHER!

RedtopTech
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
dude your an idiot. lots of weird things happen when your battery voltage is low_ you asked for help and you got the right answer then you ignore it

slider2828
03-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Ok man... check your main fuse box. Fusible links are the large SQUARE fuses. Check them very closely cause they can have a hair line break. Secondly, there is a fuse box inside your car and a huge one in fact. It is in the kick panel of the driver side. IMHO nissan techs suck sorry if I am offending anyone.

sw20>>s14
03-09-2006, 02:54 PM
dude your an idiot. lots of weird things happen when your battery voltage is low_ you asked for help and you got the right answer then you ignore it
it may sound like it, but i did not rule out maeda's suggestion...i just havent had time to charge the battery so i havent tried it...but please excuse me for not living life dependent on what is obviously the easiest solution...i like to be prepared, hence asking for further info on what else it could be...what the hell is wrong with gathering all the possible solutions and then executing? people have different ways of doing things, deal with it you douche

Ok man... check your main fuse box. Fusible links are the large SQUARE fuses. Check them very closely cause they can have a hair line break. Secondly, there is a fuse box inside your car and a huge one in fact. It is in the kick panel of the driver side. IMHO nissan techs suck sorry if I am offending anyone.
yeah, i realize that there is a fuse box inside the car...i just wasnt familiar with the term fusible links and couldnt find them...now i have a better understanding of where they are, thanks

NemeGuero
03-09-2006, 05:00 PM

You're pink. And it shows why.

BoNyG515
03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I can probably swing by and check it out...if you need the help

Nizzan4u2nv
03-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Ive done that once. Turns out the ALT fuse was blown.