PDA

View Full Version : Help removing dash parts

thewholefnshow
02-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Alright, I have pull dash's out before, but I always have some kind of book telling me it is ok to pull here or press her or something... but since I can't find a book for my car...

1.) How do you get the little plastic console around the shift boot out... I don't want to just yank and break the clips or something like that...

2.) The whole dash in the car looks like one piece... how the #### does that work? How do you change the gauge faces, cause in my s14 it really looks like 1 giant piece for the whole front of the car.

gschroeder78
02-25-2002, 10:54 AM
I don't know about the S14 but in my S13 I just took out all of the screws and all of the trim I could find around the dash. You have to take out the plastic around the steering column. You shouldn't have to pull the dash to get out the gauge cluster though. In my s13 the black part around the cluster comes out once you get the colum cover off. You just have to be careful not to force it or pull too hard. Once you get that out, it will expose the screws for the cluster.

For the shift boot, I belive there are srews underneath holding the plastic around the boot on, so you may have to remove the center console to get to those.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific

(Edited by gschroeder78 at 10:56 am on Feb. 25, 2002)

transient
02-25-2002, 12:14 PM
In an s13 there shouldnt' be anything but metal clips holding that plastic around the shift boot. If you get a hold of it by the rear of the shift boot and just pull up a bit it should come out. Dont' worry about breaking anything unless it's really taking some effort. As far as the whole center console goes, there are 4 screws holding the whole thing in, two on the sides up front and two in the rear. Once you get those screws out, lift up on the rear of the console.

blaqsilvia
02-25-2002, 04:04 PM
my car is auto- but I assume its very much the same as my car.. around the bottom where the shifter is.. is a plastic piece surrounding it-- I just yanked mine out and it came out-- clips and all and I just clipped it back in after I was done.. it comes off easily with the right amount of pressure..

if anything breaks though, not my fault! I'm just telling ya what I did with my car! :cool: