PDA

View Full Version : Coolant lines or not for cleanliness, suggestions?

S13-KA24DET
02-16-2006, 11:43 PM
keep in mind i have no heater or heater lines going to my firewall.

I've had problems with leaking coolant under the intake manifold and it's a damn PITA and i dont' want to deal with it anymore, so i have other plans (see below) while my motor's out and would like your guy's imput/suggestions, etc.

while i have my prepped turbo motor out (once again) i took off all the EGR and lines that attach to the lower intake plenum along with my decision to run no coolant lines or reroute them (see pic) but straight to the point, i just want a 'cleaner looking' set up.
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL465/2194199/8226066/129682910.jpg
basically
-#1 is just a coolant line that goes along the throttle body and back into one of the bigger coolant lines
Planning to just put a plug there or just cut that small pipe and weld/sand it smooth just to be clean
-#2's as you can see those 2 connect to each other, more than likely just replace the hose or you guys think i should plug it up or not, keep in mind i just want a cleaner look, but if it's going to effect my cooling system i'll just leave that
-#3's basically connect to each other, i was wondering if it's Safe to put a fill plug on the one on the block and making a custom plate for the one on the front, or would this change/fuck up the way the coolant needs to flow and be better off just running a hose

i just want helpful information towards this, like if you guys think it might mess up the way it flows due to plugs, or what not, I just think it'd be nice to have a cleaner look w/o worrying about a hose going bad/leaking on me

i don't mind flaming as long as it's helpful information i could use, any help is appreciated

g6civcx
02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Wow, thumbs up for actually labeling your pix with number.

Okay, this is what you need to do. Go pull up an FSM for your year KA. Go into the cooling section and look at how coolant circulate through the engine.

You'll see that those small passages are really done for the purpose of heating up certain parts (like heater core and throttle body), and you do not need them for proper coolant flow. Plus they are really small so they're not putting that much coolant through them.

I agree with you. It's a pain to fix coolant leaks. Better to plug them up and don't have to worry about it. You can weld it shut completely for extra reliability.

tunedis95
02-17-2006, 10:02 AM
you can also go to home depot...but some bolts and seal them up....i had to cut some bolts to make them fit and they work perfect....or you can weld...whatever its just easier to bolt them up it you don't have a welder

g6civcx
02-17-2006, 10:20 AM
If you want to trick it out, you can get braided -AN hoses with slip-on hose ends. Clamp them on, and put a cap on the other end. It will not be permanent and still seals pretty well, in case you need to remove in the future for whatever reason.

The downside is they do cost quite a bit, but if you want to dress up your engine, it'll look nice.

projectRDM
02-18-2006, 08:10 AM
My input from my own car:

#1- Cut short and weld closed. It's not needed and you can slip the hose further up the main pipe to cover it completely.

#2- required, just replace it.

#3- required as well, that's the feed/outlet for the heater core, though you're no longer using heat you still need to run the hose to cycle the water through the block.