PDA

View Full Version : TQ or HP? Read this now!!!

blu808
02-06-2006, 02:07 AM
http://www.v8914.com/Horsepower-v-torque.htm

curbhuggerrps13
02-06-2006, 02:47 AM
intresting while eating my frozen pizza

NI_YON_Zenki
02-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Alright

Whats the point? Exactly

this was dicussed In Highschool

janko
02-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Alright

Whats the point? Exactly

this was dicussed In Highschool

Too bad I didn't go to your high school. I love the sarcasm and $hitty attitudes on this board. Not everyone knows as much as you, get over yourself.

TheWolf
02-06-2006, 07:03 AM
while it's an interesting article... it goes on to completely just show one facet.. and throwing in a CVT drive is just dumb.. they don't have a production CVT car that can handle more than 200HP.. so all cars require some sort of fixed gearing... the broader the torque curve will result in a broad power curve.. while hondas get a bad rep for not having much torque.. their high RPM can produce lots of power but at the trade off of a limited power output range. hence just like on a 240 the come with high gear ratios on final drives.. while a SBC produces lots of torque.. it has a limited peak power output because it can't rev as high but a broad range of power delivery so it can be geared sensibly... same with supras... if you make all your power at 7-9k.. you only need 575ftlbs at 9000 rpm to make over 1000HP. but because it's all uphigh you won't be moving anywhere from a stop... unless you had his magical CVT 21:1 gearing and then at that speed you'd have to shift or lower the gear ratio almost imediatly then the extreme is a F1 car 250ftlbs at 18000 rpm is still pushin 900hp.. neither engine would be very streetable.. area under the torque curve is important in streetability... peak torque not so much..

skatanic28
02-06-2006, 08:07 AM
doesnt nissan have a cvt mated to the vq in some cars? i think its been in the murano for a few years now, and i havent heard of many complaints about it.

good read.

blu808
02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I posted this because im tired of people wondering why i would want to install a 400hp 400tq ls1 in my drift car, instead of a 500hp 350tq rotary.

Some of the people on these boards are retarded, and if you read through the whole thing it explains it perfectly.

NemeGuero
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Good read. I liked it.

EchoOfSilence
02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
while it's an interesting article... it goes on to completely just show one facet.. and throwing in a CVT drive is just dumb.. they don't have a production CVT car that can handle more than 200HP.. so all cars require some sort of fixed gearing... the broader the torque curve will result in a broad power curve.. while hondas get a bad rep for not having much torque.. their high RPM can produce lots of power but at the trade off of a limited power output range. hence just like on a 240 the come with high gear ratios on final drives.. while a SBC produces lots of torque.. it has a limited peak power output because it can't rev as high but a broad range of power delivery so it can be geared sensibly... same with supras... if you make all your power at 7-9k.. you only need 575ftlbs at 9000 rpm to make over 1000HP. but because it's all uphigh you won't be moving anywhere from a stop... unless you had his magical CVT 21:1 gearing and then at that speed you'd have to shift or lower the gear ratio almost imediatly then the extreme is a F1 car 250ftlbs at 18000 rpm is still pushin 900hp.. neither engine would be very streetable.. area under the torque curve is important in streetability... peak torque not so much..

maybe if you knew something, this post would be informative.

sr20vet with CVT in the X-Trail makes well over 200hp

S13 Charlie
02-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks Blu I'll enjoy finishing that article in a little bit.. first some ice cream!

Another advantage to LS1 over 13B is the sound coming out of your tailpipe! Big V8 = WAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHHH!!! :boink:

TheWolf
02-07-2006, 06:04 AM
maybe if you knew something, this post would be informative.

sr20vet with CVT in the X-Trail makes well over 200hp

actually the one x-trail with the CVT was some xtrail-gt about released little over a year ago... when it first came out it was a 4spd auto.. needless audi and nissan have developed *gasp* a CVT tranny thats capable of holding 250ftlbs before sliping. so wewt.. your right in some overpriced cars.. about 4 models around the world have a CVT that's capable of 250ftlbs instead of the normal 150ftlb range that other manufacturers have.

unfortunatly it still can not touch the gear ratio reduction as mentioned in the article... not within it's range.. and unlike normal transmissions that can be overtaxed at the expense of longevity this one actually starts to slip at 250ftlbs so not exactly the best platform for a sr.. 300ish hp and it's done. not to mention the computer controlling of it makes it shift like it had gears.. :hahano:

infinitexsound
02-08-2006, 01:33 AM
so whats the big deal.... ? i read it....

BigVinnie
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I posted this because im tired of people wondering why i would want to install a 400hp 400tq ls1 in my drift car, instead of a 500hp 350tq rotary.

Some of the people on these boards are retarded, and if you read through the whole thing it explains it perfectly.

I think you missed what torque is about and the fundementals. More torque allows room for larger gear ratios. Larger gear ratio's allow you to make higher top speeds....
Why will a Corvette make upto 206MPH, while a rotary will probably make 165mph. Simple there isnt enogh torque to play with larger gear ratio's.

while it's an interesting article... it goes on to completely just show one facet.. and throwing in a CVT drive is just dumb.. they don't have a production CVT car that can handle more than 200HP..

OH really???
Nissan Murano utilizes a CVT transmission with over 232Awhp.........
Thats also funny that it is one of the faster all wheel drive suv's on the market. I test drove one for 4days and took it to Tahoe, it also gets excellent gas mileage.

blu808
02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Bigvinnie: Are you a complete retard? Have you seen my car? Why the hell do you think i put an LS1 into my rx7?

And you think that torque is only benificial for top speed?

What if you took that 200mph corvette, and geared it to only go 100mph? It would get up to 100mph twice as fast.

Shock not paying attention, and missing the point.

BigVinnie
02-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Bigvinnie: Are you a complete retard? Have you seen my car? Why the hell do you think i put an LS1 into my rx7?

And you think that torque is only benificial for top speed?

What if you took that 200mph corvette, and geared it to only go 100mph? It would get up to 100mph twice as fast.

Shock not paying attention, and missing the point.

Dude your lame and missing the point.
A corvette LS1 couldn't use a smaller gear ratio it would blow the tranny. It is what it is and nothing else, don't down play what I stated. After boosting your precious Mazda (if it was to be rotary) you would still need to spend over 5grand to change your ratio's whats your point you still wont hit 200 MPH with the new and improved "parasitic degradation loss" you would get from the newer stronger transmission anyways (you would actually lose some numbers on the dyno bud, "that was part of my point"). My point was torque is important and you spazed, so what get over yourself.... I wasn't stating anything about your car imperticular, I was simply adding more suggestion.
You said about swapping an LS1, I was talking about actual cars corvettes to RX7, and not stating that you couldn't hit 200mph with a LS1 in a RX7........
Torque is beneficial to top speeds and larger gearing ratio's (PERIOD).

P.S I don't give a fuck about your car......... You didn't state the purpose of your swap........

infinitexsound
02-08-2006, 09:00 PM
get a hewland.... like someone who told me... "Id be suprised if u could blow up a Hewland"

Drunk Bastard
02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I think you missed what torque is about and the fundementals. More torque allows room for larger gear ratios. Larger gear ratio's allow you to make higher top speeds....
Why will a Corvette make upto 206MPH, while a rotary will probably make 165mph. Simple there isnt enogh torque to play with larger gear ratio's.

OH really???
Nissan Murano utilizes a CVT transmission with over 232Awhp.........
Thats also funny that it is one of the faster all wheel drive suv's on the market. I test drove one for 4days and took it to Tahoe, it also gets excellent gas mileage.

actually, up around those speeds...aerodynamics plays a big role.

Silverbullet
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
good article. This can clarify many misconceptions for some ppl. I always thought it was funny when people would say "it has more torque than HP" because torque is a variable of HP. Torque is force while HP is work.

bcrume
02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I think it's kind of shitty that you took out the rotary but then again chevy makes a great engine and the power is cheaper, and more reliable. Whatever makes you happy.

blu808
02-09-2006, 01:43 AM
So. Bigvinnie neg repped me with this comment.

No your a dumbass I compared a corvette to Mazda with a shitty transmission to begin with

Now i will say this you dumb shit. Do you realize that my tranny is the same as a viper? T56. wtf does that have to do with it anyway. The rear end. final drive ratios are almost the same to a vette/viper but with more hp/tq and do you honestly still believe that the only reason i would put a v8 in my 7 is for top speed?

You sir are teh suck. Its like going to a retirement home to pick up chicks. All you get is apple sauce, and poo.

Dumb ass.

blu808
02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
So "Bigvinnie" You really think that if i took a stock 350hp ls1 and changed the ratios it would cost over 5k for the gears, and it would blow a tranny that is capible of handling over 900 whp? Wow Thanks for letting me know that. I guess i should take out my tranny and put a ka tranny in there, with a single cam ka, and throw David munos in there for good luck right?

Please do tell us what you would recomend for my fd?

Would it be a jdm rb25 with a t4 turbo, and a motec system exhaust?

Either way, you suck at life, and your munos species should have died off by now. whats the deal?

BigVinnie
02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Blu are you crazy? You are the one that is deriving inflamatory remarks. I was just explaining that you wouldn't get that type of power potential from a rotary engine....... Are you reading too fast??? I wasn't trying to offend you or your car from the begining. (yes I read the shock drifting pages with your swap, dont fool your self buddy.)
You only spoke of the potential of using torque to go fast, I was trying too help by represneting that it also allows you to go faster with fewer limitations.... What is there to not understand?????????
Kinda of why I used a Corvette to a Mazda and hence your swap(which I should of added in the first post to reinforce, but didn't), If you read carefully I didn't dog you from the first post, just rienforced it....... Maybe I should of clarified better but that is what I tried to represent.
I explained that it is simple to understand, there isn't enough torque for a rotary to make it want to go any FASTER than 200MPH,(well atleast with out a shit load of money for the transmission).....
Geez man your taking it out of context and out of control, that is what the negative rep point was for, your hinderance to understand, and then have to call people names. Grow up.......

blu808
02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I call em as i see em. Anyways, maybe if you would have elaborated on your comment i would have thought differently.

Skeet.