PDA

View Full Version : i messed something up.. help!

CoasTek240
05-20-2002, 05:56 PM
ok i was doing some donuts the other day.. i layed them down pretty nice.. i got it on videotoo, so i'll post it soon, but the problem is not when i take a turn over approx 60degrees i can hear something form the back of my car clicking. my friedn thad the soame thing wrong with his honda civic, except it was the front b/c i guees it's b/c he hasd fwd.. well anyways does anyone have any suggestions.. and does this isound like it's the problem.. i'm going to a mechanic in a couple days.. also will prolonged driving on it like this make it worse? or harm somethign else?
ok  thanx guys

CoasTek240
05-20-2002, 07:00 PM
come on u guys.. help me out.. i just need a littl einfo just give me ur input no matter what it is.. thanx

240meowth
05-20-2002, 07:27 PM
check the dust boot on the strut, my tercel's strut was loose, and when i go steright it clicks.

or, check for clerance around the wheel, sometimes some lose panels can be in the way of the wheel

CoasTek240
05-20-2002, 08:32 PM
ok  it's only when turning.. i know it's something around the area of my axle.. it feels like suspension.. it's awefully loose on harder turns.. well it clicks too.. i think it's the cv joint.. will someone get a hold of ace.. he's gotta know

AceInHole
05-20-2002, 08:56 PM
a:  what kind of clicking is it... does it sound like metal on metal?  Is it always a constant rate of ticking??
b:  is it under normal turning or just hard turning??  basically is it only when the car is leaning??

It might be a CV joint, but if that was the case you'd have clicking under more than just cornering (unless somehow the car is leaning and stressing the cv joint somehow).  It might be the diff if it's clicking just whenever you turn (since that's the only part that has any specific movement to turning from the rear end).

importrza
05-20-2002, 09:58 PM
hmm sounds like either
a. differential (possibly)
b. wheel bearing(more likely) this is easily tested by going about 45-60 w/ the radio turned off and gently swaying from side to side if the clicking becomes louder when the weight is put on a certain side then bingo you have a blown out wheel bearing.
c. CV joint(more likely also)this is also a clicking that is heard when turning and the clicking speeds up with acceleration.
I have seen both a CV joint and bearing go at the same time so do some diagnoses and then start tearing it apart. You can usually feel wheel bearing movement when you have the car jacked or hoisted up and the wheel will move slightly.
Hopefully this will help you out

tnord
05-21-2002, 09:50 AM
a "clicking" noise when turning is typically the first sign of CV joints going bad. but since you say it comes from the rear of the car (are there CV joints back there?), and your friends honda had the same problem but in the front, i'd say it's definitely something along the line of axles and other parts that have to do with the drive wheels (not exactly sure what those other parts are).  i have heard of diff's making a clicking noise when cornering, but i thought that was only with mechanical diffs, not our viscous unit.

CoasTek240
05-21-2002, 05:47 PM
ok i can't even repeat what i hear all the time.. it has to be at least 15 to 20 mph, and it clicks  sometimes.. i'm really at a loss i think i'll just take it to my mechanic and see what he says.. but thanx for all ur replies, guys! late

Yosho
05-22-2002, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure if this really applies to you... CV boots often go bad on FWD Nissans, but I don't have any experience with RWD's yet.

Anyways, all a CV Boot does is hold grease around the CV joint.  (The boot is the rubber flexy thing).  When the boot cracks due to old age and high stress... it can't hold the grease in around the joint.  Now normally that grease is pretty thick... but as you go down the road it heats up and becomes more fluid.  If the boot is cracked... the grease simply runs out.  It's easy to spot a bad CV boot... just look.  It'll be torn and grease will be coming out of it.  If the boot is torn, there's a good chance that the joint will have gone bad too (driven for awhile without enough grease).  If this is the case, you'll know simply by turning the wheel until it locks in both directions while turning... it'll make a nasty clicking noise.

Again, I don't know how helpful this'll be for your 240, but it's good to know none the less.