PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ BLACK PAINT!!! NEw paint help!

gotta240
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I'm getting my car painted this week or next. I am trying to paint the car a SUPER CLEAN BLACK, with some gold pearl or metalic in it.

I have been looking for weeks for the right color, and only found ONE color that is close. It is off the 05 or 06 pontiac gto. It is VERY close to what i want, but not quite enough gold in it. My question is, can i just make my own color, and how will it look?

I would just use a gloss black, and add gold metalic or pearl. My other question is, should i use it IN the paint, or put a little in the clear coat? or do both?

Also, what is the advantage of multiple clear coats? thanks a lot guys!!

Irukandji
01-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I personally got integrated clear coat with my paintjob because I didn't want to dish out a lot of money.

The benefits of a clear coat are
your car's finish will have more protection due to an extra film over the original paint
the car's finish can be polished without compromising the luster of the paint
and finally
Scratches can easily be removed using a polishing compound.

It's up to you though, i didn't dish out an extra $300 because my car isn't a show car. I just wanted it to look decent.

rps13sr20det
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
do a nice stage 2 paint with clear, more depth in the lure of the pain, and with a clear you have a better paint to fix or polish

gotta240
01-31-2006, 10:53 PM
yeah. i know all that. thanks for the info though.

I always use the 2 stage paint, but i've always gone with just one or two coats of clear. I hear of people using like 4 or 5 coats. is that just more to wet sand down for a mirror finish? How much clear should i get for a GREAT finish?

Also, i'm more concerned about getting the color i want right now. Is it o.k. to put gold pearl or metalic IN the paint, or should i put a little in the CLEAR coat, or both? What are the finished products going to look like?

I just want a SUPER shiny black, with some gold pearl or mettalic that can be seen up close or in lots of sunlight.
thanks

TheSparo
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
i wouldn't put it in the clearcoat... but thats just me, im not any type of paint expert though