PDA

View Full Version : what to use to flush old brake fluid out?

floodo1
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
So im going to be chaning my old brake fluid out for some new fluid. What should i use to flush the old fluid out with, before i put the new fluid in?

thanks in advance

TheWolf
01-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Um... you should use new brake fluid to flush out the old.... :)

What you do is either full up the resivour with a different color/ new fluid.. example ATE superblue/supergold... remember dot3/4 is not compatible with silicone dot 5... Utilize dot4 for the avg street car setup. when you bleed the setup you will notice the old shit comming out and the new fresh comming in... if you boil your brakes at autox or drift you should change it soon as once boiled the fluid looses alot of it's resistance

floodo1
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Um... you should use new brake fluid to flush out the old.... :)

What you do is either full up the resivour with a different color/ new fluid.. example ATE superblue/supergold... remember dot3/4 is not compatible with silicone dot 5... Utilize dot4 for the avg street car setup. when you bleed the setup you will notice the old shit comming out and the new fresh comming in... if you boil your brakes at autox or drift you should change it soon as once boiled the fluid looses alot of it's resistance

hmmm ok, im going super blue, so i hope its easy enuf to see. i only have one can so i want to make sure im right before i jump into it

g6civcx
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
If you're not sure, you can get the BG brake flush service. It runs for about $70, and will flush out all the old fluid in the system.

Otherwise just fill up the reservoir and start bleeding in sequence specified in the FSM until you see fresh fluid coming out. Go around at least 2 times and all the old fluids should be out. Make sure the reservoir never runs low or you'll suck in air.

Just as a caution, if you're asking about it, you probably shouldn't be doing it without help. The first couples of times you do brakes will be tricky. Get the FSM while you're at it.

floodo1
02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
If you're not sure, you can get the BG brake flush service. It runs for about $70, and will flush out all the old fluid in the system.

Otherwise just fill up the reservoir and start bleeding in sequence specified in the FSM until you see fresh fluid coming out. Go around at least 2 times and all the old fluids should be out. Make sure the reservoir never runs low or you'll suck in air.

Just as a caution, if you're asking about it, you probably shouldn't be doing it without help. The first couples of times you do brakes will be tricky. Get the FSM while you're at it.

sweet. nah im not a car newb like that or something. i just wondered if there was some fluid to use in order to push the old fluid out, that way i could be sure there was no old fluid mixing in with the new fluid behind it.

sounds good :)