PDA

View Full Version : s14 exhaust install..pipe issues.

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
so my rsr gt2 exhaust just came in yesterday and i went to put it on today.
while under the car, i notice my stock exhaust has been welded completely together.
by that, i mean the piping from the flange at the exhaust manifold is welded to the entire exhaust pipe.
it looks like where the flange should be for the exhaust to bolt on to was replaced by a piece of pipe for whatever reason...so flange is no more.
so my question is, since i am not turbo i cant just buy a downpipe.
what do i buy, because i dont believe that piping is called downpipe on a na application.
where can i buy it?
thanks in advance guys, please help, because this really sucks

180InProgress
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Buy a new exhaust header/exhaust manifold? I know there's some cheap ones out there from DC sports or Pacesetter(:keke: )
There should be a whole crap load, google it and see what comes up :x:

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
no the exhaust manifold is fine. i mean the piping that bolts to the manifold on that end is fine. the other end of that piece that bolts to the exhaust is where it is welded

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
or is header really the only option?

g6civcx
01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Here's a stupid question. Is the heat shield blocking your view of the flange? Can you take a picture?

Worst case scenario. If you say the exhaust manifold is fine, the official name from Nissan for the pipe between the manifold and the catalytic convert is the front exhaust tube. That will go to your cat. If your cat is welded, you can get a new cat put in. The new cat will have a flange for the catback exhaust to bolt on.

I think most likely the previous owner replaced the cat, and instead of buying a cat with flanges, they decided to get a universal cat and weld it on.

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
yeah its all welded. the only flange on the entire exhaust system is at the manifold.
the heat shield is gone, so it is not blocking my view.

drift925
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
take a picture and post if you can..and i agree with g6civicx

mine is also like that.. i took out the heatshield..and i realized that someone welded it on...i was a little worried at first because i noticed a small hole in the exhaust..

and i just went to a junkyard and bought a new downpipe..and stock exhaust only for 50 bucks...at a pick n pull..

but ur gt2 just need to bolt on..so thats what i would do.

trsilvias13
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
someone probably just need a cat replacement, and cheap muffler place does that. Instead of giving you flanges they weld the cat to the dp and the exhaust.

either cut where the cat meet the exhuast and weld a flange there so you can bolt on the catback or...

but headers, or jsut a downpipe (sr dp fit the s14 ka header) but a test pipe or new highflow or regular cat and bolt on your exhaust

i pick the latter

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
so just get a new front exhaust tube? will i still need a cat?
i know someone aftermarket exhausts dont allow cat, they just bolt up to the front exhaust tube

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
someone probably just need a cat replacement, and cheap muffler place does that. Instead of giving you flanges they weld the cat to the dp and the exhaust.

either cut where the cat meet the exhuast and weld a flange there so you can bolt on the catback or...

but headers, or jsut a downpipe (sr dp fit the s14 ka header) but a test pipe or new highflow or regular cat and bolt on your exhaust

i pick the latter

so if i buy an sr DP and a cat it will fit fine?
the sr dp bolts up to ka N/A exhaust manifold?

drift925
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Yea man you can do that also. that would probally be the best thing to do..but if u do buy an after market exhaust that doesnt allow a cat...make sure that it can pass smog..most likely it wont..so dont throw away those welded pipes..because i might need to bolt on for smog..

try to hit up ur nearest junkyard and see if u can pick up the pipes u need.
shoudlnt be more than 75 bucks..try to find a pick n pull

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
ive searched every junkyard within a 30 mile radius for 2 years for s14's..just isnt shit around here.

i definately want an sr dp, not a ka dp?
i ask because megan makes both, and they both look pretty different, maybe its just the flex section on the ka one throwing me off, but they definately look different.

drift925
01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
oh damn..i just realized ur far away from home..ahah.. over here there are many junkyards. sorry bout that

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
i guess really the dp and cat is cheaper overall, because i would like to swap this thing, so i could just use that over on the sr, instead of getting a header that will be useless. my big concern is that i want it to fit well, i have had a big issue with exhaust leaks on this car in the 3 years ive owned it.primarily at the gasket where the "dp" meets the exhaust manifold. i dont know if it works its way loose from the engine twisting (i do need to, and am buying motor mounts soon), or what. but its been an ongoing problem.

drift925
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
shit man..well good luck wit that..i'm actually in the process of swapping a sohc to a twin cam..much less difficulty...

but post up some pics..when u get your done..good luck again man

papershot
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
why not just cut the exhaust you have and weld in a new flange? thats like $10 at muffler shops.

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
i think id rather do the dp thing to be honest, as long as someone can vouch on fitment.

drift925
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
i have a dohc downpipe laying around in case u need..

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 01:23 PM
after this thread i think im leaning aftermarket, but check your pm

papershot
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
somethings wrong with your current downpipe then? cutting the cat/testpipe/whaever you have now would be the easiest.

i used greddy header/sr downpipe/testpipe/gp sports. you might run into some length issues.

devonkyle77
01-27-2006, 01:52 PM
so if i use stock manifold sr dp cat and rsrgt2 will i be ok?