PDA

View Full Version : how do you take off a lug nut lock without its key??

sepulchral
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
friend just bought a car, the seller did not include the lug nut-lock key

how can he have them removed?

kuramaya
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Tap and Dye Set, Drill, new bolt will be needed

180InProgress
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
If you know what company makes the wheel lock you can buy a new set of wheel locks from that company and it'll come with a key. Do you have a pic of the wheel lock(s)?

Ritz S14
01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
McGuards types? Just take it to a tire shop(BIG O TIRES) to have them removed.

Most other types of "tuner" locks can be removed with a 17mm 6pt socket.

g6civcx
01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
If you know what company makes the wheel lock you can buy a new set of wheel locks from that company and it'll come with a key. Do you have a pic of the wheel lock(s)?

May not work for all companies. Some of them make unique wheel locks with a serial number.

ranisron
01-26-2006, 10:04 PM
^^ correct...

my friend busted (snapped) my wheel lock so I am fucked.

I have heard from mechanics that they just hit it hard with a 6pt socket

Vatche
01-26-2006, 10:07 PM
if u take it to the tire shops, they usually have the keys for most of the locks......if it is like the ones i bought from H&W motorsports u can take them off using a 1/2 inch extension....square fits into their star pattern....or u can research just buying the key.

never use a gun on a lock nut btw....to tighten it will fuck your stud and your lock nut up

mrmephistopheles
01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
air chisel

Irukandji
01-26-2006, 10:21 PM
i used an air chisel to crack the lug nut, then took off all the other lug nuts, and tugged the shit out of the wheel until it came off with the lug nut. I was planning to buy the new wheel stud anyway, so I just replaced it afterwards.

calebxmartyr
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
my wheels came with gorilla lugs and both of the key's busted (thin shitty keys) i called the company and told them and they sent me 2 for free.

KA24DESOneThree
01-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I've had Gorilla lugs for a year and I've probably torqued and de-torqued the wheels 50 times with no problems.

If you really want shitty, get Kyokugen.

HATchTRICK
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
snap-on, mac, matco or one of them delivery truck tool guys can sell you a a universal tool kit to remove them wheel locks.

breakindrifts
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah at my pepboys they have wheel lock removers.

Phlip
01-28-2006, 10:44 PM
If all else fails, as has been mentioned, take them to a wheel shop and have them removed or otherwise broken off, approach it expecting to replace some studs

NemeGuero
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Use a screw driver and a mallet. Hit the lock at a downward angle. The metal of the lug nut is soft enough that the screw driver will make a seating groove in it.

Just keep hammering until it comes off.

nrg
01-28-2006, 11:12 PM
I think everyone is giving wrong information. You don't want to break the lug nuts. If so, you can damge the wheel and have to replace the studs. Just more work. Here's a theives' secret. Just find a socket (w/ 1/2 drive) that is alittle smaller than the lug locks. Now hammer that socket on top of it and get out a 1/2 breaker bar. Works every time.

aznpoopy
01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
I think everyone is giving wrong information. You don't want to break the lug nuts. If so, you can damge the wheel and have to replace the studs. Just more work. Here's a theives' secret. Just find a socket (w/ 1/2 drive) that is alittle smaller than the lug locks. Now hammer that socket on top of it and get out a 1/2 breaker bar. Works every time.

you beat me to it...

another solution is to you can take it to a shop and have them weld an expendable socket or extension onto the nut.

NemeGuero
01-29-2006, 12:54 AM
My solution is NOT wrong information. I've removed many a stripped nut/bolt/stud with that method.

andrewmp6
01-29-2006, 05:20 AM
buy a remover kit or any good tire shop should be able to take them off for you

codyace
01-29-2006, 05:44 AM
snap-on, mac, matco or one of them delivery truck tool guys can sell you a a universal tool kit to remove them wheel locks.

Perfect Advice, and work everytime.

They are made out of hardened steel (like impact sockets) and are no larger than a normal socket. They have a 'rifled' inside that grips/digs into the lugnut when you hammer them over. When you remove, the rifeling is designed to grip even more. The kit has almost any size you will need...

Here is a link to the Matco one: 3rd item down
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/tss5d.jpg
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2216&page=2郶

ALSO:

Here is the entire wheel lock removal kit form Matco. It's the first item on the page
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2424&page=3ꞎ

nrg
01-29-2006, 01:54 PM
um.. you guys are going overboard. i'm sure he just needed a quick solution without damaging the wheels or replacing the stud. Spending hundreds on a socket set is a waste of time.

BlackSilEighty
01-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Yeah, but what if the keyed out section is on the inside of the lug nut? Just go to PepBoys or something and have them look it over. They will probably sell that lug nut. I broke 2 keys and that's exactly why I sold those wheels and bought wheels that fit a standard acorn nut.

ledzeppelin240
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah I have always used a Mac Tools set which is just like the Matco set. Takes about the same time as if you had the key for the lug nut. No damaged stud or wheel and now all you do is buy a lug nut.

FaLKoN240
01-30-2006, 01:55 AM

That's how I get down when I need to remove wheel locks.

Buy a 22 and break them locks YO!

!Zar!
01-30-2006, 02:39 AM
If all else fails, as has been mentioned, take them to a wheel shop and have them removed or otherwise broken off, approach it expecting to replace some studs
Just make sure to have a resputable shop do that. psychoblue23 (James) Had the same problem with his miata. And the idiots at the shop tried to torch the nut off. Nuff said that they melted the rim and made a huge mess.

blu808
01-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Usually if you take a deep socket that is smaller diameter, and beat it onto the lug it will work.

About the gorrilla wheel locks. They only break because side load is being applied to the socket. They can only handle twisting force, not side force.

2iv0 sx
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
are those Muteki lugs any good? where can i get the Gorilla lugnuts from?

Wei240
02-02-2006, 02:21 PM
sounds like a bunch of thieves sharing trade secrets,.. haha

i bought my gorilla lug nut set from pep boys quite a while back, not sure if they carry it anymore...

yeah, and i never track w/ wheel locks either in case something bad happens, don't want to be stuck somewhere far away...