|06-03-2010, 11:08 PM||#1|
bad news for local drifting, so help it out!!
heres part of the email i got from scca president brendan griggs:
The club has voted that the next drift event (6-26) will be the deciding factor on whether Fresno SCCA sanctions any future drift events.
The primary factors leading to this decision are:
1) The club has seen almost no leadership from the drift community. When this was started 18 months ago, we were promised that the drifters would be able to manage their own events, this hasn't happened. There needs to be a group of at least 5 that can manage and organize all things drift related within the club.
2) Lack of attendance. The last drift event made the club $10. We are not in a financial situation to absorb the impact if an event is not attended well enough to make money. Fresno SCCA's board was told that these drift events would attract people from all over California and that getting 50 cars at each event wouldn't be an issue.
3) Safety. Bottom line, the cars need to be prepared better. MUCH better. We have bent so many rules in allowing the cars to run but our chief safety steward has said no more. Bumpers cannot be flying off while on track - zip ties are not proper fasteners. Battery hold downs must be properly engineered. Wiring and seats were also mentioned. There also needs to be a couple certified safety stewards within the drift community so that you guys can conduct your own events. Josh Fine has been covering them for you but he simply doesn't want to anymore. He was promised, like the rest of us, that you guys would get some members to become safety stewards, to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't.
4) Event operations. To date, most of the behind the scenes work for drift events has been conducted by the autocrossers of the club. The club would like to see that the drifters have a clear understanding of exactly how an event is ran. From insurance paperwork, sanction applications, getting the trailer,registration, tech, setup, teardown, returning trailer and everything else. Again, we were promised that the drifters would be able to run their own show.
5) Meeting attendance. Meetings is where the business side of things take place for the club. The meetings aren't optional, they are a required activity in order for us to maintain the club. We have seen VERY little drift attendance at the meetings. This was even more of a problem at the last meeting where we were really discussing the future of drifting within Fresno SCCA.
To wrap up, the next drift event needs to be an example to the board and to the rest of the autocross community within the club that the drifters can and will conduct safe, well managed and well attended events. If this doesn't happen, we have already voted that the rest of the drift events will be removed from the calendar. I hope you realize that this isn't personal, we just need to make sure that the interests of the club are our first priority. This was the result of almost an hour of debate at the meeting.
while some of the info brendan said i think is just fault or exagerations they also bring up good points, sadly some that ive never heard of before (which wouldve been nice to hear earlier as so i could have taken care of it)so what theyre asking for: more people to become scca members so that we can organize our own events (thatll involve having: event chairmens, safety stewards, car tech inspectors, and other event logistics like paperwork and whatnot). they also asking for a larger and more consistent amount of participants, also in increase in ehicle safety via proper/safer means of assembling your vehicle and an increase of drifters showing up to the monthly scca meetings. so step up and help out or see local drifting go away. i mean its just been me at meetings, going to safety trainings and bearing the burden of the drift events. if its easier, cheaper and better to go elsewhere then......what can i say, but please try to avoid the streets if possible.
|06-06-2010, 11:54 PM||#4|
|10-21-2010, 04:17 PM||#6|
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: where the girls are prettier
Trader Rating: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sucks....but you should know...scca doesn't play around. You are trying to be legit...without being legit.
and you don't even have any other organization fighting for track time.
here's some help.
to get more people...maybe have a weekley meet.
safer cars.....get people to pre-tech before an event (maybe at a meet)
75% of the drift community doesn't give a fuck about rules.....so with that said. they need to be enforced really well.
i've helped run events, and the most important thing to willow was keeping everything organized and safe. They used to watch us crash cars into hey bales, hell....even crashing into each other, but as long as the cars were caged with fire extinguishers and there were people at track watching everything...willow didn't mind....well...they did, but didn't cry about it.
Portrait. Japanese. Freehand. facebook.com/davidhamburgtattoo
|10-24-2010, 02:40 AM||#7|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Trader Rating: (14)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
^^^ what he said bro!
But sounds kinda hard to get people to go out to those events...
That guy isn't down for ziptied bumpers? Aero falling off? That IS drifting.... lol
And NO tandem?
May the force be with you sir!
|10-31-2010, 04:18 PM||#8|
Join Date: Dec 2007
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
|11-10-2010, 12:01 AM||#9|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: M-A-R-S... MARS BITCHES
Trader Rating: (33)
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Sad to hear, but with Fresno sprawling landscapes and streets that lead into the farmland, most people I know meet up on blackstone and then cruise out to hit up local spots. Not very many actually go to actual events anymore.
It is too bad. Im glad I live in socal where cars are serious business.
Hope you guys get your shit together. I know it would be a disapointment for a lot of people up there.
|06-04-2012, 03:13 AM||#12|
Join Date: Aug 2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCCA meet which is held every 3rd Monday of every Month and Our voice isn't being heard with the board of directors.
I say its obvious that Scca here in the Central valley doesnt want nothing to do with drifting which i dont mind.
The NON PROFIT DRIFT Group that wants to help the valley with the sport. NAME: Fresno Tanso Cen cal drift/culture or movement. First event will be Held.
JULY 7 1202...Fresno fairground.
DRIFT FOR A CAUSE!!!!!!
Money made will be donated to CHilderns Hospital here in fresno ca.
drift time 8am to 9:30pm
gates open at 6:30am tech starts at 7am.
3rd gear entry!! no roll cage required!!!!! Tandems Welcomed!
55preReg & 70 at the door!
Come support a cause!!!! what more can you ask for but all the seat time in the world!! OH ZIP TIE'S WELCOMED!
|06-09-2012, 10:10 PM||#14|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I had the ability to take the time off, I would of loved to come help out. I know I wouldn't pass tech with scca's guidelines, but I would be willing to come lend a hand to keep these events going.