Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
RpSinner
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
RpSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard to start, backfires flames and pops, rough idle

lately ive been having a hard time starting my car...like it will take a few cranks to get her going. also when driving it shoot flames and backfires like crazy.

i also notice that it only has a hard time starting if i let her sit for longer than 20-30 minutes or so. if i shut the motor off then immediatly try to start it again...she will fire right up.

at first i thought it might just be the o2 sensor cause it was shooting flames and running really rich but im starting to think it might be something else.

maybe injectors? if so do u know how i can test or check them?

thanks
RpSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Indolent
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Indolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Indolent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RpSinner
lately ive been having a hard time starting my car...like it will take a few cranks to get her going. also when driving it shoot flames and backfires like crazy.

i also notice that it only has a hard time starting if i let her sit for longer than 20-30 minutes or so. if i shut the motor off then immediatly try to start it again...she will fire right up.

at first i thought it might just be the o2 sensor cause it was shooting flames and running really rich but im starting to think it might be something else.

maybe injectors? if so do u know how i can test or check them?

thanks
i had both problems but not at the same time, the starting problem i had was it would take awhile to crank sort of, or it wouldn't crank at all, it was my starter, the thing would take awhile to like i ono make it spin or something liek that, but after sitting for awhile then it'll be fine
-probably the starter, check it

backfiring/shooting flames, how's the drive? does it feel normal? when i had that problem it was my injector, the orange tip broke off or wasn't there, so i leaked like crazy, gas was pouring out, car sounded like a wrx, lagged a lot, backfired a lot, POPPED like crazy, driving on the streets or freeway letting off the gas from 3k and dropping it would backfire then pop as loud as a gunshot (literally) and spit a big flame and light up the whole freeway with a white flash, is yours like that? oh yeah and then later on, sitting at a stop my car would have white smoke come out, but it was just a leaky injector thank goodness lol

since my car felt like it was running only on 3 cylinders..
the way i checked for injectors/spark/etc. for how my problem was, was to..
turn the car on, unplug each fuel injector on each, see which ones are working or not, since one of mine wasn't working, (#1), when i unplugged it the motor sounded the same, but was different for the rest, so it narrowed down to #1, then check to see if its spark, spark plugs, fuel injector or whatever

oh yeah to check injectors just uhh unbolt it and lift them up, turn the car on and see how they spray, thats how i checked the injectors, and taking them out the fuel rail and checking the o rings lol almost forgot about that
Indolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
PROJECTRB240SX
Zilvia Junkie

PROJECTRB240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds Like A Fuel Injector Leak... Maybe The O-rings Are Bad.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
RpSinner
Zilvia Member

RpSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolent
i had both problems but not at the same time, the starting problem i had was it would take awhile to crank sort of, or it wouldn't crank at all, it was my starter, the thing would take awhile to like i ono make it spin or something liek that, but after sitting for awhile then it'll be fine
-probably the starter, check it

backfiring/shooting flames, how's the drive? does it feel normal? when i had that problem it was my injector, the orange tip broke off or wasn't there, so i leaked like crazy, gas was pouring out, car sounded like a wrx, lagged a lot, backfired a lot, POPPED like crazy, driving on the streets or freeway letting off the gas from 3k and dropping it would backfire then pop as loud as a gunshot (literally) and spit a big flame and light up the whole freeway with a white flash, is yours like that? oh yeah and then later on, sitting at a stop my car would have white smoke come out, but it was just a leaky injector thank goodness lol

since my car felt like it was running only on 3 cylinders..
the way i checked for injectors/spark/etc. for how my problem was, was to..
turn the car on, unplug each fuel injector on each, see which ones are working or not, since one of mine wasn't working, (#1), when i unplugged it the motor sounded the same, but was different for the rest, so it narrowed down to #1, then check to see if its spark, spark plugs, fuel injector or whatever

oh yeah to check injectors just uhh unbolt it and lift them up, turn the car on and see how they spray, thats how i checked the injectors, and taking them out the fuel rail and checking the o rings lol almost forgot about that
thats exactly how my car is running. was it the whole injector that was the problem or maybe just O rings?

thanks for your help
RpSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Indolent
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Indolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura aboutIndolent has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Indolent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RpSinner
thats exactly how my car is running. was it the whole injector that was the problem or maybe just O rings?

thanks for your help
yeah, it was my injector, the orange plastic tip broke or it wasn't there, i guess it was the o ring keeping it from leaking then eventually wore out, i just replaced the injector with a complete injector with good o rings and with that orange plastic tip still there, worked fine after, whew!
Indolent is offline   Reply With Quote