Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
yodc
Zilvia Junkie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 714/hb
Age: 26
Posts: 338
Trader Rating: (23)
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
KA s14 ka sits lower than s13 ka?

So i put an s14 longblock in my s13 and now the the entire exhaust system is considerably lower than previously. Also the trans seems to drop a bit below the crossmember.

If someone could measure distance from say, pan to motor mount bracket threads on the block for each incarnation of the KA24de (S13&s14), or just one if thats all you have access to and some one else could get measurements for the other that would be great!

Also, if anyone KNOWS if the motor mount BRACKETS are chassis or block specific that may help me out, as i used the ones from the 13.

I did a bit of searching on the physical differences between the two and the information I found was incomplete. It did not matter but when using the 13 intake manifold on a 14 block there was an extra threading for an intake manifold stud. Also the egr solenoid/vacuum mounting plate from the 13 will not bolt up directly to the back of the 14 block. You can make it work, just not a direct fit.

Using the 13 accessories, distributor, and manifolds it was a rather simple swap. I just feel like the motor is sitting lower than before.

Thanks-
Cody
yodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
georgeasorous
Zilvia Member
 
georgeasorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: so cal.
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
it does! i have a 91' s13 i never had an issue with my exhaust scraping then i swapped in a 97' ka and now it scrapes every where!
__________________
http://zilvia.net/f/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82229&dateline=136013  6092
georgeasorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
zerodameaon
Premium Member
 
zerodameaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area CA, Sutherlin OR
Age: 26
Posts: 2,916
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you using a S13 or S14 manifold and downpipe? Because that will affect it quite a lot, otherwise the blocks are the same and sit in the same spot on both S13s I have put them in, no lower no higher.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
That's a one-way trip to understeer land...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
yodc
Zilvia Junkie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 714/hb
Age: 26
Posts: 338
Trader Rating: (23)
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I am using the 13 manifold and down pipe on the 14 block and head (and pan).

georgeasorous, I am experiencing the same issue you have. Did you use the 14 or 13 motor mount brackets(mount to block bracket)?

zerodameaon, When you swap 14 blocks into 13 chassis do you keep the motor mount brackets from the 13 chassis or use the one from the 14 block? Assuming the 13s you put 14 motors in are low enough to notice the potential difference, it seems like you are did something that georgeasorous and I did not.

Thanks for the input guys! I would love to get this bit of conflicting information straightened out as it is one of the few things I have not found an answer to by searching.
yodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Missouri City, TX
Age: 30
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: (2)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodc View Post
I am using the 13 manifold and down pipe on the 14 block and head (and pan).

georgeasorous, I am experiencing the same issue you have. Did you use the 14 or 13 motor mount brackets(mount to block bracket)?

zerodameaon, When you swap 14 blocks into 13 chassis do you keep the motor mount brackets from the 13 chassis or use the one from the 14 block? Assuming the 13s you put 14 motors in are low enough to notice the potential difference, it seems like you are did something that georgeasorous and I did not.

Thanks for the input guys! I would love to get this bit of conflicting information straightened out as it is one of the few things I have not found an answer to by searching.
Block mounting points are identical... use whichever mounts go with the chassis.. S13 mounts for S13, and S14 mounts for S14/15. the KA block mounting is the exact same from 89-98
__________________
:My VH-Vert Build:
http://chaluska.wordpress.com/
Chaluska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
yodc
Zilvia Junkie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 714/hb
Age: 26
Posts: 338
Trader Rating: (23)
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Alright,

Mount to block brackets are chassis specific. (I got that right)
Blocks have identical mounting points. (Can't screw this up)

Still, another member and I are experiencing a lower hanging exhaust than before the swap.

Given whats been covered is correct. (which it most likely is) Would a shorter head, or lower exhaust ports explain this? Seems unlikely to me though.

I will be measuring strut bar to valve cover clearance using the same strut bar on my 13 with the 14 ka and a friends 13 who still has the 13 ka. Hope to get this done by the weekend.

Any other 13 chassis with 14 motors run into this, or are George and I imagining things?
yodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
georgeasorous
Zilvia Member
 
georgeasorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: so cal.
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodc View Post
Alright,

Mount to block brackets are chassis specific. (I got that right)
Blocks have identical mounting points. (Can't screw this up)

Still, another member and I are experiencing a lower hanging exhaust than before the swap.

Given whats been covered is correct. (which it most likely is) Would a shorter head, or lower exhaust ports explain this? Seems unlikely to me though.

I will be measuring strut bar to valve cover clearance using the same strut bar on my 13 with the 14 ka and a friends 13 who still has the 13 ka. Hope to get this done by the weekend.

Any other 13 chassis with 14 motors run into this, or are George and I imagining things?
i am pretty positive the s14 ka sits slightly different than s13 ka cuz i swapped 3 ka into my s13 and the 2 s13 ka motors had no exhaust issues the s14 ka i started scraping
__________________
http://zilvia.net/f/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82229&dateline=136013  6092
georgeasorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict
 
sleepyS14se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Georgia
Age: 24
Posts: 871
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sounds to me like the s14 engine in the s13 would need s13 engine mounts (from my search it appears that s13 and 14 mounts are the same) and most importantly the manifold and downpipe from the s13 needs to be put on the s14 engine for correct clearance.

??
__________________
95 s14 SE with s13 sr20det blacktop
sleepyS14se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
georgeasorous
Zilvia Member
 
georgeasorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: so cal.
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
sounds to me like the s14 engine in the s13 would need s13 engine mounts (from my search it appears that s13 and 14 mounts are the same) and most importantly the manifold and downpipe from the s13 needs to be put on the s14 engine for correct clearance.

??
i swapped both manifolds and down pipe when i did the swaps
__________________
http://zilvia.net/f/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82229&dateline=136013  6092
georgeasorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict
 
sleepyS14se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Georgia
Age: 24
Posts: 871
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thats weird man....

i wonder what has made this happen! from my reading and viewing pics it seems as if the s14 and s13 ka24de are supposed to be exactly the same besides valve cover and a few minor things
__________________
95 s14 SE with s13 sr20det blacktop
sleepyS14se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
DennisC
Zilvia Junkie
 
DennisC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 386
Trader Rating: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Did you use your S13 rubber engine mounts?
__________________
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict
 
sleepyS14se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Georgia
Age: 24
Posts: 871
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ i am using s13 oem mounts in my s14, no issues
__________________
95 s14 SE with s13 sr20det blacktop
sleepyS14se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Rayne
Zilvia Junkie
 
Rayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 561
Trader Rating: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are the engine mounts new or old?
__________________
Do Need the FSM? click here
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright © 1998 - 2014, Zilvia.net™