Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Arrow Used Nismo 2 way LSD Maintance

Hey guys, so I searched around and I can't really seem to find a soild answer to my question.
I got a Nismo 2 way Clutch type LSD the other day off ebay for a great deal and before I put it in my car this week I want to do some maintance on it.
I'm trying to look up if there is anything I should do to it or look for before I install it.
Also I'm reading mixed reviews on what type of fluid to use.
So say on Nismo's Synthetic is ok, others say no way...
I already have Redline 80w140 that I was going to use for my VLSD and I'm wondering if that is ok to run during the breaking in period?
Then I've read that Motul 90pa was good for this but was it ok to run the redline prior?
and since it's a clutch type LSD should I scuff up the clutch plates prior to install to clean them up like on bike clutch maintance? or am I over thinking this?
I'm basically going to treat it like new since I don't know the history and the seller couldn't tell me anything either.
If someone has a link to a thread or can provide any help to these questions would be apriciated!

I think it's a Nismo SSS can someone confirm?
Here is a picture of the 2 way for refrence:





I can provide more pictures if needed.
EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Rustys14
Zilvia Member
 
Rustys14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Age: 23
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Haha, I bid on that same one. I stopped when it got over $250 though since I can get them from a local importer in the pumpkin for a little more but you still got a pretty good deal.

To answer your questions:
For fluid use any non synthetic 80w90 gear oil with Ford friction modifier. Synthetic oils cause a film to build up between the plates which reduces locking and causes premature wear. You can get the friction modifier from any ford dealer, I forgot the exact price but its pretty cheap. I personally use Lucas non synthetic performance gear oil in my 2-way differentials (O.S. Giken and Carbonetic) with the friction modifier and it works great. Some gear oils like Lucas claim to already contain the friction additive but you still need to add friction modifier to them. Also since your differential is used you do not need to break it in.
DO NOT take it apart and scuff up the plates, you are just asking to mess things up if don't know what they are doing and there is really no reason to.

Good luck with your diff! Those Nismo units are pretty nice so you should be happy with it.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Thanks for the response!
It's nice to get a direct answer!
I'll try that, but I still think I'm going to take it apart but basically to clean it, it has alot of dirt in it from just being left out and shipping. My guess that it has been left out of the diff for a while so I'm not sure whats inside of it or if there are any surprises waiting in there.
Too bad I can use the Redline.. kinda feel like i just waste some money on that fluid but I'm sure I can find a use for it.
Thanks again!
EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Moar Pork and Beer!!!
 
fliprayzin240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ass Crack of Hamptin Vagina
Posts: 17,924
Trader Rating: (19)
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I've run nothing but thicker 80w140 Royal Purple on my diff for the last 5 yrs now. Thicker oil also dampens the chatter noise.
__________________

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
cbcm2435
Premium Member
 
cbcm2435's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Age: 23
Posts: 334
Trader Rating: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
Haha, I bid on that same one. I stopped when it got over $250 though since I can get them from a local importer in the pumpkin for a little more but you still got a pretty good deal.

To answer your questions:
For fluid use any non synthetic 80w90 gear oil with Ford friction modifier. Synthetic oils cause a film to build up between the plates which reduces locking and causes premature wear. You can get the friction modifier from any ford dealer, I forgot the exact price but its pretty cheap. I personally use Lucas non synthetic performance gear oil in my 2-way differentials (O.S. Giken and Carbonetic) with the friction modifier and it works great. Some gear oils like Lucas claim to already contain the friction additive but you still need to add friction modifier to them. Also since your differential is used you do not need to break it in.
DO NOT take it apart and scuff up the plates, you are just asking to mess things up if don't know what they are doing and there is really no reason to.

Good luck with your diff! Those Nismo units are pretty nice so you should be happy with it.
thats not what friction modifier does at all, it actually allows the clutch disks to slip a little to prevent chattering and premature wear
cbcm2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
LOL! See this is what I mean!
2 conflicting answers!!!
I just need one solid answer for the Nismo unit only!
So maybe if you are runing a Nismo unit you can post what you are useing and results.

Maybe a Mod can start a poll or something...

So am I safe running the Redline 80w140?
EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Rustys14
Zilvia Member
 
Rustys14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Age: 23
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcm2435 View Post
thats not what friction modifier does at all, it actually allows the clutch disks to slip a little to prevent chattering and premature wear
I know what the friction modifier does. I was talking about synthetic gear oil causing excessive slipping which produces a lot of heat and speeds up wear. This is why most manufactures of clutch type differentials such as Kazz advise against it, in fact a lot of domestic manufactures that make these type of units for drag cars (Aubrn, Eaton, etc.) will not warranty a differential if synthetic oil has been used in it.

Although it does appear that I am wrong about the Nismo unit requiring a non synthetic oil (learn something new every day). In fact based on some quick research it seems that Nismo actually recommends a LOW FRICTION 75w140 synthetic oil to be ran in their diff. Here are some links related to your question.
Nismo 2way diff oil? Which oil type to use? Synthetic????

nismo 2 way lsd, what oil? - Hardtuned.net

I also found this on the Nismo jp website
NISMO | Notes on installing NISMO LSD

That link contains a bunch of info on your diff including what weight oil to use as well as a link to the rebuild kit if you wanted to completely rebuild the diff while its apart. Based on the information I found on the Nismo site I would say that Redline 80w140 should be fine to run in your particular diff.

That's probably way more information then you wanted but I'm board and this helped me procrastinate on finishing my term paper lol.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
derass
Zilvia Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 26
Posts: 239
Trader Rating: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nismo LSD oil is 75w140 synthetic.

I have a KAAZ and use a combination of cheap GL-5 non-synthetic (Castrol Hypoid C 80w90) with ford friction modifier. KAAZ specifies to use NON-Synthetic oil because of additional slipping of the clutches, so I guess each manufacturer has their own theories.

Like mentioned above, its a used diff, so dont worry about break in. Just be sure to change the oil every 2-3 events or with every engine oil change when steet driving. If your concered about doing maintanece, you should look into getting new clutch plates.
derass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Nismo LSD oil is 75w140 synthetic.

I have a KAAZ and use a combination of cheap GL-5 non-synthetic (Castrol Hypoid C 80w90) with ford friction modifier. KAAZ specifies to use NON-Synthetic oil because of additional slipping of the clutches, so I guess each manufacturer has their own theories.

Like mentioned above, its a used diff, so dont worry about break in. Just be sure to change the oil every 2-3 events or with every engine oil change when steet driving. If your concered about doing maintanece, you should look into getting new clutch plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
I know what the friction modifier does. I was talking about synthetic gear oil causing excessive slipping which produces a lot of heat and speeds up wear. This is why most manufactures of clutch type differentials such as Kazz advise against it, in fact a lot of domestic manufactures that make these type of units for drag cars (Aubrn, Eaton, etc.) will not warranty a differential if synthetic oil has been used in it.

Although it does appear that I am wrong about the Nismo unit requiring a non synthetic oil (learn something new every day). In fact based on some quick research it seems that Nismo actually recommends a LOW FRICTION 75w140 synthetic oil to be ran in their diff. Here are some links related to your question.
Nismo 2way diff oil? Which oil type to use? Synthetic????

nismo 2 way lsd, what oil? - Hardtuned.net

I also found this on the Nismo jp website
NISMO | Notes on installing NISMO LSD

That link contains a bunch of info on your diff including what weight oil to use as well as a link to the rebuild kit if you wanted to completely rebuild the diff while its apart. Based on the information I found on the Nismo site I would say that Redline 80w140 should be fine to run in your particular diff.

That's probably way more information then you wanted but I'm board and this helped me procrastinate on finishing my term paper lol.

Thanks guys!
Thats the exact answer I looking for complete with the link to Nissan!
I'll try to remember to take some pictures and maybe to a little DIY when I take it apart.
I'm going to try to see what type of condition the inside are because going over this diff it looks new, just dirty.
We'll see after the inspection.

So bottom line from all this info:

Nismo: Synthetic Ok!

KAAZ, Cusco, Tomei : Synthectic Not Ok... HAHA!

Hope this info helps someone...
EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Rustys14
Zilvia Member
 
Rustys14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Age: 23
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No problem man! Based on what I read, this is a question that comes up quite a bit and never really receives a complete answer. Hopefully this thread will come up when people search this topic from now on.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: earth
Age: 30
Posts: 1,408
Trader Rating: (2)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
get a better picture of the lobe/cam inside just to confirm its a 2way..

I rebuilt my nismo 2way in the gtr because it was completely warn out. It was fairly cheap, about 200 dollars for the rebuild kit.
I'll get you the nismo part number for the kit i used after work. bought it from "RHD japan"

Currently using redline shockproof heavy. No problems at all, locks up like an animal
__________________
Chrischeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Sure here you go



A link to the kit would help, not just me but for future refrence!
Thanks!
EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: earth
Age: 30
Posts: 1,408
Trader Rating: (2)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yup.. nismo 2way

Nismo R200 Mechanical LSD Disc Kit RS521

thats the rebuild kit I used, double check if it work on yours
after the rebuild it sounded like someone was smashing the diff with a hammer for the first 10 miles after the rebuild.. then it started to quiet down.. now its perfectly silent.
__________________
Chrischeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
thefro526
Premium Member
 
thefro526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,812
Trader Rating: (8)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrischeezer View Post
yup.. nismo 2way

Nismo R200 Mechanical LSD Disc Kit RS521

thats the rebuild kit I used, double check if it work on yours
after the rebuild it sounded like someone was smashing the diff with a hammer for the first 10 miles after the rebuild.. then it started to quiet down.. now its perfectly silent.
I have a nismo (think it's a 2way based on the cam shape) in my S14 and have been considering rebuilding it for a while.

How hard is doing the rebuild? Just one of those take it apart, remove old parts, reassemble with new parts affairs?
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Rustys14
Zilvia Member
 
Rustys14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Age: 23
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Since this thread is starting to contain a lot of good information I went ahead and pulled the part numbers for the LSD overhaul kits off FAST. Both of these are from the jdm FAST btw. Some dealers like Nissan of Chesapeake, Fontana Nissan and Courtesy Nissan have access to the jdm FAST and may be able to order these for you if you provide the part number. It may be a good alternative to ordering from an importer with high markup like rhd japan.

Nismo SSS (discontinued)- 3843S-RS205
Nismo GT- 3843S-RSZ30
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
EvilRB
Premium Member
 
EvilRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: (18)
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Great Info Guys Thanks!
I'm glad i made this thread!
You guys have been a great help!

And as far as the rebuild of this LSD there was a thread I found that someone did a rebuild on one of these and it was pretty straight forward, basically you just take it apart like a VLSD , alittle more complicated but pretty straight forward.
I'll try to find the thread when I get back home, if someone else has info on this please post it, lets try to fill this thread with as much correct information as possible on this LSD!

Here is some info from another post I found on Zilvia regarding the different types of Nismo LSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
Saddly when people read Nismo they think of the cheap ass $400 2 way that everyone on earth has back in 2002... however there are several Nismo LSDs.

Cheap ass old $400 Nismo (R200) that can't be re-built because, well its cheep outdated shit... cast body.
However they sell a new version for $900+ hahaha... semi cast body


Nismo SSS - changed the game of LSDs, great and IIRC Nismo still supports the rebuilds... semi cast body.

Nismo GT/ GT Pro/ GT Pro TT - yeah... This diff kills everything available. Basic GT is great, GT Pro has adjustable ingaugement and adjustable 1.5-2 way/ and the TT is specifically designed for Track/ Time Attack.
Fully Polished Body.


And its avalable in Carbon...


Kaaz - has always been great and always refining their work, but if your wanting the best and your going to spend over $1k.. get the Nismo GT/ Pro/ TT.

EvilRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright © 1998 - 2014, Zilvia.net™