Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
motteramm
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
motteramm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EMUSA Coilovers Review (Ebay Stuff)

Been meaning to do this writeup for the past year due to all the talk about ebay trash and whatnot so here it goes.

Please don't flame. Trying to do this write up to have REAL info on ebay stuff
To each their own..

June 18, 2011 I purchased a set of EMUSA non adjustable Coilovers for my S13 coupe. (Birthday Present to myself ) I payed $450.00 flat shipped to my door for these suckers. My plan was to use them as through aways and to run them till they blew and buy a set of Stance. I received them in the mail about 5 days later and went for the install. They were a breeze to install, no problems whatsoever. Before install i preloaded the springs and after install i did height adjustment. It is very possible to slam your car with these. Maxed out you will still have about a 1'' drop. I have mine set to about 2. 3/4'' drop or so. Ok. now for the info people care about. I have been riding on these for a year now over all sorts of roads good and bad. The ride quality is OK.. nowhere near Stance or TIEN but on par with Megan racing streets. I actually have several people that have driven my car think they were Megans. As like all coils they are stiff but not bouncy like springs which suprised me being the spring rate is 8kg front 6kg back. I have had absolutly no problems with these coils and dont expect to in the future. As of now i have 37,000 miles on them and they still work great for daily and LIGHT track use. I would completely understand wanting to go name brand on something like coils but if your on a budget i would not hesitate to tell a friend to pick up a set.

Thats my info do with it what you will. Im not saying buy everything on ebay, just giving my experience with what I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-02_12-00-38_557.jpg (509.3 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-02_11-18-42_89.jpg (454.6 KB, 922 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-02_13-00-25_949.jpg (478.3 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-06_15-32-07_502.jpg (457.9 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-15_09-57-28_666.jpg (533.4 KB, 886 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Now 450. Thats better for ebay lol

Cheaper then k sports

But still gay, wait for the flaming
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
motteramm
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Now 450. Thats better for ebay lol

Cheaper then k sports

But still gay, wait for the flaming
I expect loads of flaming for this but i have yet to find a REAL rightup on ebay coils so i wanted to get some actuall first hand info out there.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
nu_born
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
nu_born will become famous soon enoughnu_born will become famous soon enoughnu_born will become famous soon enoughnu_born will become famous soon enoughnu_born will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That's a bold move though...it doesn't seem like a lot of people are willing to take that chance with small time manufacturers like this anymore, but I imagine someone had to at some point for companies like Tein and Cusco to get to where they are. Not saying that Emusa will accomplish that level of prestige nor am I saying they won't, but I personally remember when friends of mine would mention Ksport and Megan Racing coilovers and others (myself included) would go "K who? Megan what?".

Shit you used to be able to get a set of KSports brand new for $600, now you won't find them for less than $8-900 and they make all sorts of coilover setups that are even more expensive than that now. And all it took was a few people to try'em out, write reviews like this, and get the word out that they really were a pretty damn good product for the money.
nu_born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
They are made in the same place as megan, apexi, greddy, and some others coilovers. Just less features. They are interchangable with megan dampners and springs.

We have sold tons of these locally. Everyone seemes to love them just as a cheap decent way to lower a car if its not going to be tracked. We have an account with emusa and we dont sell stuff on ebay. Just because emusa has an ebay store dont mean ebay is all they do. Andy has been to emusa in indiana. He said they had a nice big shop/wearhouse and dyno on site. People dont give them enough credit because yhey sell tawanise coilovers that they didnt design, just like apexi and everyone else.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had these exact same coils on my car.. I think your definition of "slammed" and zilvia's definition are different. I had like a half inch of preload, one collar removed from each coil in the front, and my rears drooped like an inch and a half to get the ride height where I wanted it. Also the right rear blew at my first track day. And the coil's OD is so large that they rubbed my tires. Now I have PBM and none of the issues mentioned before..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's why they blew, you removed all that shit so you can look cool for zilvia and the "I slam my cars" teeny boppers, not everyone wants to slam their cars so low that you high center on a damn ant....dumb ass.
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Megan offers shocks that will fit them, megans, apexi ect that have a different range of stroke that is geared towards lower cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
motteramm
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkin_707 View Post
That's why they blew, you removed all that shit so you can look cool for zilvia and the "I slam my cars" teeny boppers, not everyone wants to slam their cars so low that you high center on a damn ant....dumb ass.
exactly...
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
itwillboost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
itwillboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not bad for 450. I have an emusa wastegate and it works perfectly for me.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
SlowMotion

SlowMotion is an unknown quantity at this point
I am aware that this isn't a fresh thread but i would like to say thank you for an honest review of cheap parts. lol A few years ago, I only bought the most expensive parts I could find assuming they were the best but now, thanks to a lower paying job, I have grown to realise that price doesn't mean crap! I now find humor in outrunning, out drifting, or just outdriving people with budget parts. That's similar to the way I got into "tuners", doing more with less. I have been debating on a set of those $450 coilovers and now that I hear they are not junk, that's what I want. If I have to buy another set it 2 years, big deal! 2 sets in 4 years is still cheaper than most coilovers! Sorry to ramble but thought I would put my $0.02 in.
SlowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Coilovers like these are only good for rolling around. You know, like when you need to get your car painted so you roll it onto a trailer to take it to the paint shop. But then again so are blown factory struts.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

These really are better than to do that. Even with my good words for them after being in a few cars with them i would not want them for competing as the shocks are valved different and my be a little different inside, however they are a much better ride than any megan streets that i have ridden on. These are good to get the car lower with a decent ride. The shocks megan sells with different lengths and valving can be used with them too as well as their springs or anything if you want to customize them or not have to throw them away just because one blows.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Banker

Banker is an unknown quantity at this point
got these on my s14, they were worth the risk. I would recommend these for daily driving or some light track.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Yeah I ordered a set of these about a month or so ago for my s13 coupe. I wouldn't say they allow you to slam your car because honestly I want to go lower and I really can't. They ride nice though, and they are very simple to install. If money is tight, EMUSA coilovers work just fine.
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #16
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Coilovers like these are only good for rolling around. You know, like when you need to get your car painted so you roll it onto a trailer to take it to the paint shop. But then again so are blown factory struts.
That exactly.

OP> this is as much a review as a butt dyno session is representative of a car horsepower. Now dont get me wrong, this is not against you specifically, but if someone pretends to be doing a review, he/she has to make some tests, with repeatable test protocols and results.

In that aspect, your text is not a review, at best it is a description.

If you want to make a review of a spring and damper system, you need to make a spring test and a damper test. Not a "how low can they go" test. A review is about function.

Now, here is mine :

The springs are sh*t and so are the dampers. Springs are nowhere near linear ( trust me, you want linear springs to have a predictable, easy to use car), damping to rebound ratio is terrible, adjustments make too much cross bias, and any damping dyno session will show how miserable the valving is.

They suck badly, and this is exactly what to expect from a 450$ coilover set.

Sure, for driving around in a lowered car they can be enough, as these cars already have ruined handling. cant really ruin them more when roll center is 5 meters underground, and suspension is set rock hard to prevent any suspension movement that could throw the car out of the road.

But the primary function of suspension is to make the car handle, and not make the car go lower.

It comes down to this:
if you are in for form over function, they have a good money/look ratio.

If you favor function, or track you car, or drive it hard ... dont bother. The same goes for megan entry level coilovers (or teins, or any entry level coilover for that matters, tein street coilovers are terrible and only serve form)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Function guy
What is a good set of coils?
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
What is a good set of coils?
A good set of suspension allows your car to handle well when they fit your application,which is something most sub 2000$ coils dont do. The form of your message highly suggests you are trolling, but i will answer anyway.

Of course, when your application is "crawling around trying not to scratch the underneath too much", any coil will do.

But if your application requires the car to actually handle, then i'd say:

-coils not sold without damping / rebound dynoed, and the dyno sheet available for the customer.

-Constant spring rates (these are surprisingly not expensive though, you can get 4 custom made to your liking/ application for around 400$)

-separate adjustability for slow / fast | damping / rebound

They are not likely to be under the 2000$ price tag though.

If you want "cheap" quality suspension, better get standard struts with koni/kw dampers and custom made springs. I believe these are going to be in the 1500$ price tag. But that is already 3 times the cost of cheap coilovers, and that does not give ride height adjustability, so no wonder these sells.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
claytoncallihan

claytoncallihan is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought ISIS coilovers which were only 650 bucks and they arent a well used brand and theyre seriously awesome so far. of course the higher up you go the better, but some of these not so highly used brands can surprise people. the reviews on mine are amazing everywhere.
claytoncallihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
A good set of suspension allows your car to handle well when they fit your application,which is something most sub 2000$ coils dont do. The form of your message highly suggests you are trolling, but i will answer anyway.

Of course, when your application is "crawling around trying not to scratch the underneath too much", any coil will do.

But if your application requires the car to actually handle, then i'd say:

-coils not sold without damping / rebound dynoed, and the dyno sheet available for the customer.

-Constant spring rates (these are surprisingly not expensive though, you can get 4 custom made to your liking/ application for around 400$)

-separate adjustability for slow / fast | damping / rebound

They are not likely to be under the 2000$ price tag though.

If you want "cheap" quality suspension, better get standard struts with koni/kw dampers and custom made springs. I believe these are going to be in the 1500$ price tag. But that is already 3 times the cost of cheap coilovers, and that does not give ride height adjustability, so no wonder these sells.
So my $2,000 coilovers are junk?
I need to get $5,000 coilovers?

For what? 90% of this website daily drive their cars so I think it is unnecessary to buy any coilovers for more than $2,000, you're talking about full racing suspension that no one on here are going to use, these are street cars with the occasional track runs, not full competition F1 racing cars or nascar.

There is a major difference with coilovers you're talking about and the ones we are talking about, it's like comparing our S13 and S14 to an alcohol powered drag car, yeah the drag car is faster but you're not spending $100,000 on one to drive it on the street because it's better.
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I agree with Croustibat to an extent, I get real uptight when people start making review threads without comparisons or bring forth experiences using another brand. That's like trying out a Wii only and saying it's the best without trying other game consoles.

But where we differ is this. Along with the basis of what a review is/does for a community which is to provide a performance outlook on a certain product, there are more things that people look for when purchasing coils. People want to know how low a certain brand goes because of the current trend. If having your car stupid low wasn't a thing, we'd all stick with a single spring height adjustment for each side and worry about how they feel on the street. And for most people on the hunt for coilovers, ride quality and track performance goes out door.

I agree there should be tests for these dampers/springs. And for the money, there ARE coilovers that are functional for sub-$2000 that do perform tests. PBM and Fortune Auto are examples.

So are most sub 2,000 coilovers junk? Yes. Are there some that aren't? You betcha. Are those non-sucky sub-$2000 coilovers better than the higher end brands? No.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
That exactly.

OP> this is as much a review as a butt dyno session is representative of a car horsepower. Now dont get me wrong, this is not against you specifically, but if someone pretends to be doing a review, he/she has to make some tests, with repeatable test protocols and results.

In that aspect, your text is not a review, at best it is a description.

If you want to make a review of a spring and damper system, you need to make a spring test and a damper test. Not a "how low can they go" test. A review is about function.

Now, here is mine :

The springs are sh*t and so are the dampers. Springs are nowhere near linear ( trust me, you want linear springs to have a predictable, easy to use car), damping to rebound ratio is terrible, adjustments make too much cross bias, and any damping dyno session will show how miserable the valving is.

They suck badly, and this is exactly what to expect from a 450$ coilover set.

Sure, for driving around in a lowered car they can be enough, as these cars already have ruined handling. cant really ruin them more when roll center is 5 meters underground, and suspension is set rock hard to prevent any suspension movement that could throw the car out of the road.

But the primary function of suspension is to make the car handle, and not make the car go lower.

It comes down to this:
if you are in for form over function, they have a good money/look ratio.

If you favor function, or track you car, or drive it hard ... dont bother. The same goes for megan entry level coilovers (or teins, or any entry level coilover for that matters, tein street coilovers are terrible and only serve form)

I am severly confused on your approach towards the OP and his review of, from what it sounds like, a decent set of coilovers.

Firstly ill help you out with the first thing you confused me with. Your definition of the word review...

re·view/riˈvyo͞o/
Noun:
A formal assessment or examination of something.
Verb:
Examine or assess (something) with the possibility or intention of instituting change if necessary.
Synonyms:
noun. inspection - survey - parade - magazine - revision
verb. revise - examine - inspect - reconsider

The OP did all of this and more. Although his words were colorful, the meaning was pretty clear. The coilovers in question are good for the price. Not the best, but for 450 bucks and a years worth of time on the road, they seem to be decent.

Secondly, you were pretty quick to talk shit about these coilovers, yet against your own words, failed to provide any test much less any review or opinion, or even personal experience regarding this set. Against what the OP posted, you gave little reason to even listen to your words. It just felt like a lazy rant about something you had yet to experience or own...

All in all, im not here to bash you or the OP but to at least say. Give these some credit where its due. You have no experience with these so far and the op has a years worth. There is even a rep in this thread with multiple experiences....The op was cautious enough to even say that these weren't his first choice but more of a test so why waste your time ranting like you were.

All in all, thanks OP for your personal review.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
So...like I've seen on several threads across the internet. You're saying stay stock unless you are looking to buy koni/kw dampers and custom made springs? One more thing for those that aren't looking to slam their car, would the same junk coils perform any better now that ride quality isn't compremised? Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
So are most sub 2,000 coilovers junk? Yes. Are there some that aren't? You betcha. Are those non-sucky sub-$2000 coilovers better than the higher end brands? No.
Confucius? List brands please, your statement is a bucket of water.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
Confucius? List brands please, your statement is a bucket of water.
I already have.

The only two worth the money that are sub-$2,000: PBM and Fortunes. And if you can dish out money for springs, go with Swifts for these two. Best street and track application for under 2,000 dollars.

I have driven on both for daily applications. The FA's I have driven on the track and the valving is superior to other brands that I have tried like Stance GR+'s, Megan Tracks, Tein Basics/FLEXES, etc.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Roger roger

I have Stance GR+PRO w/SSD ($1495 at the time) and I find them to be great...

So should I look into buying PBM coils currently $1350?

? plays into what I asked Croustibat. If you don't slam junk coils, will they perform? thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #26
S13Vinny
Leaky Injector

S13Vinny is an unknown quantity at this point
it all comes down to why you have the car... i dont need to rb swap my car i drive to work and school and the same goes for my springs im not gonna spend $4000 to go drifting maybe once or twice a month... its all about how into it you are
S13Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

I already explained and i wont go deeper as many of you fail to understand what a suspension is supposed to do, or just dont want to hear about it.

If you just want to get as low as possible, YES THEY ARE GOOD.

If on the other hand you want your car to handle, then they are utter crap.

Again, I already wrote that.

Now, this "review" only gives height adjustment info, and nothing else besides feeling, which is worth nothing if it is not backed up with some strong facts.

It is as much as a review as a teenager reviews snacks by eating them and saying "hey ! They are cheap and i am not hungry, so they are great". Want to review food ? Get its fat and sugar %age for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytoncallihan View Post
i bought ISIS coilovers
Actually no, you bought taiwanese blank brand stuff. Your stuff is the same as many other people, like bc-racing, emusa, megan racing, godspeed and all of these crappy ebay sellers.

Create a car business, you can make sure these builders will email you the possibility to get your "own brand coilovers/suspension arms/turbos/whatever" in the next days.

Being satisfied with them ? Good for you ! It does not mean they are good, just that your expectations are low.

Product quality is something absolute. Product satisfaction is relative. Unfortunately, a review is supposed to be about product quality, and not satisfaction.

Kingbaby > i know what you are doing and i wont bother answering.

You are currently trying to troll following "the little trolling handbook" to the letter, when i have actually written it. I know the tricks, it ends here.

How about having that argument on NRR forums ? I am quite sure this could be fun. Unlike most zilvians, people there care about the handling of their cars (see ? i can do it too )
Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
How about having that argument on NRR forums ? I am quite sure this could be fun. Unlike most zilvians, people there care about the handling of their cars (see ? i can do it too )
The first rule of fight club...is not to talk about fight club.

Let us sit over there in peace It's nice not having to worry about trolls or moron's over there.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Kingbaby > i know what you are doing and i wont bother answering.

You are currently trying to troll following "the little trolling handbook" to the letter, when i have actually written it. I know the tricks, it ends here.

Hey! I'm sadden that you think of me this way...

see you in a bit...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OP are the coils blown now?
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote