|10-11-2011, 03:52 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Covina, CA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Write-Up: Adjusting the Valve Lash on a '03 350Z
What's going on guys,
Adjusting the valve lash on your engine is one of the most pivotal maintenance procedures that you can perform. It's a good idea to periodically inspect the valve clearance and make necessary adjustments in order to maintain the healthy operation of your engine
With that said, here is the guide to adjusting the valve lash (clearance) on a 350Z. Note that this procedure will most likely also apply to any other vehicle equipped with the VQ35DE engine:
1) Adjust the valve clearance while engine is cold by removing the adjusting shim. The adjusting shim can be removed by using the following procedures:
Note: Compressed air can be blown into the hole of the lifter to separate the adjusting shim from the lifter.
2) Determine the replacement adjusting shim size by using the following procedures and formula:
3) Shims are available in 64 sizes from 0.0913–0.1161 in. (2.32–2.95mm) in steps of 0.004 in. (0.01mm). The thickness is stamped on the shim; this side is always installed facing down. Select new shims with thickness as close as possible to calculated valve and install it in the lifter.
4) Install the new shim onto the lifter.
5) Depress the lifter and remove the keeper tool. Remove the depressor tool and recheck the valve clearance. Repeat this procedure for any other valves requiring adjustment.
6) When all valve adjustments are finished, install the cylinder head cover, spark plugs and the intake manifold collector.
*diagram courtesy of nissanpartszone.com; all rights reserved