Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati OH
Age: 37
Posts: 1,033
Trader Rating: (9)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Shifter bushing - anyone use this?

Mods, I know this is an ebay link but I'm not at all affiliated with the seller; just curious about the product.

eBay Motors: CUSCO S13 S14 Collar - Shifter Lever NISMO NISSAN (item 120358497943 end time Feb-02-09 14:06:46 PST)

Metal (looks like copper) shifter bushing. I'm wondering if it would fit a B&M shifter, how it feels, and whether it would increase wear on anything. Also wondering if it's removable once it's installed, if you wanted to move it to another shift lever.

TIA.
__________________
E36 M3 - new project
1990 240SR - screamed down the road
Rittmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!
 
projectRDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Age: 40
Posts: 13,862
Trader Rating: (12)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Works fine. Tanabe makes an aluminum one, same effect. You're basically reducing the play and possible wear of the plastic bushing. Fits all shifters but since it's metal it doesn't 'snap' on, it just sits in the lever and the shifter fits into it.
__________________
FORMERLY R240NA

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
MrChow
blarg blarg honk
 
MrChow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Monterey Bay, CA (831 area)
Age: 29
Posts: 2,098
Trader Rating: (14)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Hmm.. I've never seen this thing. Interesting I've meaning to fix my shifter play. RDM so say I get this would it be good to get the bushing to replace my old one or just use this one??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquidd View Post
Are you the guys that buy your KSports and just turn the dampening knob to 32?
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ
Age: 27
Posts: 1,134
Trader Rating: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
What most people don't realize is the slop isn't always caused by that bushing. It is the springs in the transmission that wear out the most. Move your shifter while in neutral to the left, and then to the right. Going to the right is tight.. Left is loose.. the springs need replacement. Buy a $2 bushing from nissan that will sit tight just like your stock one still does, and purchase the HKS shifter spring kit. Or replace shift springs with OEM springs for dirt.


-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
BustedS13
Post Whore!
 
BustedS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: STL
Age: 30
Posts: 10,293
Trader Rating: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
What most people don't realize is the slop isn't always caused by that bushing. It is the springs in the transmission that wear out the most. Move your shifter while in neutral to the left, and then to the right. Going to the right is tight.. Left is loose.. the springs need replacement. Buy a $2 bushing from nissan that will sit tight just like your stock one still does, and purchase the HKS shifter spring kit. Or replace shift springs with OEM springs for dirt.


-Bart
care to elaborate or point to a FAQ? that doesn't sound particularly easy
__________________
BustedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Def
Post Whore!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,513
Trader Rating: (14)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
care to elaborate or point to a FAQ? that doesn't sound particularly easy
There are two plugs on each side of the transmission around the shifter area. Just unbolt them and change the springs out. Isn't hard.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
MrChow
blarg blarg honk
 
MrChow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Monterey Bay, CA (831 area)
Age: 29
Posts: 2,098
Trader Rating: (14)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow


From Frsport user install for HKS return spring kit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquidd View Post
Are you the guys that buy your KSports and just turn the dampening knob to 32?
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
soreballz
Post Whore!
 
soreballz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spook City, USA
Age: 29
Posts: 5,397
Trader Rating: (22)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
You can also double up on the OEM springs to make it stiffer, or perhaps pull one spring out, take it to a hobby shop that sells RC car parts, and find an RC car spring of similar size that is stiffer.

Easy shit.
__________________
-Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bay area
Posts: 561
Trader Rating: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long are the springs? Doesnt look too long and i assume you can replace the springs while tranny is still on car?
__________________
Drunk posting FTW!
zugoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Brian
Post Whore!
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 12,811
Trader Rating: (54)
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I have the Cusco bushing too.
Works fine.
__________________
http://bhworld.wordpress.com/
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
soreballz
Post Whore!
 
soreballz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spook City, USA
Age: 29
Posts: 5,397
Trader Rating: (22)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugoi View Post
How long are the springs? Doesnt look too long and i assume you can replace the springs while tranny is still on car?
Not sure exactly how long they are, but yes, you can replace them with the tranny mounted on the car.
__________________
-Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Propaganda
Premium Member
 
Propaganda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Aiea, HI
Age: 27
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: (10)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
What most people don't realize is the slop isn't always caused by that bushing. It is the springs in the transmission that wear out the most. Move your shifter while in neutral to the left, and then to the right. Going to the right is tight.. Left is loose.. the springs need replacement. Buy a $2 bushing from nissan that will sit tight just like your stock one still does, and purchase the HKS shifter spring kit. Or replace shift springs with OEM springs for dirt.


-Bart
Really? I have a B&M shifter with a shifter collar and it has almost no play. It feels sex. Although mine's made of delrin, it's the same sort of stuff. When I first installed my B&M, to me, it felt like the same as stock except shorter throws. When I put in my collar, it felt as tight as everybody said..
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!
 
projectRDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Age: 40
Posts: 13,862
Trader Rating: (12)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
Hmm.. I've never seen this thing. Interesting I've meaning to fix my shifter play. RDM so say I get this would it be good to get the bushing to replace my old one or just use this one??
There's only one bushing. Either you replace with the OE plastic or use an aftermarket metal one.
__________________
FORMERLY R240NA

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Propaganda
Premium Member
 
Propaganda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Aiea, HI
Age: 27
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: (10)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
There's only one bushing. Either you replace with the OE plastic or use an aftermarket metal one.
Actually, there are two.. the shifter collar and the one I have in mine circled in red



The stock one is a flimsy paper-thin circle of metal. The one I have is 2mm thick. Although if you have a B&M shifter, it eliminates this part
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
racepar1
I hate your "missile"
 
racepar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 8,165
Trader Rating: (91)
Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
Actually, there are two.. the shifter collar and the one I have in mine circled in red



The stock one is a flimsy paper-thin circle of metal. The one I have is 2mm thick. Although if you have a B&M shifter, it eliminates this part
That's NOT a bushing, that's a spring washer to hold tension on the upper pivot bushing. Oftentimes that can also cause slop in the shifter if it is worn/missing.
__________________
Punctuation is the difference between "Helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse." and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"...



WTB: CLEAN, red, zenki S13 (pignose) driver's front fender
racepar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Propaganda
Premium Member
 
Propaganda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Aiea, HI
Age: 27
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: (10)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well.. whatever it is, it causes slop. Thanks for the headsup!
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Ilya
Zilvia Member
 
Ilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Age: 24
Posts: 281
Trader Rating: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any information on how to replace the oem shifter bushing? does the n w one just snap on or are there any tricks to this?
Ilya is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright © 1998 - 2014, Zilvia.net™