Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Devil's Savior

Trader Rating: (0)
Devil's Savior is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Rear End Questions

I am doing a very unique build, and would like to know what the best differential and rear axel set-up would be to handle 500+ hp to the rear wheels on a S13 240sx? This is my first time owning a 240sx, and figure you guys would know best. I want to use the car for drifting, in case that changes things.
Devil's Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
FourtyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Not sure about axles, but you're going to want an LSD. You could get one a J30 LSD or if you have the money, you could buy a Kaaz, which would be perfect.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a Weir spool. I think they're about $400.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Devil's Savior

Awesome, will see what happens money wise when I go to get one. Is there going to be no difference with axels? I ask, because I currently have no rear axels. I have the stock S13 rear differential, and have a '90 Q45 rear differential and axels coming. Bought them under the advice of a friend who used to be a huge Nissan tuner. Want to make sure I made a good decision buying it, before install. This way I dont waste time if a bad choice and I can sell, then get the proper stuff.

Last edited by Devil's Savior; 02-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Factory R200's are pretty robust as is. You can stay with that diff and keep things relatively simple. If you need more, the R230 is even stronger.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
q45 rear diff i believe is the j30 mentioned above pretty nice diff but stock r200s hold power well there's z cars that can do wheelies with stock 240sx diffs never broke one or came close to
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
ericm9104

ericm9104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spool and upgraded axles.
ericm9104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Devil's Savior

Ok, yeah very new to this, so gonna have to break down the wordage, if you know what I mean. spool and upgraded axels? What is the R200 and R230, is that the axel type? It is nice to have the common name for these things, but I need to know what they are specifically, as I have no idea what it means. Hell I couldnt even tell you the name of the stock transmissions that came with the car. I just learned what type of motors came in the car (car had no engine when I bought mine)....
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Savior View Post
Ok, yeah very new to this, so gonna have to break down the wordage, if you know what I mean. spool and upgraded axels? What is the R200 and R230, is that the axel type? It is nice to have the common name for these things, but I need to know what they are specifically, as I have no idea what it means. Hell I couldnt even tell you the name of the stock transmissions that came with the car. I just learned what type of motors came in the car (car had no engine when I bought mine)....
I'll translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm9104 View Post
Spool and upgraded axles.
translates into:

"i have a diesel honda civic but i added a "typeR" sticker on it, and i believe everything ricers say, plus anything that is applicable to my honda civic is applicable to all cars in the world".

You wont have trouble with differential or shafts with 500+ HP, not for drifting anyway. The gearbox wont like 500+ HP & clutch kicks though. R200 is the oem diff and casing . R230 is another, stronger one.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Devil's Savior

I have no worry about transmission or motor, as what I have planned for this car is going to shock everyone! The tranny will be from the car that I pull the motor from. I just need to know about the rear end, specifically the axels and differential, as that is what needs to be able to handle the stock 500hp, 525tq to the rear wheel. Those figures are what the stock motor puts out to the wheels of the car I will be taking the stuff from... I am looking for basically a good differential outward, as I sold all of the stock components, even the knuckles and hub assembly. I am currently looking for knuckles and hub assembly that has already been converted to the 5 lugs, for a decent price. I will need massive brakes for this monster!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Devil's Savior

That is really funny though!!! Hahaha! Thank you for the translation!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I dont think anything you could put into an s-chassis would shock me. I've seen everything from forklift motors to a cummins in one, but good luck cramming a V10 in there. It won't be easy...
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there's been a v12 in a s13 before alot of work though
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
yup. BMW V12 has been in.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Devil's Savior

I havent see or heard of the BMW V-12 in the car before. Will have to look for pics of it
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
but good luck cramming a V10 in there. It won't be easy...
Which is why I like that build thread where a guy is cramming a Viper engine in there
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Which is why I like that build thread where a guy is cramming a Viper engine in there
Has someone already done it?

Honestly, an LSx motor with bolt-ons and nitrous will get you over 500+whp. Not sure why you would even attempt a V10 unless all you cared about was originality.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Savior View Post
I have no worry about transmission or motor, as what I have planned for this car is going to shock everyone! The tranny will be from the car that I pull the motor from. I just need to know about the rear end, specifically the axels and differential, as that is what needs to be able to handle the stock 500hp, 525tq to the rear wheel. Those figures are what the stock motor puts out to the wheels of the car I will be taking the stuff from... I am looking for basically a good differential outward, as I sold all of the stock components, even the knuckles and hub assembly. I am currently looking for knuckles and hub assembly that has already been converted to the 5 lugs, for a decent price. I will need massive brakes for this monster!
you didnt need to sell all of that but
any R200 diff 5 or 6 bolt with
j30 or Q45/z32 axles will do
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you scared to post up what kind of engine you are going to put in there or what?

not like anyone will be sitting on the edge of their seat begging and waiting for a clue.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Has someone already done it?
Someone is Europe did it on an S15

This guy started before but hasn't finished and is doing it on an S14.
Starts with a story about a hit and run
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Devil's Savior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
you scared to post up what kind of engine you are going to put in there or what?

not like anyone will be sitting on the edge of their seat begging and waiting for a clue.
To be honest I didn't want to put out what I was doing engine/tranny wise, as there are people with much deeper pockets than I, who could beat me to doing this build. I want to do this build for the originality factor, as everyone has an SR-20 swap, or LS swap. I like being different in the fact that no one has done this motor before, so will get lots of attention for its uniqueness. Last thing I would want to do is have someone strip this from underneath me.
I currently have Mishimoto working with me to find/modify one of their radiators that will be sufficient to cool the engine, as well as fit the car, on top of hoses and what not. A local body shop is going to be doing the body work to make sure it looks good, as well as painting it for me.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Devil's Savior

As far as I know, nobody has used the engine I want to use in any S-chassis, and it hasn't been done in a S13 period.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Devil's Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
you didnt need to sell all of that but
any R200 diff 5 or 6 bolt with
j30 or Q45/z32 axles will do
I have Q45 axels ordered. So will be keeping those then. From what I have gathered I should sell the Q45 read diff, and buy an S-chassis rear diff. Am I correct?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

If you really are using a viper drivetrain you had better look into what transmission will actually fit without a lot of modification. As far as I know, the only T56 (6-speed manual) that will work in an S-chassis without chopping the hell out of it is one from an F-body. I've heard the CTS-V transmission may fit but I don't believe I've actually ever seen it used before.

Honestly, you need to do a lot more research before you start buying stuff. You have a lot more to worry about than what rear end you will use.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
q45 rear diff i believe is the j30 mentioned above pretty nice diff but stock r200s hold power well there's z cars that can do wheelies with stock 240sx diffs never broke one or came close to
BS, if you cant do wheelies on a stock rear end. They're stout but not that fucking stout. You'd blow axles atleast before you do that. Axles likes to twist off like pretzels at the input shaft into the hubs.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
Devil's Savior

Quote:
If you really are using a viper drivetrain you had better look into what transmission will actually fit without a lot of modification. As far as I know, the only T56 (6-speed manual) that will work in an S-chassis without chopping the hell out of it is one from an F-body. I've heard the CTS-V transmission may fit but I don't believe I've actually ever seen it used before.

Honestly, you need to do a lot more research before you start buying stuff. You have a lot more to worry about than what rear end you will use.
I am doing all the research I can. I really haven't bought much for the car as I want to make sure what I get will work. The only reason I am worried about the rear end right now, is I have nothing there, and will be moving soon, so need to get wheels on it to put in on a trailer. The car is currently sitting on 4 jack stands. Why buy something that wont work with what I want to move it, then have to turn around, sell it and get the right stuff the second time, when I can get the right thing the first time, and save time/money?

I do not see why I could not "tub out" where the tranny could go, then weld/ reinforce that area after widening it. The only reason I am thinking this, is when I owned a 95 Supra I wanted to do a tranny swap in it to make it a manual, and my racing shop owner in Germany said he would have to widen that area. The fit might be a little tight with the seats, but I'm sure I might get enough play out of it to fit. I will have my current body shop look at it, prior to purchase to see if that will be a possibility, or if I will have to find the specific tranny you are talking about. Never got to see how it would have worked as the car was crashed, and I bought a '97 6spd manual with the insurance money, so never had to do the swap.

The car is not going to be used for street use, so not looking to make this thing nice to look at with a ton of buttons. Just the normal functions of on, off, and have room for driver, and a passenger for ride alongs. If I can not have a passenger due to the tranny then so be it.

What exactly is an F-body? When I googled it, all I came up with were the late 90 to early 2000 Firebirds and Camaros.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
Devil's Savior

Sorry for the long delay on response. Currently deployed, and almost done with it, so things have slowed down drastically for me. I was robbed by the guy that was supposed to sell me the Q45 stuff, as am back to square one when it comes to finding a differential. I have the stock 4 lug S13 hubs now, so have made some progress.

Ok, from my research I have found that there are no differences between the Viper T56, and the F-Type T56, minus internals. This is according to Tremec. So fitment should not be an issue, as the F-type T56 has already been installed many times over on this car. Also to answer the question of a Viper motor in an S-chassis, yes it has happened before, maybe 10 times at this point. However, the vehicles it has been done on are S12, S14, S15. None have been installed in an S13, and of the motors installed they are all Gen I/II motors.

Just checking I want either the R200 or R230 rear diff, with either the J30, or Q45/300zx axels correct? I will start pricing these components out.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #28
Devil's Savior

Just priced out a used, rebuilt 300zx tt R230 rear diff with energy suspension bushings for $382 plus shipping. Is this a good price? I know I will need 300zx axels to use this, as the bolt pattern is different than the axels currently on the vehicle. Will the 300zx axels mount to S13 hubs? If not, will I have to get 5 lug S14 hubs?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #29
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow you really need to read all the writeup and faq threads...

If you wanna be unique, why not swap the entire z32 rear end in? hella-mexi-flush-x2 :P
Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #30
Devil's Savior

Problem is I am short on time when I am able to get on, and the internet over here in Afghanistan is extremely slow compared to back in the states. SO for the time being it is much easier and faster for me to ask the questions and get the answer from knowledgeable people like yourselves that know and have read those threads. Sorry if that seams like a poor excuse.

I am already going to be unique with my build, I can promise you that. A Z32 rear end swap is quite intriguing! Hmmmm... have not heard of that being done, but that sounds hella expensive comparatively speaking as I hear about the S14/S13 rear end swaps costing between $400-$700 depending on who sells it. Would have to see what I could find for 300zx's being parted out, to try and get the best deal. I do not think I will be able to do it with the initial build up, as I am trying to keep this build under $12k. With the purchase of the transmission tomorrow, and the motor costing about $5k, I will be at about $10k before fabricating anything for mounts, and bushings, not to mention still need the rear diff, engine/tranny harnesses, ECU, and coil overs. Guessing it can not be done for under $12k, with a mix of good and knock-off parts. Will have to raise my limit to $15k, and add another year for the build to get completed. Once I get the car running, and competitive in the drift series here in TN, then I can start looking at modding the car more, as hopefully I can gain some more sponsors that would be willing to help me upgrade the car better.