Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #31
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
I've sort of been here. Not with an exhaust ticket, but for getting a "modified tail light" citation in my old FD. Cop tjought my stock FD tail lights were modified and too dark.

My experience in a nut shell was that the cops nor the judges know shit about cars and these citations in general. They didn't bother with hard evidence like lumins readings and instead determined that the tail lights were modified because A) the cop just thought they looked dark and B)because I didnt purchase my 1993 Rx7 when it was new..when I was 5 years old. I was found guilty and tried to appeal the court decision but that turned out to be a nightmare in itself. You seem to need a degree in law to know what half the terms mean. Ended up not bothering with it and just paid the fine.
if you ever have a problem with this again, tell the officer to look for the DOT markings on the tail lights. if he/she still isnt having it, you need to appeal to the court and drag him/her in there to make your case. if you make the correct argument and document the DOT markings, your fine will be dismissed. more importantly, it shows the LEO that they arent always right. im not pro or anti cop, but they need to be held accountable for their actions (just like everyone else). this is the only effective way to fight these laws.

ive had to appeal stuff to the courts in CA, its not that hard; you just have to read and digest the process. although, i work in a law firm, so i guess i have a leg up there.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #32
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
don't worry, they're all going to oregon

my point is; california is always going to keep pulling shit like this. no one should be surprised. yeah, it's fucking dumb, but if you don't have $1000 to burn, you probably chose the wrong hobby
If we don't have $1000 to burn we chose the wrong hobby?
No one in their right mind, that has a brain and some sort of income, would willingly throw away $1000. TF outta here with that shit. You made of money? I know I aint.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #33
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ha ha ha ha sucks to be you. Get what you vote for guys.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #34
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
if you ever have a problem with this again, tell the officer to look for the DOT markings on the tail lights. if he/she still isnt having it, you need to appeal to the court and drag him/her in there to make your case. if you make the correct argument and document the DOT markings, your fine will be dismissed. more importantly, it shows the LEO that they arent always right. im not pro or anti cop, but they need to be held accountable for their actions (just like everyone else). this is the only effective way to fight these laws.

ive had to appeal stuff to the courts in CA, its not that hard; you just have to read and digest the process. although, i work in a law firm, so i guess i have a leg up there.
Oh I did bring up the DOT thing. I suppose they could have assumed the tail light was tinted where I even tried to bring the tail light in court and they literally told me that there was no evidence allowed in the courtroom. Exact words. No bullshit. So I brought pictures and they still didn't care. They had no clue what this car was and to them it looked modified which is all that mattered.

I got to maybe the 2nd step on the appeal process and they just kept sending my shit back with issues. I was working full time and going to school full time and just didnt have the time for it.

All I'm saying is if I got an exhaust ticket I wouldnt expect them to convict me based on a db reading, but instead on the fact that it looks shiny and modified. Technically, certain HKS hi powers are street legal and under the 95db limit, but I wouldn't count on a cop or judge to believe that. It's shiny and it looks like something designed for doing donuts in a crowded intersection=ticket.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
jdmlivin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (48)
jdmlivin is making a name for him/her selfjdmlivin is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jdmlivin
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...aust-noise-law
jdmlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
jdmlivin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (48)
jdmlivin is making a name for him/her selfjdmlivin is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jdmlivin
Little more updated info to help us out

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...aust-noise-law
jdmlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #37
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Pulled this from greddykenji's IG, https://www.instagram.com/p/BsYhGyhF3ZK, seems like you can have an aftermarket exhaust so long it's 95 decibels or quieter. cops are probably on a power trip right now.

Quote:
So... I have been speaking to the good people over at SEMA regarding this AB 1824 and working on clarifying the all the confusion so that we all can provide better information to our friends and customers. .
As of right now, the California Vehicle Code VC27151 calls out the SAE test procedure J1169 which is outdated and “inadequate” for some moderns cars. J1169 is a legacy test procedure and the updated SAE standard is J1492. SEMA is working towards updating the legislation to amend the statute. .
if your exhaust system meet the updated SAE J1492 standards, it should not be in violation of the Exhaust Noise law (unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system does in fact result in excessive noise over the 95 decibels under the SAE test standards)
The confusing part is that the current VC 27510 & 27151 does not recognize the current SAE J1492 test procedure that replaced the J1169 so BAR cant provide the proper test results to show compliance to the J1169 on recent vehicles. this is what SEMA is trying to update with State of California. .
You might still get a ticket from these officers that may not fully know or understand the details of the VC they are issuing, (yeah sucks but that’s the reality) but if the vehicle was not operated in violation, court may dismiss the case. IT IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC $1000 FINE! PEOPLE!! so breath and relax…
We will also update our test procedure to this current SAE J1492 standards for our exhaust systems and update our information online as soon as possible.
We will keep you updated. .
** I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advise, just sharing some information I have been receiving with you guys**
Old 01-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #38
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDANGER24 View Post
If we don't have $1000 to burn we chose the wrong hobby?
No one in their right mind, that has a brain and some sort of income, would willingly throw away $1000. TF outta here with that shit. You made of money? I know I aint.
"willingly," no, don't be dumb. adults with income and a bank account usually set aside money just in case shit hits the fan or maybe that's just me???

suggested fine for first offense is $193 total according to that sema article. i assume as long as they don't think you're grossly negligent it's not going to be a huge issue. and it's still bar "correctable," which is concerning if you've got an sr swap, but if it's just a ka then no worries (or just swap back to a ka real quick )
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #39
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
"willingly," no, don't be dumb. adults with income and a bank account usually set aside money just in case shit hits the fan or maybe that's just me???

suggested fine for first offense is $193 total according to that sema article. i assume as long as they don't think you're grossly negligent it's not going to be a huge issue. and it's still bar "correctable," which is concerning if you've got an sr swap, but if it's just a ka then no worries (or just swap back to a ka real quick )
And the test is 108$ plus the 25$ dismissal fee from Court. Seems more with it too try and fight it and just pay if you lose

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #40
danbarnett123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
danbarnett123 is making a name for him/her selfdanbarnett123 is making a name for him/her selfdanbarnett123 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hoping anyone that received a citation can post their setup.
And if you went to the ref, what db did it read?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #41
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Does anyone use one of these in s-chassis
https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...varex-mufflers

cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #42
Karlitos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
Karlitos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
A main difference with the "non-correctable" update is that the cops will be more willing to enforce it (income generator).

Pre-2019, a cop had no motivation to pull you over for only a noise violation. It's a correctable fix it ticket, quick trip to get it signed off, minor income, not worth the hassle for them. Of course, pulled over for speeding, sure they'll add a noise complaint there too.

Now, the cost/benefit flips to their favor. The hassle is no longer on them to sign off this ticket, its on the receiver to schedule something with the always busy CARB. The fees are higher too on the sign-off with less room for interpretation using the actual SAE spec.

It's a shitty situation in the sense that they didnt change the law, they just changed the benefit for cops to actually do something about it. Which we should be asking, why weren't they doing anything before? Only because it makes money know are they enforcing it
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #43
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbarnett123 View Post
Hoping anyone that received a citation can post their setup.
And if you went to the ref, what db did it read?
LOL. we should change this title to 'post your ticket and exhaust setup'.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #44
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Im seeing that stock exhausts are going for $200+ now in online markets. Insane.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote