Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
s14swormz

Trader Rating: (0)
s14swormz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB Need help getting my rb20det right

I want to buy the greddy e-manage for my rb in my Kouki. What else do I need? I have a oil pressure, boost gauges. And manual boost controller. I have a turbonetics turbo in it and has tons of boost lag everyone keeps saying it needs a tune so I need some suggestions on what the correct route is.
s14swormz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
If you want to get it right that emangage isn't the way. Get a nistune real time ecu, PFC, AEM,Haltech.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
s14swormz

ok if I went with aem what else is necessary?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Whats your goal? What do you already have? are you trying to drag race with it? drift? road race? freeway roll racing?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
s14swormz

drift / smash Hondas everyday lol. I have basics. Boost guage manual boost controller and oil pressure guage is all I have. And the stock ecu isn't handling the aftermarket turbo very well. My BOV is shitty too giving me a boost leak. What should I replace it with that doesn't cost 300 bucks
Old 03-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Sounds like you might want to get a smaller turbo. Sounds like your on stock injectors too so the stock ecu and maf are doing it's job trying not to blow up your motor. You need bigger injectors stock injectors are 270cc and good for 260whp maxing them out. If you thought that the RB20 was cheap to get into you made a big mistake lol.

Up grade your fuel pump too if you haven't, a 255lph pump will do the job. Get a real water temp gauge and good fans. Change the timing belt,idler pulley and water pump before you start to beat the car. You live in Palm springs where the temps are going to get crazy in the summer time. Bigger radiator and stock Fan shroud with oem RB fan clutch will keep the car cool even in that heat. The radiator you want wont be a mishimoto, it needs to fit in under the radiator support so you have room for the fan shroud and clutch fan. If you get a misimoto and you have a S14 you can cut the support and redrill new mount holes to move it forward so you have room.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
s14swormz

I recently had the timing belt done about a month ago with valve cover seals, my radiator is upgraded its pretty huge idk what brand and the fans are upgraded so The motor is ready. Plus it's not my daily driver. The only thing I haven't done it the pulleys but they have new belts on them.

My pump is a walbro 255 and my injectors are stock. Someone has said to just get a smaller turbo but that didn't seem too appealing to me lol. So I guess it comes down to that.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
s14swormz

So If i was to downgrade my turbo which one should I get ??
Old 03-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

You might want to talk to a local turbo shop. There is one in San Bernardino call Performance Technique, Call and talk to Jaime and tell him what your looking for and what you have now. He can prob rebuild yours to suit your needs or point you in the right directions. Get some injectors too and a external FPR, sucks that you need 6 injectors lol.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
s14swormz

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I'll look into what size injectors I need and I'll have to give them a call there are no local turbo shops in Palm springs
Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't buy some aftermarket big injectors just get supra 440cc injectors online. They are top feed and will work just fine for what you need. They're factory and the 2j guys just give em away. I found a set for like 100 bucks that was from a dude who cleans and bench tests all sorts of used injectors and resells them online. As far as the lag thing, yeah your turbo is most likely wayyyyy to big. just get a gt28 with a t3 flange or a gt30 that would be plenty big. You gotta remember these are 2.0 liter motors and dont need some giant t3/t4 precision. Look at what the sr20 guys use... 400 to 500 cc injectors and gt28's or gt30s anything more than that is overkill and lag city. Yeah its a 6 cylinder and revs higher but still aint nobody got time for lag. Lastly for the ecu +1 for megasquirt or nistune. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. Nistune if you wanna cheaper option and megasquirt if you're good with wiring. Personally I'd say go megasquirt I've heard really good things and its only like 800 bucks. Plus its a stand alone with tons of tunability options.
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

I would advise against the mega squirt, not because I think it's shit but because not too many tuners know how to tune them. You will find a way longer list of people that know the AEM vs the mega squirt in Socal. If your going to tune yourself then jump into the mega squirt.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
s14swormz

Yeah Im not trying to spend 2000 on an ecu. So the nistune sounds good. How much do those run for?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

But there are people that know how to tune on megasquirt so cal. It would be highly advisable to take the time to find one thats legit and recommended by others and if it requires a little longer of a drive so be it, the amount of money saved by not going with aem would make it worth it. Not to mention I've known people that have had both megasquirt and aem v2's in their cars and they say the aem is less tuneable and not worth the money.
Namaste mother f**ker
Old 03-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #15
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as turbo selection goes, a garrett 2871 is as big as i would go on a 2 liter. a GTX2867 would be even better but they are far more expensive.

the megasquirt is a fine ecu, and the nistune even better cause it's essentially a factory ecu with upgrades. both are great, and whichever tuner you trust and have close by, will help you choose.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #16
s14swormz

So I found some 7mgte supra 440cc injectors for 100 bucks, are these compatable ?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm running Deno 800cc injectors, Made the jump from stock to these many moons ago so I couldn't tell you if the 7M's fit. The lower injector insulators work on the RB20 intake manifold.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14swormz View Post
So I found some 7mgte supra 440cc injectors for 100 bucks, are these compatable ?
Yep thats exactly what I was talking about. Supra guys just give em away lol. As long as they're the top feed ones they should work no problem. I think the set I got came off a 2j but I could be mistaken.

Whereas I understand why some people go with 800 cc injectors its kinda overkill. Like I said look at SR builds. An adequate build can produce reasonably good power numbers with 550cc injectors and a beefy t28. In this situation they got 550's across 4 cylinders. Since RB is 6 cylinder 2.0L with smaller combustion chamber you dont need as high a cc injector.
Namaste mother f**ker
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
I would advise against the mega squirt, not because I think it's shit but because not too many tuners know how to tune them. You will find a way longer list of people that know the AEM vs the mega squirt in Socal. If your going to tune yourself then jump into the mega squirt.

So, this is an interesting concept right. Because a tuner by definition should also be a mechanic, a technician, programmer, should have a solid foundation in the workings of an internal combustion engine. Amirite?

As such, all ECU, doesn't matter if its a power FC, AEM, haltech, megasquirt, big stuff, etc... ALL work the same. They ALL have a fuel map, a spark map, and configurable inputs/outputs that operate on the same basic principles of voltage, pulsewidth, wavelengths, triggers/switches, etc...

So for instance if I had never touched an AEM... I should still be able to figure it out within a few minutes just by looking through the software. the best tuners can write your fuel map and ignition map before you even start the car, by doing some basic algebra and using instinctive knowledge about engines, regardless of what kind of computer is installed. Any "tuner" that says "I only tune X computer" isn't actually a tuner.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #20
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
So, this is an interesting concept right. Because a tuner by definition should also be a mechanic, a technician, programmer, should have a solid foundation in the workings of an internal combustion engine. Amirite?

As such, all ECU, doesn't matter if its a power FC, AEM, haltech, megasquirt, big stuff, etc... ALL work the same. They ALL have a fuel map, a spark map, and configurable inputs/outputs that operate on the same basic principles of voltage, pulsewidth, wavelengths, triggers/switches, etc...

So for instance if I had never touched an AEM... I should still be able to figure it out within a few minutes just by looking through the software. the best tuners can write your fuel map and ignition map before you even start the car, by doing some basic algebra and using instinctive knowledge about engines, regardless of what kind of computer is installed. Any "tuner" that says "I only tune X computer" isn't actually a tuner.
Your theory is right but some people just feel comfortable with what they know its just the way the world is. They might be able to do it but its going to take time and time is money when the car is sitting on the dyno.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo