Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Corey121
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Corey121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Normal Operating Oil Pressure?

What is the normal oil pressure when driving and when at idle, on the ka24de im wondering mine normal is at 50psi when driving but when at red lights its at like 15 pounds.
Corey121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
so be honest...you didn't bother to THINK about searching did you. here lies your answer. scroll over to the search button, don't click it, a window will open and "advanced search" will be an option. click that. in the top left of the page their is a "keyword" box...enter "oil pressure" , next below that, highlight the box until it reads. "search in title". then scroll down an little bit and click search. after that, you will be brought to a few pages of results. search through them until you receive your answer.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Corey121
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
so be honest...you didn't bother to THINK about searching did you. here lies your answer. scroll over to the search button, don't click it, a window will open and "advanced search" will be an option. click that. in the top left of the page their is a "keyword" box...enter "oil pressure" , next below that, highlight the box until it reads. "search in title". then scroll down an little bit and click search. after that, you will be brought to a few pages of results. search through them until you receive your answer.
That search button seems as useful as you are.. if you dont have an answer dont post... there is no title there that says "KA24DE OIL PRESSURE" i dont post unless i have to, when the search pulls up hundreds of threads that dont answer my quest thats when i post, forums are here for quick answer, and i guess trolls like yourself.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
nicho919
Leaky Injector

nicho919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You're not just a tool, or a tool box, you're the whole damned tool store. Get a life, homey.

Bump for an answer, since I don't know, and since it's a valid question, I looked and couldn't find it with a quick search.
nicho919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey121 View Post
That search button seems as useful as you are.. if you dont have an answer dont post... there is no title there that says "KA24DE OIL PRESSURE" i dont post unless i have to, when the search pulls up hundreds of threads that dont answer my quest thats when i post, forums are here for quick answer, and i guess trolls like yourself.
forums are actually a place to do research and interact with a specific community. but since you literally only contribute by asking questions that you are too lazy to search you wouldn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicho919 View Post
You're not just a tool, or a tool box, you're the whole damned tool store. Get a life, homey.

Bump for an answer, since I don't know, and since it's a valid question, I looked and couldn't find it with a quick search.
yeah "homey" sweet insult. oh and by the way...i know it was really hard to find...3 minutes later...maybe dig around a little more together and compare it to others to make sure it's accurate. but hey, what do i know.

Quote:
Warm:
idle ~700rpm = 15-20psi
3000rpm and above = 60-65psi

cold:
idle 45-55psi depending on air temp.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 01-18-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
nicho919
Leaky Injector

No, a forum is a place of community. Knocking on someone because he asked a question, in a place where those less experienced with building come to learn is just silly. Don't make an ass out of yourself. I think you can see from my post count to join date ratio that I generally lurk, and that I search the web before I post anything. That doesn't mean that answers are easily found, or that knowledge on a car with so many engines in use is easy to organize. There are probably 12 topics where some clown like you says "go search" that someone will have to wade through in order to get the answer they were after. Generally, oil pressures are affected by many things, ranging from ambient temperature, temperature at the bearings, sludge in the engine, shimmed oil pumps, oil filters (yes, they make a difference, especially if the bypass valve opens when it's not supposed to), and rpm. There is no rock solid answer to what oil pressure should be. That said, oil pressure is generally interpreted in the wrong light. Look to AEHaas of Ferrari fame for your oil answers, because he knows more than anyone on this board about oil pressures, oil temperatures, and how oil works.

In short, oil pressure isn't good. At some level, it is necessary to make sure that your engine has an adequate supply (as much as it can handle), but pressure is the opposite of flow. You don't want an artificially high pressure as a result of blockages in your artery (ever wonder why a lot of heart patients have high blood pressure?) but you also don't want a low oil pressure, since oil pressure is what drives the piston oil squirters, and of course, what provides oil to the rest of your engine. This is why on cold starts, a low oil pressure is much better. It indicates that the oil is thinner, has a lower viscosity, and is getting everywhere that it needs to. A high oil pressure generally indicates that you're running too thick of an oil and that it's not flowing enough, provided the pumping system is fine, and the oil passages are ideal. You should find out what the ideal is ^^ (see what the smart ass posted) and keep it there, if at all possible. If you overheat your engine, typically, it would mean a much lower than normal oil pressure, because the viscosity of the oil is decreased, and the tolerances of the engine (with, I think, the exception of the crank ((not certain)) ) are much much bigger, since heat makes things expand. And example of proof for this is the fact that a formula 1 engine at room temperature or colder is basically seized, but if you warm it up, it spins freely.

This is a HUGE topic, and is important, so I recommend you find some of AEHaas' posts on bobistheoilguy or ferrarichat. He's a genius, and I've yet to see anyone on the internet who knew what they were talking about refute anything he has said.

Happy vroom-vroom.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicho919 View Post
blah blah blah
wow, instead of white knighting your boyfriend you should have just posted that in the first place and saved me (not him) the 3 minutes it took me (not him) to search. i don't bash people for trying to learn. i have a problem with lazy people that don't contribute to the site but have no problem turning to it when they need help. i also "bash" people (i hate the term, lets say confront shall we) when they could search the topic on their own (you know and LEARN in the process) and find the answer to their question. if they put in a valid attempt and it doesn't work...sure ask away, i've done it myself. but when people refuse to search because of laziness and lack of patience it's not my job to spoon feed them.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
nicho919
Leaky Injector

Quote:
wow, instead of white knighting your boyfriend you should have just posted that in the first place and saved me (not him) the 3 minutes it took me (not him) to search. i don't bash people for trying to learn. i have a problem with lazy people that don't contribute to the site but have no problem turning to it when they need help. i also "bash" people (i hate the term, lets say confront shall we) when they could search the topic on their own (you know and LEARN in the process) and find the answer to their question. if they put in a valid attempt and it doesn't work...sure ask away, i've done it myself. but when people refuse to search because of laziness and lack of patience it's not my job to spoon feed them.
See your inbox, and be quiet. The kid got his answer, from you, and now you look like an , despite having answered it. I let the op get his answer before I add information that I have that doesn't answer the question, but may be useful. If I post all this shit before he gets an answer, it derails the thread.

-1 internetz to sideways.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
spindrift187
Leaky Injector

spindrift187 is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys are so quick to bash each other but he's right. i'm tired of seeing 1000x threads asking the same question when all somone has to do is search. not too mention, the reason the search feature sucks on this site is too many people make new threads that don't need to be made.

op, sidewaysil80's numbers seem right...BUT type of oil is going to be your biggest variable.
spindrift187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Corey121
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the replays.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You know whats really fuckin annoying?

Searching for something on zilvia and all you get are responces that say, "use the search button, blah blah"
Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
forums are actually a place to do research and interact with a specific community. but since you literally only contribute by asking questions that you are too lazy to search you wouldn't know that.

yeah "homey" sweet insult. oh and by the way...i know it was really hard to find...3 minutes later...maybe dig around a little more together and compare it to others to make sure it's accurate. but hey, what do i know.
do you know this info off the top of your head?

if any questions comes to that, why not just type it out?

like the guy said, search for threads wanting answers, either get outdated threads from 3-4 years back, or a thread with a bunch of posts that tell the OP to search.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
You know whats really fuckin annoying?

Searching for something on zilvia and all you get are responces that say, "use the search button, blah blah"
I know something even more annoying :

kids that cant be bothered to check that a thread is TWO YEARS OLD BEFORE POSTING CRAP IN IT.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I know something even more annoying :

kids that cant be bothered to check that a thread is TWO YEARS OLD BEFORE POSTING CRAP IN IT.
I'm pretty sure he knows it's two years old. He searched for the thread, and it's full of derp. I would bump it too.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote