Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #7321
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So I've decided I'm going to buy a complete front and rear knuckle+arm kit.
Problem is I can't decide between Wisefab, GkTech or PBM as they both offer full front and rear drop knuckle/arm kits.
They all look great. They all seem to perform great. GkTech seems to maybe have better rear knuckle kinematics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #7322
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
S13 FD legal wisefab installed:

There seems to be a lack of info for this kit. You do need to modify your strut tower for shock adjuster:
Another thing they don't mention, it moves the hubs 2-1/2" out farther than stock.
This is with -6+ camber 9.5 +10 wheels
have you been living under a rock?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #7323
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It seems so.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #7324
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I wish my GKTech's moved the hub out. I hit my struts with 315 tires up front...
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #7325
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So I've decided I'm going to buy a complete front and rear knuckle+arm kit.
Problem is I can't decide between Wisefab, GkTech or PBM as they both offer full front and rear drop knuckle/arm kits.
They all look great. They all seem to perform great. GkTech seems to maybe have better rear knuckle kinematics?

local friend of mine runs wisefab. he hasn't had anything bad to say about it so far
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #7326
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
I wish my GKTech's moved the hub out. I hit my struts with 315 tires up front...
None of them move the hub outboard in relation to the struts. They all move the whole front spindle and strut pickup outboard via a longer LCA.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #7327
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
I think Wisefab does though.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #7328
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

So how are you guys fixing it rubbing the axle boot again? I'm thinking just shortening the tension rod a bit might get me enough clearance.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 AM   #7329
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
What length have you set the traction rod at?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #7330
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quick question:

Is there a difference between using a tie rod spacer and running longer tie rods? As I see it, all that matters is the length from the rack threads to the ball joint on the outer end. But if this is the case, why would spacers exist if there are longer tie rods out there. Is there something I am not getting?
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #7331
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Quick question:

Is there a difference between using a tie rod spacer and running longer tie rods? As I see it, all that matters is the length from the rack threads to the ball joint on the outer end. But if this is the case, why would spacers exist if there are longer tie rods out there. Is there something I am not getting?
Rack spacers add length, but also increase rack travel.

Longer tie rods just increase length
Old 05-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #7332
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
What length have you set the traction rod at?
Shortening the traction rod fixed it. Running 210mm now. S14 subframe is recommended 199mm but I'm running the RLCA with the 15mm spacer.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #7333
Axel18
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Axel18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Quick question:

to add, rack spacers usually have a small diameter section that goes into the steering rack after the thread, hence the more lock, since you can fully use the teeths of the steering rack. Without them the tie rod usually stops against the steering rack housing limiting how much movement you have.

Im using like 4 big rack spacers lol (not the ring type), since i extended my flca, tein rods didnt give me enough length to fully connect everything.
Axel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #7334
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tie rod spacers (rings, thread-in, and offset) also move the inner pivot point. This changes bump-steer. Longer tie rods have the inner pivot at the factory location.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #7335
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to buy the wisefab upper strut relocation piece separately from the whole kit?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #7336
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

They offer every part separately.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #7337
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

D-Clem is making a name for him/her selfD-Clem is making a name for him/her self
Anyone used the new Geomaster 3 front knuckle? There seems to not be very much information on it even on the website. It appears to be a trailing knuckle in "drift mode" and it's not even mentioned. Ackerman gains, (I know they don't advertise angle), but for something like these that seem like a big deal, I'm really surprised I can't find any real info other than "we collaborated with Wisefab". I'm running GKTech's Flca, their sway bar setup, and my own custom knuckle. I will be changing to GKTech's v3 (also not much info on yet but the manufacturer lists a ton of info unlike driftworks AND has been on top of all my questions and order changes when I needed it) more than likely but wanted to see how the new Driftworks/wisefab did. Also, the PBM trailing knuckle. Is this just a new thing that is gaining popularity since Wisefab was doing it? I'm missing the big deal about the trailing knuckle I guess? Is it just that you can run more caster without having to bring the wheel too far forward or back in the wheel well or am I missing a huge benefit here? Anyone using the PBM trailing knuckle yet
D-Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #7338
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Clem View Post
Anyone used the new Geomaster 3 front knuckle? There seems to not be very much information on it even on the website. It appears to be a trailing knuckle in "drift mode" and it's not even mentioned. Ackerman gains, (I know they don't advertise angle), but for something like these that seem like a big deal, I'm really surprised I can't find any real info other than "we collaborated with Wisefab". I'm running GKTech's Flca, their sway bar setup, and my own custom knuckle. I will be changing to GKTech's v3 (also not much info on yet but the manufacturer lists a ton of info unlike driftworks AND has been on top of all my questions and order changes when I needed it) more than likely but wanted to see how the new Driftworks/wisefab did. Also, the PBM trailing knuckle. Is this just a new thing that is gaining popularity since Wisefab was doing it? I'm missing the big deal about the trailing knuckle I guess? Is it just that you can run more caster without having to bring the wheel too far forward or back in the wheel well or am I missing a huge benefit here? Anyone using the PBM trailing knuckle yet
Trailing knuckle allows you to run close to 0* caster and still have the self-steer feel of a car that has the normal 5-7* of caster.
Less caster means more contact patch at high steering angles.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #7339
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

D-Clem is making a name for him/her selfD-Clem is making a name for him/her self
Yea that's a pretty good idea, just wasn't sure if that was the whole principle in it but now begs the question of has anyone run them aside from wisefab and how does it feel in practice? Correct me if I'm wrong but my thought process is if you move the spindle back, in order to re-center the wheel in the wheel well, you will be in fact adding caster to get it to the same placement. That is unless when using these types of design people don't care about Wheel placement unless of course it is rubbing on the inner wheel well. It just seems counterproductive to me if you would then have to shorten the tension rod length to compensate? What am I missing here? Is the spindle movement not that drastic to where you would be able to in fact run zero caster and still have the Wheel center? Do you follow what I'm saying or what I am trying to say? I think I may just be confusing at this point but in my head you would be movIng the spindle backwards but only then be moving it back forward to center in the wheel well thus bringing about the same issue but then having even more caster. I guess with this type of design it's function over form purely? But then what about banging tire on the back of the wheel well? lol I'm sorry but I'm sure I'm missing something or it's truly not that drastic as my mind is leading me to believe
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #7340
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm not familiar enough with the knuckles to say how much they move the spindle back, but it looks like somewhere in the range of 15-25mm. Fairly significant. I can't personally say what people to to counteract the fact that the wheel now sits further back in the wheel well, but, considering the cost of the knuckle and that most people that would be using this should be fairly serious about what they're doing, I don't think aesthetics is an issue. Now wheel well clearance is another issue altogether. I'm not sure what can be done about that besides moving the strut top further forward and shortening the tension rod more.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #7341
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
You move the wheel forward with offset strut tops.

Offthewall is test fitting and driving on GKtech's prototype V4 Pronuckle, which is a trialing knuckle with adjustable ackerman. 50mm drop as well.

He doesn't currently have offset strut tops, so he's running a LOT of caster.

This is with 8* of caster, on the highest ackerman setting, and with the lock stops all the way out. He needs offset strut tops to maximize angle, which is actually limited by his huge Evo 8/9 front calipers, haha.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #7342
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

Of course.... I buy v3 knucks today to finish my kit.... v4 come out soon hahahaha
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #7343
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

But that's really cool. I wanted to just use PBM's and see how it felt but honestly I want some camber gain on lock. I don't want loads of front grip. I want good grip, but I want some slip too. Still would like to drive a set, thanks for sharing
Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #7344
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

How is the Ackerman adjustable on the GkTech V4 knuckles?

Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #7345
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
How is the Ackerman adjustable on the GkTech V4 knuckles?

The tie rod seat is eccentric, and locks into place when you tighten it. You can see how it's offset to the inside in the pic above^.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #7346
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I see. So not a large range of adjustment. Maybe a degree or two?

Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #7347
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I see. So not a large range of adjustment. Maybe a degree or two?

It's 6mm from inside to outside, which has a surprisingly large affect on ackerman.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #7348
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
It's 6mm from inside to outside, which has a surprisingly large affect on ackerman.

This is absolutely true. I've made several sets of knuckles trying different inclination angles with the tie rod vs ball joint and distance in relation to being parallel vs further inboard and a very very small difference will make a huge change and especially at lock. Also I wanted to add to this thread and say I just got my GKTech V3 knuckles in the other day and finished off their front end "kit" at least the basics(sway bar, FLCA, and knuckles) and they are amazing. I bought the sway bar and Flca a couple weeks ago and decided I'd use those to help develop my own knuckles a little further since I'd have more clearance and be able to determine to perfect LCA extension for them and blah blah blah. Well, my tig welding helmet order got postponed another month (just waiting on the new Panoramaxx to get to the states) and I bought myself that for my birthday. Well I said screw that as I've already waited two months and canceled the order and just got the GKTech knuckles instead to try them out and see how they do their pickups. I'm blown away. Guys, to me, this is the ideal setup. At least the Flca and sway bar if you're on a budget and using modded knucks. Ball joint keeps the factory curve so scrub doesn't get messed up, you can run 20mm of roll center correction even on your factory knuckles with 17's(I know they say 18's but I tried work D9R's and RPF1's with plenty of clearance. And you can set the bump stop so you can go as mild or wild as you want. If you want to keep the wheels in the fender? Adjust them in some and set your stop accordingly. Idk I just thought I'd share because I've tried a lot of things and trying to find that perfect balance and I feel like this is a very very well done setup and the answer to street cars and guys like me that just have full drift cars (sees the street occasionally) and don't want wisefab for numerous reasons. If you've got any questions I'll try to do my best to answer but I know when I was debating them the only one I could find that had them was KATitties and a somewhat local dude that I don't know. Hope this helps someone because I was weary of their quality as I've seen some stuff come from them in the past that was bad but man, these are sweet.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #7349
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I just ordered a pair of DriftKnuckles myself. Anybody try these yet? I didn't need the full kit as I already have custom lca and tension arms.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #7350
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
...got my answer

Last edited by killer240; 06-21-2017 at 05:35 AM..
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote