Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #61
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
offthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Yeah, did my headliner with 3M spray can. It held for a year and change. It now sags. I see Broadfield uses 3M Spray Gun which seems like a hassle.

I might try the Loctite when I fix the head liner.

I did see him saying that about this door panels. Tried like 5 times before he switched using that spray gun? But, he's knows what he's doing ahah.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #62
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

drewr4411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Bud looks like it time for me to go LS sooner then I thought.

can you give me a price on this

And this

Also if you had to do it over again would you do the Z33 tranny conversion or have Gone T56?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #63
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

offthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her selfoffthewall is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewr4411 View Post
Hey Bud looks like it time for me to go LS sooner then I thought.

can you give me a price on this

And this

Also if you had to do it over again would you do the Z33 tranny conversion or have Gone T56?
Power steering kit is on our site PM me though if you want to get the kit. LINK: (http://www.whalentuned.com/collections/nissan-240sx)

The brake booster plate, same PM me on that as well.

And the whole transmission situation is a grey area for me. My 03' Z33 transmission is shitty. So, i'm not really happy that I bought this particular year trans.. I essentially wasted money.

But, weeks ago. I was talking with Team Rip Engineering (TRE). He (Jon@TRE) a absolute genius in building transmission. Anyway, was talking with him about my set up and the transmission I was running. He laughed at when I said I wanted to build it (my spare Z trans). He said its a paper weight compared to the newer z33 transmissions and would be a waste of money building it.. So, him saying that. I'd still run a z33 trans only if it was a better one.

IF I found a "decent" deal on a T56 trans. IDK, I might have bought it. It would suck to break it. I mean, a brand new z33 transmission is $1700 (retail) and I can even find used T56 for that (at the time I was searching)..
Old 01-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #64
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
Power steering kit is on our site PM me though if you want to get the kit. LINK: (http://www.whalentuned.com/collections/nissan-240sx)

The brake booster plate, same PM me on that as well.

And the whole transmission situation is a grey area for me. My 03' Z33 transmission is shitty. So, i'm not really happy that I bought this particular year trans.. I essentially wasted money.

But, weeks ago. I was talking with Team Rip Engineering (TRE). He (Jon@TRE) a absolute genius in building transmission. Anyway, was talking with him about my set up and the transmission I was running. He laughed at when I said I wanted to build it (my spare Z trans). He said its a paper weight compared to the newer z33 transmissions and would be a waste of money building it.. So, him saying that. I'd still run a z33 trans only if it was a better one.

IF I found a "decent" deal on a T56 trans. IDK, I might have bought it. It would suck to break it. I mean, a brand new z33 transmission is $1700 (retail) and I can even find used T56 for that (at the time I was searching)..

TRE Is huge in the evo world but you already new that. Their rear diffs are killer

interesting. I owned a G37 and loved that trans. The T56 seems like a big hassel with setting it up and have to buy them and find them. T56 used are the same price as a G37 tranny stock. Makes me wonder also if I should go that route instead of buying a Fbody.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #65
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The 03 is the older, poorly designed "CD0009" gearbox (or I think it has a different designation. Maybe CD001?? Not sure). You want the 04+ gearbox as all the issues with the earlier boxes were fixed in this and later iterations. Offthewall, the one you have is pretty much a "rubbish", not-fully-developed version of the much more robust and sorted CD009. Just like any car, the first model/manufacture year of any items is the one with the most problems.

2003 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st and 2nd
No triple cone synchronizers

2004 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD008

2005 CD009
Double cone synchronizer in 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #66
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The 03 is the older, poorly designed "CD0009" gearbox (or I think it has a different designation). You want the 04+ gearbox as all the issues with the earlier boxes were fixed in this and later iterations.

2003 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st and 2nd
No triple cone synchronizers

2004 6MT

2005 CD008

2005 CD009
Double cone synchronizer in 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Thanks for the info!! But, yeah. I'm upset. Ticking time bomb with me.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #67
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Whalen's LM7 S13 Coupe - WSRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewr4411 View Post
TRE Is huge in the evo world but you already new that. Their rear diffs are killer

interesting. I owned a G37 and loved that trans. The T56 seems like a big hassel with setting it up and have to buy them and find them. T56 used are the same price as a G37 tranny stock. Makes me wonder also if I should go that route instead of buying a Fbody.

Meh, a brand new TR6060 is $2,600 and there a tons of options for T-56, Magnum T-56 and TR6060's in the 2,6-3,5k range.

It bolts directly so your saving the $400+ adapter plate + conversion issues.

The T-56 family just has so much to offer in terms of customization, parts support, ratios and strength. It's not surprising how expensive they are second hand.

There are also the TKO's that are 5spds for ~$2-2,5k new. I've heard guys slinging stories of buying used ones for a grand. TKO 600 by Hurst is $2,395 on Jegs. Has .64, .68 and .82 for 5th gear options.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #68
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Meh, a brand new TR6060 is $2,600 and there a tons of options for T-56, Magnum T-56 and TR6060's in the 2,6-3,5k range.

It bolts directly so your saving the $400+ adapter plate + conversion issues.

The T-56 family just has so much to offer in terms of customization, parts support, ratios and strength. It's not surprising how expensive they are second hand.

There are also the TKO's that are 5spds for ~$2-2,5k new. I've heard guys slinging stories of buying used ones for a grand. TKO 600 by Hurst is $2,395 on Jegs. Has .64, .68 and .82 for 5th gear options.
I am a big fan of K.I.S.S. but man, those T-56 gearboxes are commanding a premium now that everyone and their mom want's it for their swap. Even the TR6060 is getting up there in price!

Even the cheaper ones ($1,500-$1,800) are used with unknown history on them. Even with the adapter plate, it's almost better (for the piece of mind) to buy a later version CD009 Brand New than risk a used T-56 or T6060 (which may end up needing to be rebuilt anyways). In addition, the CD009 is just as strong as the T series gearbox.

On the other hand, you could probably source a properly rebuilt T-56 for about the price of the entire swap to a CD009.

Hmmmmmmm
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #69
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I am a big fan of K.I.S.S. but man, those T-56 gearboxes are commanding a premium now that everyone and their mom want's it for their swap. Even the TR6060 is getting up there in price!

Even the cheaper ones ($1,500-$1,800) are used with unknown history on them. Even with the adapter plate, it's almost better (for the piece of mind) to buy a later version CD009 Brand New than risk a used T-56 or T6060 (which may end up needing to be rebuilt anyways). In addition, the CD009 is just as strong as the T series gearbox.

On the other hand, you could probably source a properly rebuilt T-56 for about the price of the entire swap to a CD009.

Hmmmmmmm
Well when you figure in the $1000.00 swap kit $1000-1400.00 trans your already in T56 range like you said.

You seem to spend the money either way. Were it comes down to "if they break" you may make out better with a CD009. But I also don't Know how much it is to rebuild a T tranny.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #70
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Yeah, thinking about it, the upfront costs (as mentioned in the other post) may align better considering the T gearbox was "made" for the LSX engines.......
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #71
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
In addition, the CD009 is just as strong as the T series gearbox.
Is it? I know they do well behind 700whp SRs, VQs and F20Cs.... But I've not seen much for high power, high torque V8s.

The gear ratios are my big fear. 240sx is also a stock 4.11 no? I don't know of any aftermarket R&P setups either to lower that to work with the CD009 better.

Quote:

Hmmmmmmm

A Gear Ratio comparison chart I've put together. A TR6060 is the modern updated T-56. The T56 is no longer in production. It's either a TR6060 or the Magnum T56 (which is different from a 98-02 Camaro T56).

Which ever way anyone goes, it sucks. Transmissions are just expensive when you want more then 300hp. At least being RWD we have options.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #72
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yeah, thinking about it, the upfront costs (as mentioned in the other post) may align better considering the T gearbox was "made" for the LSX engines.......
Yeah, we have many distributors. Biggest one near near me is Lane Automotive. We recently bought a T56 Magnum (high torque) for a customers car. (built LM7, twin BorgWarner S300sx-e's). That was 3k (brand new) and I know my price brake on that trans is maybe a $100 off. And i got $1000 into my trans/adapter/shifter bracket. If I had the "better" Z33 transmission i'd be saying that's a deal compared to a any T56 transmission.... BUT i don't so.

Price seems always the deciding factor, i'm most cases. But, I like said. If there was a T56 transmission rolling around me for anywhere near the cost of what my set-up is worth. Kinda a no-brainer. Id have the stronger transmission. But, right now. My transmission is the last thing on my mind. I guess i'll take it easy, lie, and see how it holds up. If it goes it goes, if not then ill let it be. haha
Old 01-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #73
Corbic
Post Whore!

Could you just sell your 03 350Z trans and buy the CD009?
Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #74
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Could you just sell your 03 350Z trans and buy the CD009?
I could, I could. I have a spare transmission. It's in pretty good shape. But, it needs a "rebuild". And there is mine which is in great condition, lower miles buuut its all cut up for the adapter plate. If someone would want it for a LS swap, id sell it. But, there isn't anyone near me doing one.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #75
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Due to the lame things i've doing to the car. I've also been building my powder-coating oven here the shop. It's something that has been going as long as my v8 swap project. But, I have recently gotten to the point where I hope this is help fund and finish my build. I hate not buying car parts so that's why the whole interior wrapping as been going on. It gives me something to do the car while I fund the P.C oven.

4x4x8 ft. Should have all the wiring materials show up next week to get the oven's control panel wired. I have 6 heating elements to install. Hope to get my set up semi official.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #76
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
I

Hmmmmmmm
Hahahaha! I have a Rockland Standard Gear (RSG) Tranzilla which is essentially as beefy as you can get before a dog box.

You have to bring them a working T56 (1700-2k), and the rebuild from costs 3200 by itself..
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #77
theboy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
theboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Are you running the stock shifter extension length or did you shorten it? Any pics of your shifter location/setup?
theboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #78
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy View Post
Are you running the stock shifter extension length or did you shorten it? Any pics of your shifter location/setup?
No, aftermarket. I'll get some pictures today.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #79
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.c...-shifter-mount

Last edited by offthewall; 01-22-2016 at 02:51 PM..
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #80
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Got hooked up by Stealth Custom Fab. Great front and rear strut tower bars. Usually not a fan of them. But, these definitely fit the car great.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #81
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Is it? I know they do well behind 700whp SRs, VQs and F20Cs.... But I've not seen much for high power, high torque V8s.

The gear ratios are my big fear. 240sx is also a stock 4.11 no? I don't know of any aftermarket R&P setups either to lower that to work with the CD009 better.
Factory turbo S15 is 3.69. Q45 diffs are 3.54. If you're really concerned just pop a Pathfinder diff in it, they also come with 3.54, or 3.11 if you have a turbo V8 and want to do top speed stuff or something. There are a lot of options for final drives.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #82
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Messing around, good ol PoorMans180sx stop by the shop and made me change my entire radiator hoses, jkin lol. But, no. I need to sell my fenders and such.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #83
Green Arrow
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any worries about vibrations and jarring bumps hacking away at the an fittings to the radiator?
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #84
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:

2004 6MT
Joe, this is the transmission that's in the car. You'll be just fine.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #85
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Joe, this is the transmission that's in the car. You'll be just fine.
Yeah, i'll make it work. good to know though.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #86
offthewall
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Any worries about vibrations and jarring bumps hacking away at the an fittings to the radiator?
Yeah, the lower rad hose secures this pretty well. BUT, I have thought of making little rubber bushings to help the vibrations on those bottom tabs I made. I've been also thinking about adding weldable threaded tabs right to the rad, then make brackets to also secure it.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #87
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Looks like Serial Nine's new shifter would have put your shifter right in the stock position for your setup.
http://postgram.co/p/1166214831613602674_15766977/
http://postgram.co/p/1166509957019790305_15766977/
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #88
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Factory turbo S15 is 3.69. Q45 diffs are 3.54. If you're really concerned just pop a Pathfinder diff in it, they also come with 3.54, or 3.11 if you have a turbo V8 and want to do top speed stuff or something. There are a lot of options for final drives.

3.11 would be nice with the 350Z ratios. Nice long pulls.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #89
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Looks like Serial Nine's new shifter would have put your shifter right in the stock position for your setup.
http://postgram.co/p/1166214831613602674_15766977/
http://postgram.co/p/1166509957019790305_15766977/
Oh wow, that's cool.

Quote:
3.11 would be nice with the 350Z ratios. Nice long pulls.
Yeah really long haha. If you had a highway monster that would be ideal.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #90
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Damn sucks that you ended up with the earlier CD003. The CD009 is much stronger overall as you noted. From my research when I was considering swapping out the trans instead of selling the car I remembered reading a few posts where the TR6060 from the Camaro having issues under some hard driving for some. Now if you talk about the T56 Magnum which is different from the TR6060 you are talking about a STOUT trans but also at the price of $3000+ new. From Tremec the trans has two options, 2.66 or 2.97 so you have your pick between shorter gearing or higher top speed. If you search around LS1Tech there is an RX7 with LS9 turbo setup running a completely stock Mangum with 2.66 running low 9s all day.

To me the sore part of my recent LS1 setup was the T56. With the SPEC 3+ clutch it was quite the hassle to drive in traffic. Weekend driving it was fine but still annoying. It took the fun away from driving the car at times. If I ever do another build I would either go with the CD009 or Magnum for sure.

Keep up the good work been following your build from day 1. Cant wait to see the final results.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 02-02-2016 at 11:23 AM..
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote