Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
overkill of some brakes on an s14.... just way too much for a little car.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Are you guys reading the link? The kit is to adapt the brakes to a 300zx. If you can bolt 300zx brakes to an s14, then this kit can work on a 300zx. Process of elimination. Sheesh
You mean the distributive property?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #33
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I hear the rotor is somewhere north of 30 pounds, each.
What kind of shit.. that's probably almost equivalent to a fucking lightweight wheel and a tire.
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
vlspeedjunky

Trader Rating: (0)
vlspeedjunky is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Akebono rotors?
vlspeedjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
k.man
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
k.man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlosey View Post
I put the Akebono setup on the Tyler Cox memorial car. If you are ambitious you can look through the little build thread over here:

As to your question of the fitment of 17s, no fucking way. I cannot imagine any 17 inch wheel fitting these things, and I tried a bunch, including RPF, battles, and a few others. These brakes are fucking HUGE. They were simply chosen for LOL factor because Tyler used to run huge Project Mu brakes on his car, and I didn't want to spend 5k doing a brake setup, so I settled on these things.

Highlights from when putting them on the car:

1. They are fucking huge, not exactly in a good way. The rotors are MASSIVE and heavy. More of a bling setup on a 240SX than anything else.

2. With adapters and stuff you still have to clearance the calipers. And that is with perfect fitting bolts with keyed heads. Assembling everything required taking stuff back off and putting it on over and over again and nibbling parts, and I purchased the full kit from a retailer as a full bolt on s14 kit.

Brackets look nice, but are massive lol.

This picture should give you an idea of the scale of the damn rotor. If you drop this thing on your leg while installing parts you will break your leg.

If you look at the picture of the caliper and the paper towel roll, the caliper is the size of the damn paper towel roll or bigger. : 0

3. You could have odd issues depending on your knuckle setup and control arms, wheels and other stuff. These brakes are simply huge, and might not work with every setup.

4. They look really nice on the car though, very tasteful and huge. I like the OEM look. The rotors are simply stupid big, and really heavy. With some type of fancy light weight rotor this setup would be cooler. The calipers aren't heavy so that isn't a big deal.

5. The kit I bought worked pretty well in the end, I just had to rebuy some new bolts and stuff since I didn't exactly like how their kit went together. Their brackets were very nice. I couldn't imagine trying to build a bracket setup for these brakes myself to get them on the car, it would be miserable. Even with the kit it took me a whole day of taking them on and off and fixing little issues one at a time. If you have a drift car or something, DO NOT get these lol. I put these on a drift car, and it was probably a big mistake and a waste of money, but it was a style thing.

6. I haven't driven on them yet, only put them on the car. I think all in with completely new hardware and a bolt on kit they were around 2600 dollars shipped. To my knowledge I have never seen another S chassis ever with these things on. Probably a reason lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G30gIjZWKk
k.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
510-SR20DET
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
510-SR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
what HP are you making to even attempt to use these massive brakes? Please tell me it's over 500 or your car will hate you.