Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #22141
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Removing the oil filter for sure was a good idea, working from the top of the car proved to be very awkward due to very little room to move around and removing the filter bought me enough room to get pliers in there. I wanted to ask, is there a factory fitting on the oil pressure port? Or would my sensor* thread directly on there?

FYI, I did get an NPT to BSPT adapter* which threaded onto my sensor.

The reason why Im asking is bc I had to thread the BSPT adapter onto another little fitting that was already on the block, which then screwed into the engine block. I tried to screw the BSPT fitting into the block itself but I was getting a lot of resistance and didnt want to strip any threads.

Just to be clearer about the sequence,
sensor -> NPT to BSPT adapter -> fitting -> engine block
I think the sensor threads directly into the oil filter block.
Here's the best pics I could find when my engine was apart, if that helps.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #22142
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Just wondering .. have any of you guys had experience with converting your SR to delete the ignition chip? And use smart coils from a VQ? I have heard LS coils / R8 coils .. but not so much on VQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #22143
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I suppose so long as everything is tight and the gauge is reading that itll be fine. Whenever the engine gets pulled ill most likely have a closer look. Who knows, maybe the threads are fcked
Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #22144
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
Just wondering .. have any of you guys had experience with converting your SR to delete the ignition chip? And use smart coils from a VQ? I have heard LS coils / R8 coils .. but not so much on VQ.

Yes, I deleted mine did run S15 coils. Actually had some ignitor chip delete modules created to make it easier. I took it a step further and wired in a capacitor like the stock s15/z33 ignition circuit has.

It's a pretty strait forward upgrade. And the S15 & VQ coil pin out is the same, I have a write up somewhere.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #22145
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Yes, I deleted mine did run S15 coils. Actually had some ignitor chip delete modules created to make it easier. I took it a step further and wired in a capacitor like the stock s15/z33 ignition circuit has.

It's a pretty strait forward upgrade. And the S15 & VQ coil pin out is the same, I have a write up somewhere.

I seen some online vids, I’m just curious on how much Hp/Boost the VQ coils can handle. Wouldn’t mind supplying that write up?

S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #22146
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
I seen some online vids, I’m just curious on how much Hp/Boost the VQ coils can handle.
There are people running 700+hp vq's on stock coilpacks. You shouldn't have any spark blowout issues with them if the plugs are gapped properly.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #22147
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I seen some online vids, I’m just curious on how much Hp/Boost the VQ coils can handle. Wouldn’t mind supplying that write up?

I think any modern era coil-on-plug will provide all the spark you'll need, especially compared to the old s13/s14 style ones.

It's not really a write up, but post #22 in this thread has pictures and wiring info: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Old 08-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #22148
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
has anyone had experience with KTS arms? I searched and all I found are 10+ year old threads that talked about kts/silk road coilovers. I am after a RUCA for my altezza and don't want to spend 800 bones for s9.
well I went ahead and ordered them and they look sweet for what I paid, the heim is nice and tight and it looks like they made the arm with very low cars in mind (a big selling point for me). going to install in a month or so when I have everything else. just in case anyone finds this searching down the road.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #22149
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Small stupid question... But first watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlmqi0Fuag&t=72s

Okay now hear me out... EJ20 Z32.

Did I make anyone vomit? lol

SR Z32's are popping up more and more. 400lbs weight reduction over the VG30 right there. FWIH, the EJ20 is lighter than the SR and from the look of things last time I checked, these engines are cheaper than SRs too (which have been on the rise). I've seen complete WRX engine for under $900 without the transmission, which is fine because the VG trans should be stronger anyways (if it could actually work). Should be better weight distribution too.

Complete pie in the sky idea but was curious if I'm the only person interested in it.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #22150
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
So, what is your question? People have swapped EJ20s in plenty of chassis. the biggest hurdle ive seen with the swap is width in the bay/shock towers due to it being a pancake powerplant.

the big upside about these power plants (other than weight) is lower COG. although keep in mind, every powerplant has their own Achilles heel. in stock form, the EJ20 has a turbo hanging over a cylinder that can put increased wear on it(I believe cylinder #3), and the intake manifold is facing the firewall.

lets also not forget to mention open deck, im not sure if all are, but I definitely know some are open deck block. currently working on one with my roommate and have learned a bunch about these little motors over the last year or so. they are sooo small when you get all of the auxiliary crap off of it and just down to the bare block/head
Old 08-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #22151
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Small stupid question... But first watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlmqi0Fuag&t=72s

Okay now hear me out... EJ20 Z32.

Did I make anyone vomit? lol

SR Z32's are popping up more and more. 400lbs weight reduction over the VG30 right there. FWIH, the EJ20 is lighter than the SR and from the look of things last time I checked, these engines are cheaper than SRs too (which have been on the rise). I've seen complete WRX engine for under $900 without the transmission, which is fine because the VG trans should be stronger anyways (if it could actually work). Should be better weight distribution too.

Complete pie in the sky idea but was curious if I'm the only person interested in it.
The VG barely fits in the engine bay as it is. You think you can stuff a wider engine in there?
Old 08-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #22152
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
So, what is your question? People have swapped EJ20s in plenty of chassis. the biggest hurdle ive seen with the swap is width in the bay/shock towers due to it being a pancake powerplant.

the big upside about these power plants (other than weight) is lower COG. although keep in mind, every powerplant has their own Achilles heel. in stock form, the EJ20 has a turbo hanging over a cylinder that can put increased wear on it(I believe cylinder #3), and the intake manifold is facing the firewall.

lets also not forget to mention open deck, im not sure if all are, but I definitely know some are open deck block. currently working on one with my roommate and have learned a bunch about these little motors over the last year or so. they are sooo small when you get all of the auxiliary crap off of it and just down to the bare block/head
No specific questions really. Just looking for reasons why this might be a worse idea than an SRZ32, which is actually pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The VG barely fits in the engine bay as it is. You think you can stuff a wider engine in there?
Damn, the EJ is WIDER than the VG?!? Holy shit. I'm thinking no way it can be wider than a VH45, but I guess it might be... Let me go look for dimensions...

Edit: Shit. the VH is 29 inches wide. The EJ is 32 inches wide. Tight fit city. Sounds like a no go.

Did that dinky little MR2 Spyder really have more bay space than a Z32?!? hmmm...
Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #22153
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

as stated above, the biggest hurdle is the width. its not necessarily a 'bad' idea if you can get it to fit. although im sure a lot of people would be dismissive of it as its outside the norm. ive also discovered a lot of people are somewhat dismissive or ignorant when it comes to subarus in general (certain Subaru owners don't help themselves in this situation).

also, you cant really compare a mr2 bay to a z32. mr2 is RR layout, where as the z32 is a FR type layout. the blocks aren't even facing the same way. apples to oranges.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #22154
simmode1
Post Whore!

You are right. Maybe I'll just toy around with the idea of an EJ20 SW20 instead.
I wish the video had a shot of the engine in that MR2 Spyder's bay. If he had to cut out the firewall between the engine bay and the trunk, then I'm not interested.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #22155
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
You are right. Maybe I'll just toy around with the idea of an EJ20 SW20 instead.
I wish the video had a shot of the engine in that MR2 Spyder's bay. If he had to cut out the firewall between the engine bay and the trunk, then I'm not interested.
Yeah, the trunk is gone. The whole car is caged and framed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYWQx_M5lEQ
Old 09-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #22156
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Is water from the outside supposed to leak through the door windows and into the inside of the door?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #22157
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Is water from the outside supposed to leak through the door windows and into the inside of the door?
You don't drive a race car in the rain...
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 AM   #22158
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn9CywHLd8

I saw this video on Instagram, then found it on YouTube. Can anyone explain what the hell is happening?
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #22159
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
You don't drive a race car in the rain...
I'm not sure what you're getting at... I'm investigating water leaks for a daily driven car. I have my door cards off and with the windows closed, water seeps into the inside of the door from the outside. Since its like that for both sides, I'm looking for clarification if that's how it's supposed to be.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #22160
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Aw no way you asked that brah! You KNOW better! Does water do that in a new car? Not even!
You probably need a new seal, door aligned, or window aligned. Had my passenger window misaligned for a bit, drove through one of those gas stop no touch car washes, and my buddy got a shower when teh water sprayed through the top seal. I didn't know whether to laugh becuase he got a bit soaked, or cry because my seat got wet
😅😅😅😅💀
Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #22161
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Aw no way you asked that brah! You KNOW better! Does water do that in a new car? Not even!
You probably need a new seal, door aligned, or window aligned. Had my passenger window misaligned for a bit, drove through one of those gas stop no touch car washes, and my buddy got a shower when teh water sprayed through the top seal. I didn't know whether to laugh becuase he got a bit soaked, or cry because my seat got wet
😅😅😅😅💀
Thanks for the quick response, I'll get aligning them first. Then I'll try to scope out a seal.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #22162
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at... I'm investigating water leaks for a daily driven car. I have my door cards off and with the windows closed, water seeps into the inside of the door from the outside. Since its like that for both sides, I'm looking for clarification if that's how it's supposed to be.

Water can run down the window and get inside the door around the belt molding. Make sure the drains along the bottom are clear. Other than sound deadening, the plastic around the inside of the door is there to keep moisture out of the interior.

If water is coming in along the top of the window, then you'll need to check the rubber seals or adjust windows.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #22163
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Water can run down the window and get inside the door around the belt molding. Make sure the drains along the bottom are clear. Other than sound deadening, the plastic around the inside of the door is there to keep moisture out of the interior.

If water is coming in along the top of the window, then you'll need to check the rubber seals or adjust windows.
The water is essentially running down the window from the outside and once it hits the stretch of trim along the bottom of the window leaks through into the door. I have my door card removed and the plastic film torn off, so I can see whats going on.

Is that plastic trim Im talking about called the belt moulding?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #22164
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
The water is essentially running down the window from the outside and once it hits the stretch of trim along the bottom of the window leaks through into the door. I have my door card removed and the plastic film torn off, so I can see whats going on.

Is that plastic trim Im talking about called the belt moulding?
The trim along the bottom of the window is the belt molding. What you're describing is normal. A new molding might hug the glass a little better, but always going to have some water getting in there.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #22165
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Didn't know where else to ask this and just wanted you guys opinion. Ive always loved the R33 wheels but unfotunately they only made them as 17's and I really only like to run 17/18 on my car.

However I saw this purple car on instagram with M-Parallels on his car. Do you guys think the R33 wheels up front and the M-Parallels on the back would match up well or no? The Bmw wheels would need to be re-drilled to 5x114.3 as they come 5x120.

The M-Parallels dont really concave like the R33.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #22166
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

I would venture to say that with the two different wheels being on the same car and so close to each other, it may look okay at a quick glance or possibly rolling. but I can guarantee you if you are nit picky about the details like some are, you will see the differences in the wheels and that is the first thing you will always see when you look at your car in that hypothetical state (such as the concavity issue you mentioned). it would drive me up the wall.

I do wish that r33 wheels did come in 18x9 as well. :/
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #22167
blindside73

blindside73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside73 View Post
Yes those are the codes. Any insight to the CEL NOT illuminating?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Fix the CEL. I had an intake leak at the EGR and intake manifold. Replaced the gasket and so far so good. Still working on getting it through the SRT drive cycle.

Still needed to address the CEL illumination issue.
blindside73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #22168
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
please make this happen and make a build thread
Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #22169
S14DB
AFC #1

I would rather do a 1mz swap.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #22170
kenndyla938

kenndyla938 is an unknown quantity at this point
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

Hi I have a 1990 240sx s13 should I have power to both sides on all the injectors when the key is off?

kenndyla938 is offline   Reply With Quote