Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
a3dicbillygoat

Trader Rating: (0)
a3dicbillygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Arts and Crafts! lets sniff glue

SUP My names Steve, I'm 14 years old and The beginning of this threads gonna suck sorry. it's all from memory.

So. I bought a clean bone stock 1993 hatch back in august of 2012. It was auto transmission that could not select any gears. That was not a problem I planned on doing a 5 speed swap anyway.

(insert pick of car coming home on trailer)

Got home checked it out more It had 0 rust because the whole under side of the car was coated in transmission and motor oil. I was happy. First thing I did was gut the car. I do not like plastic interior bullshit, carpet, roof liner or any comfort features, this was going to be my race car. I traded a couple of interior pieces for some solid subframe bushings. Next converted the car to manual windows.

pulled the subframe and installed my solid bushings. Cleaned it up then painted it silver

(insert silver subframe pic here)

Since the diff was out of the car I went ahead and sent my diff out to PBM to get welded. Probably could have found someone local to weld it just as good for less but it's all good.

Re installed subframe.
Bought a trans, flywheel and clutch used. bought all new clutch master cylinder, steel braded line, and slave cylinder.

pulled the auto transmission from under the car while it was on jacks which was a horrible idea. I didn't realize how easy it was to pull a motor at the time and my dad didn't want me pulling it in the driveway. Probably spent more time trying to remove a couple bolts than it takes to pull a whole motor. I was pissed. I also tried to replace the oil pan gasket from under the car which took longer than pulling the motor and didn't even fix the oil leak. Got more pissed.

Got PBM to mod my knuckles

Pulled the motor a month later to install the transmission. it was my first time ever pulling a motor. I was over joyed at how easy it was.

(insert pic of motor and trans out of car)

once the motor and trans where installed I tried to bleed the brakes. dust came out of the master cylinder and brake lines. Thas cool was gonna buy z32 brakes anyways
Bought z32 front and rear brakes.
drilled the rotors and hub myself at home with a drill press. turned out awesome. now the car is 5 lug front. Kept the car 4 lug rear and just drilled the rotors to 4 lug. I kept the rear 4 lug since the car has maybe 110 hp, the tires are cheaper and It will drift better like this.

Sent my lower control arms to abercrombi motorsports to get extended and boxed. (which took 9 months) So pissed.
bought Abercrombie tie rod ends.

got stock lower control arms from someone on here just to drive the car.

bought PBM in line hydraulic e brake. installed it. it sucked. pissed. bleed for 2 hours still sucked but would lock up the tires. thought maybe he pads arn't bighting the rotor hard enough so I slotted the rear rotors myself. turned out all sick like. and made the hydro work better. even though its probably my calipers fault In retrospect I would not buy a inline again. stock tiny disk and brake works better.

Bought a LS1 short block that had a spun rod bearing with intentions of doing a NA build.

(insert pic of LS1)

SOLD my 350z I was so happy. I had so much hate and resentment twards that car.
start things off my 350z I sold to fund my current build
My 350z

350z

Ex gf photo shoot

First time ever drifting my 350z. I used to never clutch kick so my clutch would last as long as possible which is why my entries suck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fPyZ-k_SJc

This is when things got srs.

had every part I needed for my LS1 build in my shopping kart on enjuku totaled out to $15,345 not including a cage or transmission. decided to wait a week.

At the end of that week browsing through instagram I noticed Tom Barnhartt was wanting to sell his car a couple weeks prior. I contacted Tom Barnhartt about buying his chassis. He told me his car wasn't for sale anymore. I was sad............................... :| BUT he told me his friend Scott Neener's car was for sale. if anyone knows these two cars they are basically "sister" cars Tom's is black paint splatter and Scotts was white paint splatter. Scotts is lighter due to the less intricate and thinner wall tubing cage Built by Tom. (Tom's was built to pretty old FD ruled that mandated a thicker cage) There are obviously quite a few other differences but It doesn't matter.

In my head I'm thinking why the fuck would I spend a shit load of money just to say "yeah I built it" At that point I decided to stop taking the stairs and hopped on the Elevator.

Contacted Scott on facebook telling him I was interested in purchasing his car. Two days later loaded up a trailer (my first day off work) and I drove down with cash in hand to buy the car. Loved everything about the car it was exactly what I wanted. LS1, Big wing, swag, cage, loud pipes, and a mother fucking lambo door. didn't even haggle with price. told him to shut up and take my money. (not really)

(Car interior)

(Car front)

Sweet wheels

Sweet wheels

1989 240sx
2004 GTO LS1 and T-56 transmission with sikky swap kit $7000
Cage by Tom Barnhart $2000
Tein custom valved coilovers $1500-$2000
Areomotive A1000 fuel pump $380
Aluminum radiation (check name) $400
Spal radiator fans $450
VIS full body kit: front, rear, sides $450
rear over fenders $250
front fenders $300
Fiberglass hood $450
Carbon fiber trunk $800
Lexan rear window $150
Big wing $750
Megan racing rear arms $370
Megan racing tension rod $110
GTR 32mm front calipers $300
Five lug swap $480
LS1 fuel rail $160
Fuel lines $160
Areomotive fuel pressure regulator w gauge $224
Cry02 $390
Automeater gauges $200
Welded s14 diff $200
Megan racing rear $100
Solid rear subframe bushings $100
Megan racing outer tie rods $110
Momo START 2011 racing seats x2 $1000
Racequip 5 point harness $150
Impact 4 point harness $150
Total +-18,504

Not including wiring, relays, fuel cell trunk work, fuel lines, AN fittings, boxed lower control arms and tension rods, filled frame holes, cut doors, fitting body kit, filling gas tank hole, paint and stich welded chassis.

BAM cars home.

(Car side)

Did my first event a month later. I Did OK. nothing I would brag about. It was my first time ever drifting a 240 or even a car with a locking rear diff. I sucked at with the e brake because I never got it heated up enough to be consistant. This car transitions really really weird because the back is so light. Scott told me it was a rear weight issue which I concurred with. The car also had a shit load of akerman built into the front spindles that I didn't like. I felt like the front was scrubbing to much speed on entry and causing the back to come around. (we will see if this was actually the issue sept 19th) The car also got hot which I did not like and I did not have the CryO2 tank filled to help cool it down. I Also didn't realize fuel temperature was going to be an issue and ended up vapor locking the car for probably the scariest 20 minuets ever. I aslo did my first tandem run ever with huff and left foot braked that same run which was really cool.

The event was a huge learning experience and I felt like I needed to change the car to better suit my driving style.

That being said. I've changed a couple things most wouldn't notice.

-Put 25mm extended s14 FLCA that Abercrombie made for me on the car as well as my PBM knuckles.

Lock

Me fitment

-moved the wing back 10mm and increased it rake by a couple degrees.
-before

-after plastidip to make sure I like color matched wing

-completely re wired the chassis harness on the car because the one that was on it SUCKED me and Scott both had a lot of issues with it. (If anyone ever needs any harness work done I'm down to help)
Chassis harness

-made camber lockout plate for the front strut to knuckle bolts because the bolt would slip and loose camber under hard driving.
-made a steel frame around the radiator I am going to bolt or un bolt aluminum ducting panels to depending on cooling needs.

First time gas weld

-bought PBM rear drop knuckles with dual caliper mounts for z32 brakes
Drop knuckles

Drop knuckles

-bought another set of brand new refurbished z32 rear calipers (not going to install until my rear project mu pads die)
Sweet cat

-Installed strobes in front blinker holes
-swapped out the front gtr calipers that where mated to a huge mark 4 supra rotor to my Z32 calipers and rotors
-re routed the intake and filter placement to get it away from the tubless front wheel wells and to fit a massive K&N filter
Intake filter

-bought a sparco R 215 steering wheel and replaced the stock steering wheel
Wheel rack spacers

-In the proses of moving the battery to the rear of the car next to the fuel cell under the floor on the passenger to increase rear weight

-added door locks
-bought and installed PBM eccentric rack spacers
-bought the wheels Scott used to have on the car

-put the e brake cables from my other 240 onto this car
-moved the mirrors

stay tuned, talk crap, debate swag and it's effects on modern day society.

Dat ass

Jdm as fuck

Clean

Poster

Front me

Me ass

Interior new wheel

Interior

Lambo

Car friends house

Tires for drift

Sweet wheels

Intake

Me drift

There is still a lot I am setting up for to make this car better in the future.
-Got a monster stage 3 clutch
-moved battery to rear of hatch under the floor for better weight distribution
-more intricate cage work
-color change
-more body mods
-front splitter and rear diffuser
-t74 turbo
-new hood
-50mm extended notched LCA's
-move steering rack further forward
-re do interior
-more gauges
-new driver seat

As you can see there is still a LOT that will be done to this car despite it looking like its already done.
a3dicbillygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm lost are you 16 now? Lol
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
skimmpysb
Zilvia Junkie

skimmpysb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
I'm lost are you 16 now? Lol
lolololol same. hes not 16, thats a grown ass man
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was gonna say. ha
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I am so confused. Nice build, I think?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
he may not be 14/16 but sure writes like one.....

Cool car, nice skidz! me like.
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
First I was gonna say there's no way you're 14 if you could even afford a 350Z.

Then I saw this car's paint job...
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
U mirin

U mirin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
First I was gonna say there's no way you're 14 if you could even afford a 350Z.

Then I saw this car's paint job...
el oh el
U mirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
a3dicbillygoat

9/19/2014 event update!

Going into this event I had no idea how the new front steering set up was going to react with all the changes I made. I changed almost everything on the front end:extended FLCA's, Moog drop ball joints, offset tension rods, PBM knucles, PBM rack spacers and Abercrombie tie rods.

The first run of the day/night I ran into realllllly bad overcentering issues when taking left turns that I needed to fix. it was super sketchy like rip the steering wheel out of my hands status. I ended up decreasing the caster to help prevent over centering and it helped.

Run number two the changes felt great no over centering when drifting to the left but when I slid the car to the right I felt a slight over centering that I needed to adjust. I ended up spinning out on this run because I transitioned to hard and then got back on the throttle to soon. noob mistake. oh well.

Third run of the night felt great, did the whole coarse had a blast. then realized my master cylinder was failing. sick.

What was going to be the fourth run of the day my car was having extremely sporadic electrical output. This ended my night and I limped home. At the time I didn't realize this was from the battery cable being completely coroaded on the positive terminal.

Last edited by a3dicbillygoat; 10-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: filling imformation
Old 10-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
a3dicbillygoat

More photos from the event

I'm also in the very very beginning stages of completely re doing my dash

Still need to do a lot of trimming but here's the ruff draft.

Decided to change up the interior a little bit and do something different. Cut the waterfall ish shape off the bottom of the dash to make my current set up. This makes it way easier to remove the dash and trouble shoot any possible connection or wiring issues that might ever arise. It also looks a lot cleaner and adds some more personal style to the build.

moved the main power switch to the roof because I feel cool touching things on my roof. makes me feel like an aviation pilot or something.

Still need to do the on off lights but I'm going to wait till after the event to put them on.

first drive after re wiring.

I did another event I still need to get the footage off my camera.

I tried a reverse entry for the first time and it went pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlasD...C9Ut8A&index=1 until the trunk latches broke LoL

luckily my trunk is fiberglass so I will be able to repair it. I also need another piece of lexan since mine cracked from it flexing back.

and my last attempt before ending my night. If I would have had the revs up before letting the clutch out it would have been perfect. but after this run I noticed that my car was burning a shit load of oil on start up. I came to the conclusion my 7th cylinder valve seal is messed up and letting oil poor into the combustion chamber which I do not appreciate. So that pass ended my night.

Because I have to replace the valve seals I'm going to go ahead and buy tooley dual valve springs and get this thing ready for a tick stage 2 turbo cam
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
a3dicbillygoat

I should have a couple up dates coming soon. I've changed a couple thing since my last post.

but heres a burnout to keep to keep this thread alive. I did this in remembrance of a friend who passed away last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUEu_ewxrjo
Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I enjoy the doors on this car.
Also your photo captions.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
a3dicbillygoat

hey guys!

i did some more skid racing. heres a little clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDWcRAzUMc

4th gear entries getting near 90 degrees are always fun

Last edited by a3dicbillygoat; 12-28-2014 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: dumb dumb
Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
Slims
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Slims is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
not sure if this was mentioned, but out of concern to keeping a sweet ride on the road you may want to relocate your fuel pump. if anything to prolong its life.
Slims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't know where to start with this thread haha...

Whoever payed 2 grand for that cage got raped with no lube, and those aren't lambo doors... Carry on! Seems like you're having fun though.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
a3dicbillygoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slims View Post
not sure if this was mentioned, but out of concern to keeping a sweet ride on the road you may want to relocate your fuel pump. if anything to prolong its life.
I'm well aware of this situation. I always keep the tank as full as possible to prevent any kind of pump starvation. I am going to lower it very soon as well as get a bigger fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I don't know where to start with this thread haha...

Whoever payed 2 grand for that cage got raped with no lube, and those aren't lambo doors... Carry on! Seems like you're having fun though.
I do not know the actual price of the cage that was put in the car. That however around my town is what the going price of a cage that fits way shittier would go for.
sorry mclearen p1 doors?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
benarovi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
benarovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
man this thing looks rad on the vsxx even with the paint job. nice work.
benarovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
a3dicbillygoat

OH YEAH! I forgot to post the most epic picture I have ever had taken of me

Hahaha 4th gear sweeper driving with my knee posing for the camera!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
右側のドライブシルビア

Trader Rating: (3)
右側のドライブシルビア is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Awesome thread
右側のドライブシルビア is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Wheel Lounge
Leaky Injector

Wheel Lounge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wheel Lounge
that 350z fitment was sick!
Wheel Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
you're 14 years old?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #22
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome ride man i think that paint job is very unique i like that look ! i went to your youtube page, car sounds amazing ! keep up the good work !

i sub'd

EDIT: does that car have long tubes ?
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #23
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can you give everyone the answer of your age!if your doin all this work and have had all these cars I give you props for being able to do it so young! assuming your parents funded it all doesn't matter since your into this then the other b.s kids your age are doin!good job
Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
I have known Steve for years, he is def 14.

Steve, you are the gnarest 14 year old ever. Go bears!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #25
nielssan

nielssan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to nielssan
[Captain Obvious]

"Accidentally" typo?

[/Captain Obvious]

Like your sense of humour though.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #26
a3dicbillygoat

Got a couple small updates and pictures from The last drift event.

Car ran great at the last event. had no mechanical issues besides my brake master cylinder dying as i pulled into the event

With my brake master dead i didnt feel comfortable doing tandem runs which sucked because there where some good drivers at the event.

blowin up body kits.

clipping points ftw!

I got a video or two i need to load onto youtube and post up aswell but im lazy.

After christmas I got a new helmet for karting/drifting.
Its possibly the best helmet i have ever felt.

installed FD legal rear brake light. I'm slowly trying to make this car FD legal. it would be cool to try some pro am events in 2016.

Pictures of the battery tray I made a while back. It added rear weight i needed and also counterbalances my weight in the drivers seat.

pictures of my rocker arm's

close up of da paint. Its mothers snow white pearl over a yellow base. it's actually really cool in person. it sucks i cant get a good picture of it since i suck at photography.

Unfortunately when taking my friend for a drive i had an injector fail. took my whole fuel system apart and there was so much tire debree and dirt in the system i decided to deep clean everything and ordering a new injector.

so as for now i/m re doing my rear fuel system.
Lowering the pump, better fuel filter and new fuel lines to try to keep dirt out of the system as well as a new gas cap.

**Step back into the past**
At the last night event i attended my trunk latches broke during a reverse entry and ended up folding my carbon trunk back enough to almost hit my windsheild. heres a picture of it halfways through the specticle

because of that incident I decided that i no longer want my wing connected to my trunk. I moved my wing stands to the gutter rails in the 1/4 panels.

I re drilled the wing for new mounting holes and used riv nuts and JB weld to hold the threads in place.

i like the way it looks better and i can increase the wing angle more without worrying about cracking my carbon trunk or it flying up on reverse entrys.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #27
a3dicbillygoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkiSwiH9y8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDWcRAzUMc
Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
so im not sure if your names really Steve or not so I'm gonna just call you steve anyway lol. I saw your car first over at .net and recently at a event. If your interested in getting some photos of the car let me know i do a little photography on the side. Nothing crazy but I'm trying to get better. Will you be out at green cove on the 14th?
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #29
a3dicbillygoat

Got my fuel system all figured out. Lowering the pump and increasing my fuel filter surface area by about 58 square inches.

Started my other s13 so I could shoot flames.

I contacted Low brain a while back and Julian sent me the pdf file to create the low brain vinyl. Had my friend who works with identity design in Jacksonville to get it cut up for me. It turned out pretty epic. The gray matches my roof perfectly and the black rainbow flake goes with my paint amazingly. Ill have to get some daytime shots of it soon tomorrow.

Also yes the car does have long tubes. sikky long tubes to 3 inch merg collectors to a 4 inch y pipe straight out of the back.

Yes i will be at the green cove drift event on the 14th it should be a good time.

If anyone wants to see the car in person I will be at Import face off in gainsville this weekend.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #30
Salvarath
Leaky Injector

Salvarath is an unknown quantity at this point
You sir, should update this.