Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kouki1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 timing chain question

I am fairly new to working on cars so bare with me.

so i am doing a timing rebuild on a ka and i've got it all lined up with where the marks are supposed to be, but every time i turn the crank it always changes where the marks are and its always about a tooth off (i have read on some forums that it i supposed to line up after two full rotations). well my question is whether this is normal? i also want to add that i made the mistake of moving the crank when it was at tdc with the front chain off, could this be the cause of the timing being all off? i have redone the timing but im still having the same issue...

any feedback is appreciated
Kouki1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
timing chain question

You should post pictures that would help. I had to do this about 3000 times because i drank too much and kept fuckin it up lmao. You should be at tdc to start obviously, 2nd to the left marker or put a screw driver in the #1 piston hole and crank till its all the way to the top. After that just take your sprockets and throw em on, i found it easiest to start with the exhaust side and then just muscle the chain onto the intake cam sprocket. Not 100% sure where your issue lies though since there's no pics. If you can post some i could help you get this worked out in like five minutes haha.

Also if you have everything lined up and looks good then you are done. Turnig the crank just once after its set will change where all the markers are, but your timing is still correct. It would take a good bit of turns to get everything to line up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
count the links between the marks...if its the same as when you first started then its good...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by staying_chuki View Post
You should post pictures that would help. I had to do this about 3000 times because i drank too much and kept fuckin it up lmao. You should be at tdc to start obviously, 2nd to the left marker or put a screw driver in the #1 piston hole and crank till its all the way to the top. After that just take your sprockets and throw em on, i found it easiest to start with the exhaust side and then just muscle the chain onto the intake cam sprocket. Not 100% sure where your issue lies though since there's no pics. If you can post some i could help you get this worked out in like five minutes haha.

Also if you have everything lined up and looks good then you are done. Turnig the crank just once after its set will change where all the markers are, but your timing is still correct. It would take a good bit of turns to get everything to line up again.

so basically i set up the timing marks all perfectly but i also made the mistake of turning the crank when the upper timing chain was off, i am almost 100% sure i have the timing down, but i am a bit doubtful because i turned the crank independently, so my cams are at TDC. i don't know if by moving the crank by itself you risk putting everything out of whack. i'm gonna post pictures in a bit.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

when i initially started this was my timing at tdc

https://i.imgur.com/KfseFMc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/12i2O2G.jpg
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Kouki1998
Leaky Injector

this is my timing now after i turned the crank independently

https://i.imgur.com/aC67Z0W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2YiADT4.jpg
Old 05-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
timing chain question

Alright so your initial timing doesnt really mean shit because the markers will sit at a different position with each stroke. If you never took the chain off then tdc is tdc no matter where the marks are and you're fine. If you did take the chain off all you need to do is set it to tdc and line up the colored links with the dots. Its really simple once you figure it out. If you still dont understand watch the "ka24de timing explained" videos on youtube.

Im really unsure wether or not you took the chain off tbh. I cant load the last pic you posted.

staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yes itll be off every rotation I came to the conclusion it takes an ascenine number of rotations to line them all back up again. but its perfectly normal
Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
nzmoman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
nzmoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
count the links between the marks...if its the same as when you first started then its good...

This is your answer^^^^ it’s not about the marks it’s about the number of links between each mark. If your #1 is at compression TDC and you have the proper number of links between each mark, you are good.

Note how each of your marks are 4 links off. That’s okay and you don’t have to take it off again unless you just want to b/c you’re OCD.

Just make sure you remember that the distributor will rotate a little when it goes in. If you account for that you’re good to go based off of the picture you posted.

nzmoman is offline   Reply With Quote