Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
iAMprojekt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
iAMprojekt is making a name for him/her selfiAMprojekt is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iAMprojekt
sr20det manifold/exhaust leak help

well ive got an exhaust leak and its coming from right below the manifold as illustrated in the pic below.... but when i put a jack up under the downpipe to see if that stopped the leak the car started idleing higher. i raised the jack 3 pumps and with each pump the idle increased.

help.... is this something like a vacuum leak? and how do i fix this etc....

thanks in advance

iAMprojekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pull it apart and you will probably find the gasket is shot. When you get it apart might as well inspect for other gaskets and problems.
MADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
iAMprojekt
Leaky Injector

iAMprojekt is making a name for him/her selfiAMprojekt is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Pull it apart and you will probably find the gasket is shot. When you get it apart might as well inspect for other gaskets and problems.
yea, i thought about doing that... but working around that area is a pain....

would i start from the bottom (unbolting DP and working my way up.....)

or start from the top? (move I/C piping out the way, etc...)
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go to Zeroyon.com or anyother site that has a FSM you can download and it explains it all. Trust me that spot is not hard to work with compared to other cars. Plenty of room just ask Z owners

So easy a cave man can do it.
MADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
iAMprojekt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Go to Zeroyon.com or anyother site that has a FSM you can download and it explains it all. Trust me that spot is not hard to work with compared to other cars. Plenty of room just ask Z owners

So easy a cave man can do it.

haha thanks. im going to tackle it tomorrow. its leaking pretty badly...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
IRN
Leaky Injector

IRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really nice
i had that leak on me a few times. do it once right and get new locking tabs under the nuts from nissan. its not fun ripping it out 3 weeks later for the same exact problem. start with disconnecting o2, oil + coolant lines, hot pipe, intake filter tube, and the rest of the easy stuff. take off the downpipe from the elbow and then the manifold and pull the whole thing (mani,turbo,elbow,w/ lines still on turbo) and take off the 2 nuts on the brake master and slide it to the side for room.