Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
s14pipe

Trader Rating: (0)
s14pipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation E85 help!!! (injectors)

Hello,

I just recently switched my s14 sr20 to E85 running FiveO 750cc side feed injectors which were about two years old. I ran the car to the point the tank was almost empty before the ecu tune and then filled the tank with E85 i had ready in some jugs. After running the car for maybe 5 minutes the first injector was fatally stuck up open and couldn't be saved by servicing. I purchased a new injector believing it was just an isolated case but two days later (only half a tank later since initial fill up) same story with another injector, wide stuck open and no repair was possible.

There is no evidence of any kind of debris in the fuel filter or in the external filter these side feed injectors have. All rubber fuel lines were replaced two months ago and there is also no evidence of any black goo some people develop in their engines.

My question is could debris caused by first E85 tank be traveling past the filters (new cellulose 10 micron) all the way up to the injectors? or could it just be deposits being loosened up from the injector's internals?

At this point i dont know if the problem is caused by E85 loosening up deposits or JECS injectors being very sensitive to rust. Can anybody shed some light? I dont want to replace two more injectors believing the problem was the injectors themselves to have them stuck again. Both times i sent the stuck injectors for service the shop said nothing about a bad coil.

Additionally, the new injectors i received from Five O have four holes in the bottom versus a single pin type aperture the old ones have, are older pin type injectors more sensitive to clogging?

Thank you.
s14pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
richierichness

richierichness is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't look like anyone has helped you on here but my questions would be, are those injectors e85 compatible (probably yes but thought i'd ask)? Also make sure the fuel lines are compliant for ethanol.
richierichness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very odd, it may be possible some crud is coming loose due to the e85 and it's corrosive properties. Perhaps it's dislodging years of buildup and causing the injectors to clog. Also, Make sure new tune doesn't have injectors on some crazy duty cycle causing them to burn out.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
s14pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierichness View Post
Doesn't look like anyone has helped you on here but my questions would be, are those injectors e85 compatible (probably yes but thought i'd ask)? Also make sure the fuel lines are compliant for ethanol.
Hello,

Yes sir the injectors are supposed to be E85 compatible as long as you are running ethanol "stabilizer" or just a tank of gas from time to time. Fuel lines are also new and E85 rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Very odd, it may be possible some crud is coming loose due to the e85 and it's corrosive properties. Perhaps it's dislodging years of buildup and causing the injectors to clog. Also, Make sure new tune doesn't have injectors on some crazy duty cycle causing them to burn out.
I double checked with the tuner about the injectors beforehand and they were approved. My initial thought was they failed to handle the abuse (im running a gt2871 .64a/r at 22psi) but the shop i sent them for repair told me nothing about the coil or something related being damaged, just said they were physically stuck so i'm taking their word for it.

I still cant make up my mind if whether i should just replace the last 2 injectors and blame it on the old set, or if that would be a horrible idea since its evident debris is clogging them. Any opinions?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
tgd89
Leaky Injector

tgd89 is on a distinguished road
What base fuel pressure are you running? 22 psi on 750's on e85 sounds like a pretty friggin high duty cycle to me at 43.5 base pressure. I run sard 850s @60psi base 20~23 psi and am running a much higher duty cycle than I'd like.
tgd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
s14pipe

Okay so i finally figured out what it was, the E85 corroded the injectors to death. I found out as one of them was fine when i drove home and took the injectors out the car onto a table for a few days, then when i installed the injectors again after receiving some replacement parts it got stuck wide open after the first crank.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
s14pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd89 View Post
What base fuel pressure are you running? 22 psi on 750's on e85 sounds like a pretty friggin high duty cycle to me at 43.5 base pressure. I run sard 850s @60psi base 20~23 psi and am running a much higher duty cycle than I'd like.
My base pressure was 50 psi, are you running E85???
Old 02-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
tgd89
Leaky Injector

tgd89 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'm running e85 at the 60 psi base pressure.
tgd89 is offline   Reply With Quote